Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, jaws said:

I posted this in a status update. It was already established that Urban knew, I am assuming the school knew, and there were tweets about it from elevenwarriors before Urban knew spoke about it at Big Ten media days. 

I don't get the press. Nasrallah says, "I wrote around it for six years."

Why?  What possible good does that do for anyone?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

2020 headline - Nebraska's Maurice Washington sets all-time NCAA single-game rushing record with 527 yards against Buckeye defense

2021 headline - Ohio State to revamp image by hiring Mike Riley and his bag of werthers.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, jaws said:

True, and if he knew, how many other people in the press knew? 

I respect the press. I want to trust them. But stuff like this kills me. People in Lincoln (& Omaha) know so much shady s#!t that happens in Nebraska's program, but it'll never see the papers. It's that way all across the country.  What horrors are being hidden at programs, and why? 

• Plus1 3

Hows this for guilt tripping someone into dropping charges?

A few days after Zach’s 2009 arrest, Courtney said two of Meyer’s closest friends – Hiram de Fries and Earle Bruce – asked her to drop the charges. Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather, de Fries is Meyer’s “life coach.”

Bruce, who died in April, has a special place in Meyer’s heart. Bruce succeeded Woody Hayes at Ohio State from 1979-87, posting an 81-26-1 record in nine seasons.

“He is the strongest relationship I’ve ever had other than my father,” Meyer said last week. “I’ve made that clear many, many times.”

Bruce and Zach’s mother drove from Ohio to Gainesville to ask Courtney to drop the charges, Courtney said. Courtney said she also received a call from de Fries to set up a meeting at Panera Bread on SW Archer Road in Gainesville.

Meyer and de Fries’ relationship goes back more than 20 years, when Meyer was an assistant at Colorado State in the 1990s. Unofficially, de Fries has been a professional life skills expert the past two decades. His official title at Ohio State: special assistant to the head coach.

de Fries seems like a real, how do you say it? Oh, yeah jackass.....

On a July morning in 2009, Courtney Smith sat across the table from de Fries, a former attorney and Shell Oil executive. Courtney said de Fries pressured her to drop the charges.

“He said ‘if you don’t drop the charges, Zach will never coach again,’ ” Courtney said. “ ‘He’s never hit you before. He was drinking. He’ll probably never do it again. You should think about giving him a second chance.’ “

Ultimately, Courtney said she relented to de Fries and didn’t press charges. Courtney had convinced herself this would never happen again.

She was wrong.

• Plus1 2