Ohio State Domestic Violence Saga

Urban Meyer's Future  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Here's my take on these accusations:

Promiscuous sexual behavior - Meh. If it's not bothering his spouse, it's not a big deal. Nor is it a big deal as long as it isn't affecting his work.

Embarrassing sexual behavior - If all parties involved are consenting, and it doesn't affect his work, who cares?

Drug abuse - terminable offense (duh)

Truancy - grounds for discipline

Dishonesty - grounds for discipline

Irresponsibility - grounds for discipline

Possible NCAA violation - terminable offense

Police investigation into allegations of criminal domestic violence - minimum, grounds for discipline, up to & including termination

Police investigation into allegations of cyber crimes - minimum, grounds for discipline, up to & including termination

The sex stuff, as long as it's consensual, is nothing. It's eye-catching in American journalism because, as a country, we have a child's view of sex; it's "naughty" and therefore intriguing. That's one of the most annoying things about this country.

All the other stuff should have resulted in discipline, and as progressive discipline goes, he should have been out the door long ago.

The crazy-pants thing about all this is, Meyer has forever stained his legacy for this Zach Smith guy. Baffling.

• Plus1 9

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's my take on these accusations:

Promiscuous sexual behavior - Meh. If it's not bothering his spouse, it's not a big deal. Nor is it a big deal as long as it isn't affecting his work.

Embarrassing sexual behavior - If all parties involved are consenting, and it doesn't affect his work, who cares?

Drug abuse - terminable offense (duh)

Truancy - grounds for discipline

Dishonesty - grounds for discipline

Irresponsibility - grounds for discipline

Possible NCAA violation - terminable offense

Police investigation into allegations of criminal domestic violence - minimum, grounds for discipline, up to & including termination

Police investigation into allegations of cyber crimes - minimum, grounds for discipline, up to & including termination

The sex stuff, as long as it's consensual, is nothing. It's eye-catching in American journalism because, as a country, we have a child's view of sex; it's "naughty" and therefore intriguing. That's one of the most annoying things about this country.

All the other stuff should have resulted in discipline, and as progressive discipline goes, he should have been out the door long ago.

The crazy-pants thing about all this is, Meyer has forever stained his legacy for this Zach Smith guy. Baffling.

Does this happening at work with an OSU staffer change your take at all?

2 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Does this happening at work with an OSU staffer change your take at all?

Not really. I suppose it depends on their internal policies and how they exercise those policies in actual practice, but as a social commentary, I don't think consensual sex is a big deal.

That's not to say I think it's a good idea to dip your nib in the company inkwell. :D

I'll be interested to take a look at OSU's report, they have indicated that they plan to make it public. I wonder if their investigation includes the same info that McMurphy had, or if there is contradictory info, or what. Within the info that has been released, there are more questions than answers, and it is a lot of stuff that would make an attorney scream "WTF."

Remember this was an internal investigation relating to OSU's policies and UM's contract. It will be interesting to see if a Title IX lawsuit is forthcoming. If it seems like there are holes in OSU's investigation or that the discipline is inappropriate, a lawsuit will not be surprising at all. But someone will have to actually file it first.

14 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I'll be interested to take a look at OSU's report, they have indicated that they plan to make it public. I wonder if their investigation includes the same info that McMurphy had, or if there is contradictory info, or what. Within the info that has been released, there are more questions than answers, and it is a lot of stuff that would make an attorney scream "WTF."

Remember this was an internal investigation relating to OSU's policies and UM's contract. It will be interesting to see if a Title IX lawsuit is forthcoming. If it seems like there are holes in OSU's investigation or that the discipline is inappropriate, a lawsuit will not be surprising at all. But someone will have to actually file it first.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2018/8/23/17757500/ohio-state-urban-meyer-report-independent-investigation-findings

They conveniently did not make this available until after the train wreck of a press conference last night.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, brophog said:

Making this about a head coach that wasn't the perpetrator is disrespectful to the victim. The story, if you didn't notice, isn't about the victim. It's not about the perpetrator. It's about Urban Meyer. 

When the head coach is enabling the person doing the abuse...yeah, it's going to be about the enabler as well.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This is one of the most blatant examples of someone pissing on our feet and trying to tell us it's raining.

Obviously you haven't swung by the Politics board lately... :D

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Not really. I suppose it depends on their internal policies and how they exercise those policies in actual practice, but as a social commentary, I don't think consensual sex is a big deal.

That's not to say I think it's a good idea to dip your nib in the company inkwell. :D

Now I'm not saying I know what happened to said staffer that slept with Smith, but if they were removed from their position and later terminated, that could be an issue. I have no problem with the sex, but if University policy dictates removal from position or termination for inappropriate sexual relationships between staff members of differing authority, then both should have been disciplined equally. It's been awhile since my days in Advanced HR Management and Collective Bargaining. Hope my memory is still intact. I heard memory loss is going around.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Didn't the tOSU players get 5 game suspension for getting free tattoos? And Urb only gets 3?

Off the top of my head I can't recall. I know The Vest lost his job over it though. 

Edit Update:

Per Wikipedia

"On December 22, 2010, the NCAA announced that five players would be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season due to receiving improper benefits."

"On March 8, 2011, OSU suspended head coach Jim Tressel for the first 2 games of the 2011 season and fined him $250,000 for not informing the university and the NCAA that he had knowledge of his players receiving improper benefits. Coach Tressel's suspension would later be increased to 5 games by the university. On May 30, 2011 Jim Tressel resigned as head coach of the Buckeyes."

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mike Mcdee said:

Now I'm not saying I know what happened to said staffer that slept with Smith, but if they were removed from their position and later terminated, that could be an issue. I have no problem with the sex, but if University policy dictates removal from position or termination for inappropriate sexual relationships between staff members of differing authority, then both should have been disciplined equally. It's been awhile since my days in Advanced HR Management and Collective Bargaining. Hope my memory is still intact. I heard memory loss is going around.

Heh. It's a real problem! :D

• Plus1 2