Gay former Husker talks about Ron Brown

Gay former Husker football player talks about Nebraska hiring Ron Brown
Eric Lueshen played and prayed with Brown. Now he has questions for his former coach.
By Eric Lueshen  Jul 19, 2018, 10:26pm PDT

<snip> 

For those who may not know, Coach Brown was the wide receivers coach my freshman year at Nebraska. This was the season in which I faced some of my most extreme challenges while trying to be accepted and included as an openly gay Huskers football player.  Did Coach Brown ever treat me with disrespect or animosity during his time as a coach while I played? No.  Do I know the conversations he or others may have had about me behind closed doors? I do not.  What I do know is that Coach Brown is a man of extreme religious convictions. While I was playing he led Nebraska’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes program, and after games Coach Brown and I would join others at center field for a prayer. I remember Coach Brown with a smile and kind demeanor. As a coach, he was confident, poised, and smart. This is what I know of Ron Brown.

LINK

The speculation about Ron Brown is running rampant.  People are attributing all sorts of views, biases and opinions to Ron Brown right now—mostly based on speculation about Brown's belief system rather than actual facts. 

Perhaps we should listen to what Eric Lueshen has to say about Ron Brown.  Lueshen has a fairly unique perspective.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, NUance said:

The speculation about Ron Brown is running rampant

I thought this had largely died down already. People like Eric Lueshen had/have legitimate concerns based on Ron Brown's words & actions. Frost made it clear that there was no place for discrimination in his coaching staff, and people accepted that and praised him for speaking out.

I've contacted Eric on the Twitter and he seems to believe this is moving in a positive direction.  I'm not sure what's "rampant" about the situation right now. Did something change today?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've contacted Eric on the Twitter and he seems to believe this is moving in a positive direction.  I'm not sure what's "rampant" about the situation right now. Did something change today?

There's a five page thread in the Football forum that just got locked.  And that's just on little ole Huskerboard.  But I guess if you want to argue about whether speculation about Ron Brown is running "rampant" or not, you are free to do so.  

My point was that Eric Lueshen has a unique perspective on Ron Brown.  Maybe we should read what he has to say.  

• Plus1 1

There's already a thread in this forum about this, so I thought maybe something else had happened to warrant this thread.

I have read Eric's concerns. They seem valid to me.  From the link above:

Macroaggressions such as the hiring of someone with a sordid past without an explanation as to why can often continue to hinder progress. However, I pray this time we can see the incredible opportunities this has presented; opportunities for growth and education.

The new Husker football staff has landed in an inclusive athletics department, so continued education on diversity and inclusion may be warranted. Everybody starts from somewhere, and we must be respectful their journey. Meeting in the messy middle and having difficult conversations is not easy, but it’s the surest way to instill growth and to find common ground.

I know there are a lot of Husker fans, especially those who identify as LGBTQ, who are feeling shocked and even hurt by this new hire. I understand, and your feelings are valid. I urge Nebraska Football, Husker Athletics, and Ron Brown to stand up and address this in whatever manner they feel necessary. If you stay silent on this topic, however, your silence will be experienced as rejection, and you will continue to lose more of your fan base.

Ron Brown, my door is always open, my phone is always on, and my email box is always ready. I know Husker Athletics has my contact information. I would be more than happy to have some deep conversations with you in order for us to both grow and learn from one another.

The great thing is, he's more than willing to talk to Brown. I think it'd be great if Brown took him up on that offer.

2 hours ago, NUance said:

There's a five page thread in the Football forum that just got locked.  And that's just on little ole Huskerboard.  But I guess if you want to argue about whether speculation about Ron Brown is running "rampant" or not, you are free to do so.  

My point was that Eric Lueshen has a unique perspective on Ron Brown.  Maybe we should read what he has to say.  

That thread already feels like a long time ago to me and both Frost and Moos addressed it pretty well.

I don't believe anyone has questioned Brown's coaching acumen--only that his personal beliefs slid into a territory where he used his professional cache for a personal crusade. The optics of this hire (especially someone that worked at Liberty University) on the surface look bad, and while it's great that we've heard from Coach Frost, AD Moos, and former players like Eric Lueshen, and *they* are all saying and doing the right things here. 

The problem that keeps this fire burning is that the public has yet to hear from the most important person in regards to this issue (that's Ron Brown for the #MAGA crowd). The longer it takes to get any sort of contrition out of Ron Brown on this subject, the more legitimate the concern that Ron Brown will speak or act in a manner that is discriminatory and this whole issue will show back up again. Ron Brown could come out, make a mea culpa, and this issue dies quicker than a snap from a time-enabled Thanos. 

Ron Brown has the power to put this issue to bed. Why he hasn't chosen to do is equal parts baffling and telling. 

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That thread already feels like a long time ago to me and both Frost and Moos addressed it pretty well.

Frost and Moos != Ron Brown. 

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I don't believe anyone has questioned Brown's coaching acumen--only that his personal beliefs slid into a territory where he used his professional cache for a personal crusade. The optics of this hire (especially someone that worked at Liberty University) on the surface look bad, and while it's great that we've heard from Coach Frost, AD Moos, and former players like Eric Lueshen, and *they* are all saying and doing the right things here. 

The problem that keeps this fire burning is that the public has yet to hear from the most important person in regards to this issue (that's Ron Brown for the #MAGA crowd). The longer it takes to get any sort of contrition out of Ron Brown on this subject, the more legitimate the concern that Ron Brown will speak or act in a manner that is discriminatory and this whole issue will show back up again. Ron Brown could come out, make a mea culpa, and this issue dies quicker than a snap from a time-enabled Thanos. 

Ron Brown has the power to put this issue to bed. Why he hasn't chosen to do if equal parts baffling and telling. 

Yes I agree he should say something. I guess at this point I feel Frost/Moos will do the right thing if he crosses the line again.

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

For Brown to address it in a way that would satisfy the LGBTQ community would require him to walk back his religious beliefs, and I don't think that's something you can reasonably require him to do.

I think the best thing you can expect from Brown on this subject is his ongoing silence. Have your thoughts about LGBTQ people and their rights, but keep them to yourself. And certainly keep UNL out of it.

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For Brown to address it in a way that would satisfy the LGBTQ community would require him to walk back his religious beliefs, and I don't think that's something you can reasonably require him to do.

I think the best thing you can expect from Brown on this subject is his ongoing silence. Have your thoughts about LGBTQ people and their rights, but keep them to yourself. And certainly keep UNL out of it.

Considering Ron's probably been tainted by Liberty, I don't think anyone is expecting him to walk back his ideas on homosexuality. 

But he can address how it was in poor judgement to go speak out against giving civil rights for a persecuted minority, while using the University's cache, using beliefs and "reasoning" that goes against the University's Code of Ethics. That's a good way to tamp this down, and coupled with what Frost/Moos already stated, would put this to bed. 

No one is expecting Ron Brown to change his beliefs, as misguided as some of them are--just a commitment to execute better judgement in how, when, and why they are expressed. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Considering Ron's probably been tainted by Liberty, I don't think anyone is expecting him to walk back his ideas on homosexuality. 

But he can address how it was in poor judgement to go speak out against giving civil rights for a persecuted minority, while using the University's cache, using beliefs and "reasoning" that goes against the University's Code of Ethics. That's a good way to tamp this down, and coupled with what Frost/Moos already stated, would put this to bed. 

No one is expecting Ron Brown to change his beliefs, as misguided as some of them are--just a commitment to execute better judgement in how, when, and why they are expressed. 

I find it unlikely he was "tainted by Liberty." He believed what he believed before ever going there.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think it would be great if he verbally expressed a live-and-let-live attitude. I don't think we can expect it, but if he does, wonderful.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I find it unlikely he was "tainted by Liberty." He believed what he believed before ever going there.

Yes, definitely. I think if anything happened, Ron Brown changed Liberty.  He's a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. :D

Outsports has some... interesting ideas for how Nebraska could/should approach relations with the LGBTQ community.

The three "super easy" things the author (not former Husker Eric Lueshen) thinks the Huskers could do:

• At the Sept. 1 home game against Akron, have a member of the team come out of the tunnel with the team carrying a giant rainbow flag. The team already carries several flags. Adding a rainbow flag would send a massive statement of inclusion.
  • Invite out gay former Nebraska Cornhuskers football player Eric Lueshen to speak to the players, and afford him the opportunity to sit down and have a private dialogue with Ron Brown. The conversation with the team should be preceded by remarks from Frost that the team is completely accepting of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
  • Put a rainbow sticker on the door of every coach on the Nebraska football team, expressing support for gay athletes and LGBTQ people on and around the team.

Um... No, Kinda yes, and No.

Re: The Flag - Nebraska supports the fight against Breast Cancer, but we don't carry a pink flag out on the field before games. This is not a good idea, and should not happen.

Re: Lueshen speaking to the team/Ron Brown -  It's as good of an idea for him to speak to the team as it was for Riley to have Brenda Tracy speak to the team. If Ron Brown wants to speak with Lueshen, fine. But Brown should not be forced to do it.

Re: Rainbow Stickers - This is a weird and terrible idea. Not even sure what to say about that.

• Plus1 1