Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

Yet another quote fest from Media Days. But Frost makes some good points, and there's reason for some optimism here.

Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

Frost has preached some patience since the winter, preaching the need to give the staff time to flip a roster that desperately needs to be broken down and rebuilt. Confidence still reigns at Nebraska.

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin. They should’ve won two or three more games.

“But we’re nowhere near where we should be.”

• Plus1 1

I am hoping Coach Frost is the answer.  If he isn't he certainly is digging himself a very deep hole to get out of.

He is turning over the roster, to me that would indicate the talent or the effort was not here.  

It does sound like he has buy in from the team.  I am expecting to see improvement, players wanting to play and win.  Not buying any fan speak about how it could be great this coming year.  Want to see it on the field before I believe it.  I think we have heard the corner has been made many time over the last 20 years.  I bought in a few times.  I think it takes more than 9 months for a 4-8 team to become a 10-2 team or above.  I see us at 6-6 or 7-5 and will be satisified with that level of improvement.  If we are in every game, never quit and you see the coaching staff making the kids better.  Not worried about 2019, the only thing that is important is 2018 now.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We consistently rank at the top of the west in recruiting....we rarely have a talent issue unless going against tOSU. 

In reality even the teams at the top of the west have a talent issue when going against OSU.  Nobody in the west has recruited at their level in recent years.  

10 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I am hoping Coach Frost is the answer.  If he isn't he certainly is digging himself a very deep hole to get out of.

He is turning over the roster, to me that would indicate the talent or the effort was not here.  

It does sound like he has buy in from the team.  I am expecting to see improvement, players wanting to play and win.  Not buying any fan speak about how it could be great this coming year.  Want to see it on the field before I believe it.  I think we have heard the corner has been made many time over the last 20 years.  I bought in a few times.  I think it takes more than 9 months for a 4-8 team to become a 10-2 team or above.  I see us at 6-6 or 7-5 and will be satisified with that level of improvement.  If we are in every game, never quit and you see the coaching staff making the kids better.  Not worried about 2019, the only thing that is important is 2018 now.

We haven't turned over the roster.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

To tie in to what Frost is saying, Nebraska had chances in 2017. But it blew most of them.

• Nebraska led Northern Illinois 17-14 until 8:52 in the 4th quarter when NIU scored. There was plenty of time to take the lead, but a stalled drive followed by a third Tanner Lee interception ended the game.
  • Nebraska was tied with Wisconsin 17-17 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, but allowed three unanswered TDs in the game's final 20 minutes to lose 38-17.
  • Nebraska led Northwestern 24-17 but allowed a game-tying score with five minutes left in the 4th quarter, then allowed the game-winning TD in overtime, then gained -2 yards on their overtime possession.
  • Nebraska entered halftime with Iowa tied 14-14, but allowed 42 unanswered points in the 2nd half to lose 56-14.

Nebraska wasn't strong, wasn't in shape, and had poor schemes.

2017 wasn't a talent issue. It was fundamentals, poor mentality, and poor execution.  If the new coaches can fix two of those things, we'll be OK in 2018. Fix all three by 2019, and Frost is right - look out.

The bold:  I believe we will see a huge difference in 2018 in all 3 areas.  2019 will bring more talent that will make us a team to be reckoned with.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

To tie in to what Frost is saying, Nebraska had chances in 2017. But it blew most of them.

• Nebraska led Northern Illinois 17-14 until 8:52 in the 4th quarter when NIU scored. There was plenty of time to take the lead, but a stalled drive followed by a third Tanner Lee interception ended the game.
  • Nebraska was tied with Wisconsin 17-17 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, but allowed three unanswered TDs in the game's final 20 minutes to lose 38-17.
  • Nebraska led Northwestern 24-17 but allowed a game-tying score with five minutes left in the 4th quarter, then allowed the game-winning TD in overtime, then gained -2 yards on their overtime possession.
  • Nebraska entered halftime with Iowa tied 14-14, but allowed 42 unanswered points in the 2nd half to lose 56-14.

Nebraska wasn't strong, wasn't in shape, and had poor schemes.

2017 wasn't a talent issue. It was fundamentals, poor mentality, and poor execution.  If the new coaches can fix two of those things, we'll be OK in 2018. Fix all three by 2019, and Frost is right - look out.

I fully agree with you.  With that said, had we won a couple of those close games we would be stuck with a medicore Mike again this season. All things happen for a reason.

• Plus1 1

While last years team wasnt a talent thing, I dont think a new coach can fix the flaws some of those guys had. Riley recruited 4 stars but they seemed to be Diva's who didnt want to work.

We need guys who want to win. Guys who will do what the coach says and give there all. 

We have talent here, but the biggest thing with Frost moving forward is getting guys who want to be here and are willing to put the work in to be great. He had that at Central Florida.

Mike Riley is a great guy but he gave 18-22 year old's too much leash and they took advantage of it. That stops now.

I certainly dont think we will be where we want to this season.. but I feel safe in saying we wont be embarrassed. 

• Plus1 4
33 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I fully agree with you.  With that said, had we won a couple of those close games we would be stuck with a medicore Mike again this season. All things happen for a reason.

Yes, and that reason was a poor coaching staff and a meddling redhead.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We consistently rank at the top of the west in recruiting....we rarely have a talent issue unless going against tOSU. 

I disagree with that to a certain degree. I think its a fairly easy fix because we have recruited pretty well, but I don't think there is any question that Wisconsin and Iowa have consistently better talent than us. Maybe it's debatable, but I think it's pretty clear they have both been much better in the trenches than us, and also at QB, RB, CB, and LB too.... I think we're more on par with NW or Minny to be honest - and neither are going to win the West this season.

Not that our players don't have the potential to fix the issues within a year or two, but for as much as we've out-recruited the West, the West has out trained and coached us.

Maybe Frost's system can help cover-up some of the gap, and there is no question we've already stated to address the issues, but we probably aren't going to have the most talent on the field for more than 3 or 4 games this season, and "on par" talent another 3 or 4 games imo.