Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

How would a background check have prevented this?

I never said this would have prevented this situation. Maybe the school wouldn't have allowed the hire in the first place or maybe they would have seen the other alleged incidents, I don't know.

Just now, sho said:

A background check prevents this because there would have been no doubt that Urbs knew about this and would have been fired with cause thus eliminating the speculation of did he know/didn't he know and should he be fired or not

I think we have different ideas of what “this” is. 

Meyer being fired is what I mean by “prevented this.”

Just now, Moiraine said:

I think we have different ideas of what “this” is. 

Meyer being fired is what I mean by “prevented this.”

No, we don't you and @jaws do, I was just giving the only scenario where a background check would do anything to change Urbs situation.  The crux is Urb covered it up and lied and now he's up fecal creek with no paddle.

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

I never said this would have prevented this situation. Maybe the school wouldn't have allowed the hire in the first place or maybe they would have seen the other alleged incidents, I don't know.

You strongly implied by the below post that coaches could prevent this situation from happening with background checks, when in reality they can prevent it from happening by informing the right people when surprises come up. There is no way that background checks can “make sure” this doesn’t happen.

29 minutes ago, jaws said:

I have a feeling that people will be upset with whatever OSU decides about Urban. So how many coaches around the country are doing extra background checks into their staff to make sure a case like this doesn't bite them in the end? 

3 minutes ago, sho said:

A background check prevents this because there would have been no doubt that Urbs knew about this and would have been fired with cause thus eliminating the speculation of did he know/didn't he know and should he be fired or not

What exactly do you think a background check would have shown? Did Smith have any convictions on his record? And I am 100% certain that OSU did a background check upon his hire anyway.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

What exactly do you think a background check would have shown? Did Smith have any convictions on his record? And I am 100% certain that OSU did a background check upon his hire anyway.

He had something in 2009 which Meyer already knew about, and if I had to guess they would’ve let him hire him anyway.

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I love the honesty. I assume that more individuals share your opinion than would admit it.  

As a sports fan, I wanna see the mayhem too. But as someone who might actually be involved if the same situation if it happened at my workplace, I am following with great interest to see how OSU, and the public, responds. There will be lessons to be learned here at many levels!

17 minutes ago, sho said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall if Smith was ever charged/convicted for any of his domestic violence instances.  If he wasn't ever charged, those things wouldn't show up on a background check.

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall if Smith was ever charged/convicted for any of his domestic violence instances.  If he wasn't ever charged, those things wouldn't show up on a background check.

He wasn't. Charges were dropped once Meyer had his two buddies fly down to Florida to discuss the matter with the victim. Solid man right there, let me tell ya.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, Ulty said:

As a sports fan, I wanna see the mayhem too. But as someone who might actually be involved if the same situation if it happened at my workplace, I am following with great interest to see how OSU, and the public, responds. There will be lessons to be learned here at many levels!

Yeah I mean as a sports fan, seeing how a program such as tOSU would piece together a staff as practice starts tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It was a comment said with sarcasm because Jaws was implying a background check prevents this.   I was saying the only thing the background check prevents is the wild speculation of should he be fired or not or did Urb know or not.  It doesn't prevent Urb from covering it up and being a lying POS.