Akron (9/1/18) - Game Line

Oh, and Akron went 6-2 in the MAC and won its first division title in 12 years. The Zips beat WMU, Buffalo, Ohio, and Kent by a combined 15 points while losing to Toledo and Miami (Ohio) by a combined 37. They saved their best performance for their biggest game, a 37-34 upset of Ohio in mid-November.

They got obliterated by Toledo (in the MAC title game) and FAU (in the Boca Raton Bowl) to finish the season, yes. The Rockets and Owls pasted them by a combined 95-31. Because of this and blowout losses to Penn State and Iowa State in non-conference play (plus a tight loss at Troy), Akron finished with a rare 7-7 record.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/3/14/17104174/akron-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, brophog said:

Akron was a poor team last year that won games. They won some close games and got blown out a lot. 

I'm hoping this line speaks more to our capability and less to how awful Akron may be.

Proabably a bit of both.  

And, i know the result we all want, but truth is, first games usually look a bit shaky.  Even if we don't hit the mark, as long as we see nothing really concerning (witness AK St last year), I personally will be satisfied with a win of any kind.

• Plus1 2

This line will come down to how good is our 1st and 2nd teams.  Step one will be for our first team to get out to a 21 point lead. Step two will be are we deep enough for our second team to extend that lead.  Two big questions and i'm drinking the Red Stuff.

15 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

And, i know the result we all want, but truth is, first games usually look a bit shaky.  Even if we don't hit the mark, as long as we see nothing really concerning (witness AK St last year), I personally will be satisfied with a win of any kind.

A line of this sort means a lot of people, even if they say otherwise prior to the game, won't be satisfied with a close win. Arkansas St came into that game a lot better than Akron does this one, and we know how that was received. We don't even need to get started on how the BYU Hail Mary was received. Or the time we gave up 590 yards passing. We've all been around a long time, we know how these things go when the bullets start flying. :)

It would be nice if we all remembered first games of a new staff, with so many new players, and almost certainly a freshman QB making his first start, will result in a lot of uneven play.