Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Meyer did report what he knew as he is now claiming, that should be quite easy to prove. If the Title ix Office mishandled it, that is plausible, but there would still be record of Meyer making the report.

These kind of reports at this kind of institution with this high profile of an employee are emailed, and copied to general counsel, presidents, title ix coordinators, etc. There is no way there wouldn’t be a paper trail or at least an email trail. Easily verifiable stuff.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Brett McMurphy is absolutely savage in all of this.

Not only does he give ESPN a big middle finger by continuing to get paid by them, while reporting on his own and breaking the biggest story of cfb (this year? so far? idk) on Facebook, but he's also completely RKOing Zach Smith and everyone involved.

Zach claims he never abused his wife?

Brett posts receipts of Zach acknowledging that he abused his wife.

They are trying to talk themselves out of this and side stepping...Brett's throwing hooks right into their kissers when they do. 

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

If Meyer did report what he knew as he is now claiming, that should be quite easy to prove. If the Title ix Office mishandled it, that is plausible, but there would still be record of Meyer making the report.

These kind of reports at this kind of institution with this high profile of an employee are emailed, and copied to general counsel, presidents, title ix coordinators, etc. There is no way there wouldn’t be a paper trail or at least an email trail. Easily verifiable stuff.

My guess...he is going to say that he "talked to Smith about it"  No paper, no email, no text...Meyer vs Smith...Meyer wins.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

He didn't misspeak. He explicitly denied any 2015 incident having happened. This is PR Lying 101. That press release should be used in classes that teaches people to make press releases to deny wrongdoing and obfuscate/distract/engage in damage control. 

Best case he's a liar. Medium case, he did know about the incident, and reported it, while continuing to employ a coach that he knew had a history of several abuse allegations. Worst case, all of that is true plus he didn't report it.

He might keep his job, but he's lost all credibility.

Let’s say he did report it. Should he fire Zack Smith for allegedly committing domestic abuse?  The word is allegedly. I’m not sure if all the facts. Did the wife file a police report? Or did she just tell a few associated with the football program? I saw the text message from her to Coach Smith on ESPN and found it odd, like leading and overly specific, but I’m also unsure of the context around it

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Let’s say he did report it. Should he fire Zack Smith for allegedly committing domestic abuse?  The word is allegedly. I’m not sure if all the facts. Did the wife file a police report? Or did she just tell a few associated with the football program? I saw the text message from her to Coach Smith on ESPN and found it odd, like leading and overly specific, but I’m also unsure of the context around it

This seems to be a trend here, only from Powell, OH PD:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

This is all after the 2009 incident in Florida where Smith was actually taken into custody which Meyer already mentioned knowing about. It was only after McMurphy's first report in July did they actually fire Smith. They had issued a statement before that stating something like "We will not discuss this internal peronal matter", but kept him employed.

You ask if he should fire Zach Smith for one alleged incident, maybe not. But there is a long history here leading up to that incident. For a man that tells anyone who will listen how much integrity he has, I can't understand why he didn't fire Smith sooner if he actually had some integrity like he claims. Or why he even hired him at Ohio State after what the guy did in Florida.

• Plus1 4
53 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This seems to be a trend here, only from Powell, OH PD:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

This is all after the 2009 incident at Florida which Meyer already mentioned knowing about. It was only after McMurphy's first report in July did they actually fire Smith. They had issued a statement before that stating something like "We will not discuss this internal peronal matter", but kept him employed.

You ask if he should fire Zach Smith for one alleged incident, maybe not. But there is a long history here leading up to that incident. For a man that tells anyone who will listen how much integrity he has, I can't understand why he didn't fire Smith sooner if he actually had some integrity like he claims.

Kind of playing devils advocate here, but was he obligated to tell the media about his knowledge of the 2015 assault? Let's say he's telling the truth about going through the proper protocol and I'm sure we'll hear shortly whether he did or not, shouldn't he deny anything that might breech the confidentiality of the victims.?  It looks to me, after some googling, that the ex brought some kind of stalking charges against Smith in May and that drew the attention of the reporter.  Smith pled Not Guilty to the charges, BTW and the police decided to not prosecute him in 2015 due to lack of evidence and the case was dismissed. Not that it means he wasn't guilty, but the word allegedly is a loaded and presumptuous word 

Ohio State had to can Tressel for covering a few players taking improper benefits. But apparently some think Meyer can keep his job after covering for a guy on his staff beating his wife, and then lying about knowing about it (which he just admitted to)?

I mean, step back for a second. Getting a few tattoos, versus years of domestic violence. I don't know about the rest of you, but I know which one I would consider the greater crime.

What's really f#&%ed up is that Ohio State might have only fired Sweater Vest because they knew NCAA sanctions against him were coming (at one point the university president publicly said they weren't going to fire him), but Meyer could conceivably hold onto his job simply because this matter probably won't result in any sanctions from the NCAA.

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Ohio State had to can Tressel for covering a few players taking improper benefits. But apparently some think Meyer can keep his job after covering for a guy on his staff beating his wife, and then lying about knowing about it (which he just admitted to)?

I mean, step back for a second. Getting a few tattoos, versus years of domestic violence. I don't know about the rest of you, but I know which one I would consider the greater crime.

What's really f#&%ed up is that Ohio State might have only fired Sweater Vest because they knew NCAA sanctions against him were coming (at one point the university president publicly said they weren't going to fire him), but Meyer could conceivably hold onto his job simply because this matter probably won't result in any sanctions from the NCAA.

The PSU scandal has shown that an athletic department can be aware of and cover up some fairly egregious crimes committed by someone associated with a football program and the NCAA can't do anything about it.  It sounds like the AD was aware of the 2015 incident since Zach Smith in an interview today stated that he was called off a recruiting trip to discuss it with the AD.  I don't know if it was handled correctly but I think OSU will separate themselves from someone over this.

Tattoo-gate seems silly compared to some of the scandals that have happened recently.

Brett McMurphy is a God. An absolute badass.. revealing the smoking gun every time Smith or Meyer attempt a sidestepping lie.

I know OSU is taking their time to gather a case to NOT give Urban a $30M buyout, but after all of these BS lies and backpedaling everyone’s involved including Urban has done, OSU should really just say, “To hell with your immature drama. You’re all fired now. Leave.”

• Plus1 3

@C-4 More like their administration is taking their time to gather a case to cover their own asses. I mean, if Urban really did report it to them and they didn't take action, then they're just as guilty as he is!

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

The fact that they haven't fired Meyer yet is a black eye (no pun intended) for Ohio State. If Smith did nothing wrong since he was arrested in 2009 all the way to now, why was he fired? 

Probably for the incident on May 12.