Even in the Age of Trump, there are still consequences for being a racist

1 minute ago, MLB 51 said:

Oh, like the Dems continuously electing, Robert Byrd.

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Trump, but I wish people would stop blaming him for all this racist BS.

Hate crimes rise for fourth year in a row, to highest point in past decade.

How white supremacists split a quiet Rust Belt town

Straight from a white supremacist:

“Personally, I don’t know about Trump,” he said. “You won’t necessarily see MAGA hats at an NSM meeting. We’re anti-Semitic. Something’s off about Trump with the Jews. That said, we’re strategically aligned. When Trump says something that aligns with us — close the borders, build the wall, look after your own — that’s good: We’ve been saying this for 25 years, but he has made it mainstream.”

“We’re still a white nation, and I respect that he supports that,” Burnside added. “He’s also highlighted social problems. The kids who go to bed hungry, people who can’t pay their bills, the damage being done to society.”

Do Trump Tweets Spur Hate Crimes?

A disturbing new paper by researchers Karsten Müller and Carlo Schwarz of the University of Warwick suggests that Donald Trump’s Islamic-related tweets may be directly linked to an increase in anti-Muslim hate crimes over the past few years. If Trump’s tweets have, in fact, played a role in spurring hate crimes, then social media may be playing an even more powerful role in people’s lives than previously thought.

Muller and Schwarz analyzed the relationship between Trump’s tweets and anti-Muslim hate crimes by drawing upon a number of data sources, including the FBI’s hate crime data between the years 1990 and 2016 as well as Twitter usage across the country. First, they documented that the number of anti-Muslim hate crimes recorded by the FBI increased during Trump’s presidency. In fact, anti-Muslim crimes have been more prevalent under Trump compared to any other previous president, including George W. Bush following 9/11. Second, the researchers found strong statistical correlations between the number of Islam-related tweets made by Trump in a single week and the number of anti-Muslim hate crimes that took place in the days and weeks that followed. Trump’s anti-Islam tweets were only correlated with anti-Muslim crimes and not other types of hate crimes. Therefore, it seems likely that it was the specific content of Trump’s tweets, and not growing anti-minority sentiment in general, that were linked to the uptick in anti-Muslim hate crimes.

Although suggestive, these connections do not prove that Trump’s social media messages caused the spike in crimes. Perhaps Trump’s tweets simply reflected an already growing anti-Muslim sentiment from the public. So Muller and Schwarz analyzed the geographic connection between Trump’s tweets and hate crimes. Since Twitter usage tends to vary by county, they looked at whether Trump’s Islam-related tweets were related to spikes in anti-Muslim crimes where more people used Twitter. They found that the spike in hate crimes did occur mainly in U.S. counties that had high Twitter usage, and this link only showed up after the start of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

You may well wish people would stop shouting racism at Trump. I wish you'd accept that he regularly targets people online, particularly minorities, and that unleashes an angry MAGA mob on them. It seems like you want to close your eyes and plug your ears and pretend that he doesn't do that.

• Plus1 3

37 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

Oh, like the Dems continuously electing, Robert Byrd.

For what it's worth, I didn't vote for Trump, but I wish people would stop blaming him for all this racist BS.

I don't think people are blaming Trump for racism.  I actually stated that in my post.  But people are blaming Trump's pathetic attempt to condemn racism for creating an environment where some people feel it is okay to be a horrible person because they are "fine" people the rest of the time.

There is one person that could disassociate Trump and racism.  That person has decided to not to take a strong position.  Se la vi. 

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't think people are blaming Trump for racism.  I actually stated that in my post.  But people are blaming Trump's pathetic attempt to condemn racism for creating an environment where some people feel it is okay to be a horrible person because they are "fine" people the rest of the time.

There is one person that could disassociate Trump and racism.  That person has decided to not to take a strong position.  Se la vi. 

See, that's not how this all seems. Several people have already responded with the "Trump is a Nazi" BS.

I just don't think he should be vilified for all the current ills in our country. That's why I asked what this had to do with Trump.

1 minute ago, MLB 51 said:

See, that's not how this all seems. Several people have already responded with the "Trump is a Nazi" BS.

I just don't think he should be vilified for all the current ills in our country. That's why I asked what this had to do with Trump.

If you choose to live your life and have discussions "in the middle", it is exactly how it seems.  But if your first impulse is to react at the extreme opposite, then I can see your frustration.  My suggestion, don't get sucked in by superlatives.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

If you choose to live your life and have discussions "in the middle", it is exactly how it seems.  But if your first impulse is to react at the extreme opposite, then I can see your frustration.  My suggestion, don't get sucked in by superlatives.

I try to stay as close to the middle as possible, but, I  just don't understand why this is all Trumps fault?

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

I try to stay as close to the middle as possible, but, I  just don't understand why this is all Trumps fault?

It's not.  And that wasn't ever the point.  

The point is that Trump has not stood up to this behavior.  That doesn't make the acts his fault, but it is his fault that there is any kind of sense of approval (same could probably be said for Byrd, although he did denounce his association with the kkk).

This doesn't even require policy, just take 2 minutes while your taking a crap and playing on Twitter...

29 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

Trump is a racist and it's arguable he's emboldened racists. I doubt there is any reliable data on it, though. Just anecdotes. That's probably what it has to do with Trump. Links between Trump and other racists are well deserved based on his previous words and actions.

But what "several people" are you talking about? Nobody mentioned Trump in this topic except for in the topic title until you mentioned Trump.

Now if you're talking about the comments section of the link that was posted, it's a comments section...

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Trump is a racist and it's arguable he's emboldened racists. I doubt there is any reliable data on it, though. Just anecdotes. That's probably what it has to do with Trump. Links between Trump and other racists are well deserved based on his previous words and actions.

But what "several people" are you talking about? Nobody mentioned Trump in this topic except for in the topic title until you mentioned Trump.

Now if you're talking about the comments section of the link that was posted, it's a comments section...

Maybe you should go back and read some of the post.

I posted links to studies and articles and examples of how racism is becoming more overt under Trump, racists are emboldened by Trump, and how Trump's policies are furthering the agendas of racists, but then I deleted the post because if you haven't seen what's going on in the past two years, it's because you don't want to see.

A few links in a message board won't fix that.

14 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

Maybe you should go back and read some of the post.

Nobody mentioned Trump before you (except in the title) unless it was deleted or my Ctrl F button is broken. You asked what it had to do with Trump before anyone ever mentioned him. That's what I'm saying. It's late though and I'm tired, so none of that probably matters and I may have misread the meaning of your post I quoted.

I do think you really have to ignore some of what Trump's said to think he should get zero blame for any uptick there might be, and it should be obvious why people think of Trump when it happens. There have been several known examples of people mistreating others in Trump's name. And it's clear that the white supremacists think he's got their backs. He could stop that nonsense any time he wants but chooses not to.

25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nobody mentioned Trump before you (except in the title) unless it was deleted or my Ctrl F button is broken. You asked what it had to do with Trump before anyone ever mentioned him. That's what I'm saying. It's late though and I'm tired, so none of that probably matters and I may have misread the meaning of your post I quoted.

I do think you really have to ignore some of what Trump's said to think he should get zero blame for any uptick there might be, and it should be obvious why people think of Trump when it happens. There have been several known examples of people mistreating others in Trump's name. And it's clear that the white supremacists think he's got their backs. He could stop that nonsense any time he wants but chooses not to.

So, blame Trump. OK.

7 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

So, blame Trump. OK.

You seem to be the one not reading the posts, since you’re confusing “not zero blame” with “all blame.” Public figures have a responsibility for their words. They are not blameless. If they give every indication they’re okay with people picking on minorities, and fail to condone the behavior, it stands to reason more people will be embolded to pick on minorities. That means it will happen more. If you can’t see this, you’re not looking.

There’s no need to point out that the people picking on the minorities are to blame for their actions because obviously they are. Incidentally, Trump is one of those people.

You should stop posting “I didn’t vote for Trump but” because it doesn’t mean anything when you go out of your way to come to the belief that he’s entirely blameless. Look into what white supremacist groups have said about him. You mentioned that someone called him a Nazi. Speaking of Nazis, do you also think Hitler’s words meant nothing? You can scoff at the question, but at least think about it.

Public leaders have responsiblity for the words they use, and they’re not blameless when those words embolden people who would have otherwise kept their racism to themselves.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You seem to be the one not reading the posts. Public figures have a responsibility for their words. They are not blameless. If they give every indication they’re okay with people picking on minorities, it stands to reason more people will be embolded to pick on minorities.

There’s no need to point out that the people picking on the minorities are to blame for their actions because obviously they are. Incidentally, Trump is one of those people.

I always wonder what news sources people are using that they don't know things that I feel should be common knowledge.  Often I presume it's Fox, or some iteration of conservative propaganda, but whenever I've asked, or suggested that people should stop watching Fox, they reply that they don't. 

It's a mystery where these ideas, or lack of knowledge, comes from. Fox is apparently the most watched "news" source by everyone else.

• Plus1 1