Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is my understanding that unless the victim is an employee or student of Ohio St., title IX doesn't apply to this situation.

Title IX is a federal civil rights law in the United States of America that was passed as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. This is Public Law No. 92‑318, 86 Stat. 235 (June 23, 1972), codified at 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681–1688. It was co-authored and introduced by Senator Birch Bayh in the U.S. Senate. It was later renamed the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act in 2002 after Patsy Mink, its late U.S. House co-author and sponsor. The following is the original text as written and signed into law by President Richard Nixon in 1972:[1]

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

— Cornell Law School's Legal Information Institute (20 U.S. Code § 1681 

8 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

It is my understanding that unless the victim is an employee or student of Ohio St., title IX doesn't apply to this situation.

Title IX is a federal civil rights law in the United States of America that was passed as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. This is Public Law No. 92‑318, 86 Stat. 235 (June 23, 1972), codified at 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681–1688. It was co-authored and introduced by Senator Birch Bayh in the U.S. Senate. It was later renamed the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act in 2002 after Patsy Mink, its late U.S. House co-author and sponsor. The following is the original text as written and signed into law by President Richard Nixon in 1972:[1]

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

— Cornell Law School's Legal Information Institute (20 U.S. Code § 1681 

If a fellow school employee is beating his wife you have to report it....

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

I respect the press. I want to trust them. But stuff like this kills me. People in Lincoln (& Omaha) know so much shady s#!t that happens in Nebraska's program, but it'll never see the papers. It's that way all across the country.  What horrors are being hidden at programs, and why? 

I'd like to think that isn't true about Nebraska.  I doubt there was much going on the past few years... we weren't good enough.. and I'm sure someone would have dropped a dime if Riley was covering up something, just to get rid of him.  Under Bo I always thought he wouldn't put up with nonsense but there was Kaz.  I think his problems came out after he was let go but maybe not.

16 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

That's not true. Title IX extends much further than the snippet you've provided here and it still applies even if the victim is a non-student (if it didn't, that would be asinine).

Most universities also cover this in their Title IX documentation. Here is UNL's:

All forms of sexual harassment, including but not limited to, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault are violations of Title IX and prohibited by UNL.

Zach Smith was a university employee accused of beating his wife and these actions were not reported which (by the law) would be a violation of Title IX.

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's not true. Title IX extends much further than the snippet you've provided here and it still applies even if the victim is a non-student (if it didn't, that would be asinine).

Most university's also cover this in their Title IX documentation. Here is UNL's:

All students, faculty and staff at UNL are protected by Title IX (regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, full or part-time status, disability, race or national origin) in all aspects of UNL’s educational programs and activities. All forms of sexual harassment, including but not limited to, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault are violations of Title IX and prohibited by UNL.

I think Urban is toast, and should be; but I do not believe this is a Title IX issue, as noted above from the UNL link you provided.

7 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

All students, faculty and staff at UNL are protected by Title IX (regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, full or part-time status, disability, race or national origin) in all aspects of UNL’s educational programs and activities. All forms of sexual harassment, including but not limited to, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault are violations of Title IX and prohibited by UNL.

I think Urban is toast, and should be; but I do not believe this is a Title IX issue, as noted above from the UNL link you provided.

Urban is required by title IX to report instances of Domestic Abuse...hell it is even in his contract...