Gay former Husker talks about Ron Brown

I’m not in the camp that Nebraska needs to do anything to show they support LGBTQ inclusion. All they did was re-hire a guy who made some personal beliefs known quite a few years ago. Nebraska as an institution has not done anything requiring any of those ridiculous ideas. I say no to all of them. If at some point they desire to make such a statement, great, but they do not need to do this because Ron Brown returned. Outsports quite obviously has an agenda....that Nebraska should ignore.

And yes, as far as I’m concerned, they can stop with any flag carrying out of the tunnel. Isn’t that a job for military or cheerleaders? It reminds me of Bo and I wouldn’t mind if it disappeared.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I'd heard the story before. Still think it's kinda weird to carry it onto a sports field.

It's kind of weird to tap a horse shoe before you walk out. Or clap your hands in rhythm with 90k other people to an old song. Or yell about how strong you can husk corn. Or be proud that you can husk corn...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I’m not in the camp that Nebraska needs to do anything to show they support LGBTQ inclusion. All they did was re-hire a guy who made some personal beliefs known quite a few years ago. Nebraska as an institution has not done anything requiring any of those ridiculous ideas. I say no to all of them. If at some point they desire to make such a statement, great, but they do not need to do this because Ron Brown returned. Outsports quite obviously has an agenda....that Nebraska should ignore.

And yes, as far as I’m concerned, they can stop with any flag carrying out of the tunnel. Isn’t that a job for military or cheerleaders? It reminds me of Bo and I wouldn’t mind if it disappeared.

Admittedly I've wondered multiple times how it felt for the players who'd never done anything close to wrong to listen to Brenda Tracy. Although if she focused on not putting yourself in that kind of situation that would've been fine.

And having this guy talk to the team might be fine but it doesn't need to be related to Ron Brown. It probably means more to just to hear Frost say everyone is welcome.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's kind of weird to tap a horse shoe before you walk out. Or clap your hands in rhythm with 90k other people to an old song. Or yell about how strong you can husk corn. Or be proud that you can husk corn...

Not in the same way. Those are all fun things to do with celebrating the sport. I see the flag as a more serious thing and I don't think a football field is really the proper place for waving it around.

When they carry the flag I have two thoughts. They're trying to outpatriot other teams even though all the teams are in America. And I think about war. I also don't get why the anthem needs to get played. It's a football game. We know we're in America.

• Plus1 3
47 minutes ago, ZRod said:

PleasantObedientKitten-max-1mb.gif

What is weird is fans rubbing Knute Rockne’s nose on his bronze statue at Norte Dame.

*Hangs head*......yes I did it.

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not in the same way. Those are all fun things to do with celebrating the sport. I see the flag as a more serious thing and I don't think a football field is really the proper place for waving it around.

When they carry the flag I have two thoughts. They're trying to outpatriot other teams even though all the teams are in America. And I think about war. I also don't get why the anthem needs to get played. It's a football game. We know we're in America.

Maybe it has something with the ages old comparison of football to war. Rightly or wrongly.

Scott Frost, putting his words into action. 

From Hail Varsity's mailbag:

On a scale of one to 10, how would you rate the recent “coaching” hires for NU? (@3rdLargestCity)

The recent hires being Ron Brown as Director of Player Development and Dave Ellis as the lead sports nutritionist. I think Ellis is a great hire. He started the department, he’ll be good for Frost. So on a number scale, I’d say a nine.

As it relates to Brown, I don’t think I can rate it yet, but I don’t land in the camp that assumes the only outcome here is it ending in flames. Frost, Tom Osborne and Bill Moos are going to be the authority figures on this. None have voiced concern over the hire and everyone appears to be on the same page, which is what you want to see in a situation like this. I don’t personally share the same viewpoints as Brown, but I’ve always operated under the belief that just because someone doesn’t agree, that doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to take it upon themselves to do something.

Frost welcomed a conversation with former Nebraska kicker Eric Lueshen in Chicago and things seemed to go well from the outside, that was telling. Frost has answered each question he’s been asked (and given clearly thoughtful responses) and as a result, the public knows where he stands. But maybe more importantly, Brown knows where he stands. No discrimination will be tolerated. If there’s an issue that arises in the future, Frost has earned the benefit of the doubt to trust he’ll handle it the correct way.

So, Frost & Lueshen have talked in person about "stuff," (I imagine Lueshen wasn't primarily concerned about the run/pass ratio :D ) and it appeared to go well. It was about a five-minute conversation, and Frost was open to talking to him. That's great, and really all I ever hoped for.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

So, Frost & Lueshen have talked in person about "stuff," (I imagine Lueshen wasn't primarily concerned about the run/pass ratio :D ) and it appeared to go well. It was about a five-minute conversation, and Frost was open to talking to him. That's great, and really all I ever hoped for.

Frost isn't the problem though--Ron (via his past actions) is.

When it's Ron Brown manning up and taking Lueshen up on his offer to talk...then we'll have meaningful action that we can call "great".

• Plus1 3
On 7/25/2018 at 11:16 AM, knapplc said:

For Brown to address it in a way that would satisfy the LGBTQ community would require him to walk back his religious beliefs, and I don't think that's something you can reasonably require him to do.

I think the best thing you can expect from Brown on this subject is his ongoing silence. Have your thoughts about LGBTQ people and their rights, but keep them to yourself. And certainly keep UNL out of it.

The part I bolded...I honestly can only speak for myself, but all I need Ron Brown to say is he will treat all players with same basic level of love, courtesy, dignity, and respect.  To me, that type of statement would go hand in hand with his christian beliefs--the "Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself" commandment. 

I'm not looking for him to apologize.  Going forward, I'm not going to hold what he said years ago against him--unless he says/does it again.

But to the point of Eric's questions and the conversation he'd like to have with Ron Brown, oh boy, would I love to eavsdrop on that conversation.

• Plus1 1
On 7/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

The part I bolded...I honestly can only speak for myself, but all I need Ron Brown to say is he will treat all players with same basic level of love, courtesy, dignity, and respect.  To me, that type of statement would go hand in hand with his christian beliefs--the "Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself" commandment. 

I'm not looking for him to apologize.  Going forward, I'm not going to hold what he said years ago against him--unless he says/does it again.

But to the point of Eric's questions and the conversation he'd like to have with Ron Brown, oh boy, would I love to eavsdrop on that conversation.

I don't think those are unreasonable requests. In fact, I think you're letting him off too light--he should, at the very least, apologize for dragging the University's name through the mud when he spoke publicly. That doesn't require him to walk back his beliefs, unless he suddenly doesn't believe in integrity and character (hint: he does).