Even in the Age of Trump, there are still consequences for being a racist

I know everyone is all wrapped up in the "both sides" and "a lot of good people" stuff, but turns out there are still consequences in America for being a racist POS. To wit:

Racist words blow back on man, family and business

The confrontation between the two strangers began as a traffic dispute on the North Side.

It should have ended there, on Morse Road at Interstate 71, with the honk of a horn. That’s where Charles Lovett left it.

Jeff Whitman didn’t.

Feeling wronged, Whitman showed up at Lovett’s house. That alone was unsettling; Lovett’s house was not right around the corner from the Tuesday morning encounter. It was almost two miles away.

“I just want to let you know what a n----- you are,” Whitman says in the now viral video.

What follows is a three-minute argument in which Lovett defends himself without losing the moral high ground while Whitman keeps up with the invective. Lovett responds to the bigotry with class and a touch of wit.

“So I’m a n----- because you can’t read street signs?” he asks Whitman.

No, Whitman says, Lovett is a n----- because of his sense of entitlement.

This is a notion that rightly confounds Lovett. This, after all, is coming from a white man who drove to a stranger’s house to deliver racial slurs in a tone closer to a lecture than a rant.

“So thank you for calling me a n----- and showing me how stupid you are,” Lovett says. “Have a good day, sir. Enjoy your life.”

Lovett posted the video on social media, and within hours, the Internet came calling on Whitman. How? He had spoken his mind from behind the wheel of his company van, with the name and phone number of his business right there on the driver’s side door.

The retaliation was immediate. If Whitman felt entitled to follow, confront and demean a stranger from the seat of his marked company van, thousands of strangers felt obliged to punish him for it.

“It was an awful mistake and obviously I don’t know how to explain it, and it’s ruined my life and it’s ruined my family’s life,” Whitman says.

“I’m out of business, I’m completely out, I’m done, I’ll never work in Columbus again,” he says. “This has completely and thoroughly ruined my life.” The message ends abruptly.

On Friday, Whitman called again. He said he chose the wrong word and insists he is not a bigot. He provided a woman’s number and urged me to call her. He wouldn’t say why exactly, but I get the sense that he sees her as a character witness.

He rambled a bit and said a few other things, including one sentiment that would have many of his newfound enemies guffawing:

“I just don’t understand the intensity of the hate,” he said.

"I just don't understand the intensity of the hate" says the man who drove two miles out of his way to spew hatred at some man's doorstep.

It's just a tough and cruel world out there for the racists. Poor, poor racists.

• Plus1 8

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I know everyone is all wrapped up in the "both sides" and "a lot of good people" stuff, but turns out there are still consequences in America for being a racist POS. To wit:

"I just don't understand the intensity of the hate" says the man who drove two miles out of his way to spew hatred at some man's doorstep.

It's just a tough and cruel world out there for the racists. Poor, poor racists.

He shot a beam of hate out there and it returned to him 100 fold. You get what you give.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

He shot a beam of hate out there and it returned to him 100 fold. You get what you give.

You just said two completely different things. Do you get what you give, or do you get something 100x worse than you give?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

You just said two completely different things. Do you get what you give, or do you get something 100x worse than you give?

No I didn't. He gave hate, he is getting hate. Just because its more of the same thing doesn't make it a different thing. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

No I didn't. He gave hate, he is getting hate. Just because its more of the same thing doesn't make it a different thing. 

So if I give $1, and get $1,000,000 in return, then I have gotten what I gave, and it's the same thing because at the end of the day it's all just 'money'? I gave money, I'm getting money - something like that?

Just now, Landlord said:

So if I give $1, and get $1,000,000 in return, then I have gotten what I gave, and it's the same thing because at the end of the day it's all just 'money'? I gave money, I'm getting money - something like that?

You're being fasicious but yes. Its all the same energy the quantity doesn't matter. You send energy out you recieve back the same and similar energy. The amount is just a perception.

1 hour ago, MLB 51 said:

Yes, I am.

The man in the van has a wife and family whom he apparently loves and wants to provide for.  He supports them by working presumably long hours in a blue collar field.  He might even go to church every Sunday.  Trump says there are "fine people" that are racist.  Is this guy one of them?

Is the man in the van a "fine" person?

He has a president that has allowed him to believe he is.

Edit: I'm not saying this stuff hasn't been happening for the last 400 years, before Trump was even born.  But this is a prime example of how Trump's feeble attempt at condemning racism can lead the electorate to believe our society is okay with it, as long as it's a "good person" that's racist. Racism is real, this is just one more camera phone proving it. One of the easiest challenges Trump has been faced with over the last 18 months was calling racists bad, he screwed it up.  This is kind of an expected repercussion. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The man in the van has a wife and family whom he apparently loves and wants to provide for.  He supports them by working presumably long hours in a blue collar field.  He might even go to church every Sunday.  Trump says there are "fine people" that are racist.  Is this guy one of them?

Is the man in the van a "fine" person?

He has a president that has allowed him to believe he is.

Edit: I'm not saying this stuff hasn't been happening for the last 400 years, before Trump was even born.  But this is a prime example of how Trump's feeble attempt at condemning racism can lead the electorate to believe our society is okay with it, as long as it's a "good person" that's racist. Racism is real, this is just one more camera phone proving it. One of the easiest challenges Trump has been faced with over the last 18 months was calling racists bad, he screwed it up.  This is kind of an expected repercussion. 

Oh, like the Dems continuously electing, Robert Byrd.

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Trump, but I wish people would stop blaming him for all this racist BS.

1 minute ago, MLB 51 said:

Oh, like the Dems continuously electing, Robert Byrd.

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Trump, but I wish people would stop blaming him for all this racist BS.

Do I REALLY need to post all the links where racists have committed assaults and attacked non-whites, non-christians, immigrants, etc while invoking Trump's name????

Not to mention there is a thread here on HuskerBoard where 6 people in different states are running for elected office and they are all openly racist and members of various white power groups.

The Southern Poverty Law Center tracks hate crimes and since Trump started his campaign through now, hate crimes are up 60-70%.

I am not trying to be rude or pick a fight, but you seriously need to wake the F up.  Trump is a nazi and his bigotry emboldens others to express similar beliefs.

• Plus1 1