Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, VectorVictor said:

Right. But can you realistically fire a whole staff now...?

It'll be really interesting to see what happens with the assistant coaches.  If they stick with Urban there's a good chance none of those guys coach again (or at least they're on the shelf for a while).  Sure, Meyer, Schiano and Wilson are fine financially so if they get a scarlet letter they can survive.  The other guys on the staff?  I'm not sure...the urge to protect one's own skin is a strong one.

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You wouldn't think so, unless they round up a few coaches that arent coaching on a 1 year stint. No clue it's a mess that Urban and his staff appear to have put themselves in if they didnt report issues. 

Let's not forget the kids in all of this. Not their fault their coaches are potentially shady AF. 

I hope the NCAA steps in and lets these kids transfer without penalty if tOSU does have to terminate most/all of the coaching staff. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Let's not forget the kids in all of this. Not their fault their coaches are potentially shady AF. 

I hope the NCAA steps in and lets these kids transfer without penalty if tOSU does have to terminate most/all of the coaching staff. 

Holy smokes can you imagine the feeding frenzy that will take place if that happens?  It would be the PSU situation times 5.

13 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think the question we should be asking at this point is if anyone from the current staff (save the interim HC) survive--to me, the Administrative Leave is the preface to a firing with cause, especially at this time of year. 

Interesting question. Theoretically, they could fire the whole staff, and I think making Day the interim says a lot. It will come down to showing which coaches knew what. Any that did know will likely be held to the same standard as Urban.

6 minutes ago, ADS said:

Yes, when your reputation is on the line.  The question is will they?  Doubtful.

The trickle down affect would be crazy if they did.

Ohio State is a big time job and so whoever takes it over will either: A) Leave a current team right before the season starts or B)be an unemployed big name coach who will poach position coaches from other schools.

20 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Ohio State is a big time job and so whoever takes it over will either: A) Leave a current team right before the season starts or B)be an unemployed big name coach who will poach position coaches from other schools.

I wanna see the mayhem, is that bad? 

• Plus1 5
15 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Or you raid the announcing booth and get some talking heads to not sink the ship for a year.   Mack Brown or Jim Mora as HC, Chris Carter as WR, Joel Klatt as QB coach, Robert Smith at RB etc.  You could fill out a big name (not good coach necessarily) staff and have them recruit to the school, not the coach and have a serviceable season.  Get some former players who love Ohio State who can sell the school and they could survive a season.

3 minutes ago, jaws said:

I have a feeling that people will be upset with whatever OSU decides about Urban. So how many coaches around the country are doing extra background checks into their staff to make sure a case like this doesn't bite them in the end? 

Of course people will! In this day and age, people use social media to be vile towards one another without any repercussions. 

Non-OSU fans will be pissed if Meyer is kept on and OSU fans will say its a witch-hunt and succumb to the Baylor defense of, "other programs are covering up too" if he is let go. However, the latter cannot and should not be a defense. If we have coaches that are covering up domestic violence, they should be let go immediately. At the end of the day, college football is a game and the livelihood of women should not play second fiddle to a bunch of 18-22 year old men hitting one another.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, sho said:

Or you raid the announcing booth and get some talking heads to not sink the ship for a year.   Mack Brown or Jim Mora as HC, Chris Carter as WR, Joel Klatt as QB coach, Robert Smith at RB etc.  You could fill out a big name (not good coach necessarily) staff and have them recruit to the school, not the coach and have a serviceable season.  Get some former players who love Ohio State who can sell the school and they could survive a season.

Then hire Bo Pelini 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, jaws said:

I have a feeling that people will be upset with whatever OSU decides about Urban. So how many coaches around the country are doing extra background checks into their staff to make sure a case like this doesn't bite them in the end? 

I believe you're missing the point here--the point is that Urban (as confirmed by his wife's texts to the victim) knew about a domestic abuse issue perpetrated by one of his staff members, and covered it up instead of reporting it.

Had Urban Meyer or his wife done the right thing in 2015 and reported the issue (or sooner, if the other texts/info from the local paper is to be believed), then we're not having this discussion in this thread and we can go back to gnashing teeth about losing our only viable big man on the basketball team or if our D-Line will step up this season. Background checks aren't going to prevent someone from reporting up a new/occurring issue. 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

I believe you're missing the point here--the point is that Urban (as confirmed by his wife's texts to the victim) knew about a domestic abuse issue perpetrated by one of his staff members, and covered it up instead of reporting it.

Had Urban Meyer or his wife done the right thing in 2015 and reported the issue (or sooner, if the other texts/info from the local paper is to be believed), then we're not having this discussion in this thread and we can go back to gnashing teeth about losing our only viable big man on the basketball team or if our D-Line will step up this season. Background checks aren't going to prevent someone from reporting up a new/occurring issue. 

I don't think I am missing the point but whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How would a background check have prevented this?

A background check prevents this because there would have been no doubt that Urbs knew about this and would have been fired with cause thus eliminating the speculation of did he know/didn't he know and should he be fired or not