Mikale Wilbon

ADS

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it will be Bell and then Bradley.  Ozigbo is an interesting player.  I think a lot of people on this board like him because of he's the "big back".  I understand that to an extent, but he's not the type of running back who excels in short yardage situations.  Sam McKewon commented on his Pick 6 Podcast that Ozigbo could be better in this offense because he needs space and room to get his body going.  He does not excel in yards 0-5, but once he gets up to speed, he does pretty good in the 2nd level of the defense.  McKewon compared him to Imani Cross.  They both don't do well in traffic, and are not the guys you would want to use in short yardage territory.

Looking at Bell and Bradley, Bell seems to be the more complete, versatile back, while Bradley played in the exact same system in high school at Bellevue West.  That's why I think those 2 guys are going to be the top 2 RB's this year.

Tony Dorsett ran 6000 yards at Pitt before he got hit. He got a few yards after that.

Space and room helps a little in college ball. Just sayin

10 hours ago, brophog said:

Ozigbo had 1 carry over 20 yards last year (28). If someone doesn't consider him a "big back", then what does he bring to the table that another back isn't. I think that's some of the mental gymnastics we all do when we like a guy.

I'm not a fan of Wilbon or Ozigbo. They're replacement level backs. 

That's translated inaccurately. The offense had two more running plays than Pop Warner. Which meant 3 different ways to run towards the Center or Guard.  

He might be good, he might be average or less.

There wasn't an opportunity to display a running back's talent.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, knapplc said:

Regarding Wilbon:  "he's not expected to stick around."  Source I trust. Not sure if I can say who said that here.

Could hear something official Thursday.

That's been the scuttlebutt over on RSS for about two weeks.

Wonder if he will go play for Bo at Youngstown.

3 minutes ago, admo said:

That's translated inaccurately. The offense had two more running plays than Pop Warner. Which meant 3 different ways to run towards the Center or Guard.  

He might be good, he might be average or less.

There wasn't an opportunity to display a running back's talent.

Eh, that's a bit misleading.  There were limited opportunities.  But there were limited opportunities for everyone.

Ozigbo had one run longer than 20 yards in 129 carries.

Bryant had three in 51 carries - over seven times as often as Ozigbo

He had some chances.  He just didn't do much with them.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

In this thread:

• Arguments are made for Ozigbo by discounting Wilbon because he's not a "speed" back.
  • Comparisons are mad between Ozigbo - who literally has no moves and is probably third-sting at best on his college team - to Burkhead, who was great at jump-cutting sideways to make guys miss and plays a significant role for his NFL team
  • Tre Bryant - who had over 300 yards rushing in two games last year - is noted as "showing some flashes"
  • The guys who is easily our slowest back is said to "hit the hole as fast as anyone"

Gotta love it

Yep, that about sums it up. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, that's a bit misleading.  There were limited opportunities.  But there were limited opportunities for everyone.

Ozigbo had one run longer than 20 yards in 129 carries.

Bryant had three in 51 carries - over seven times as often as Ozigbo

He had some chances.  He just didn't do much with them.

True, he had lots of carries. But remember, Bryant is an exception to comparison of any of our backs.

I do not mind being incorrect, but Tre was a legit 1500 yard kind of guy. Unfortunate he got injured. Staying healthy he would have done it before graduating.

I don't think the offense ever needed Oz as the prime ball carrier. I do know the offense did not give backs a fair chance within the playbook 

38 minutes ago, admo said:

But remember, Bryant is an exception to comparison of any of our backs.

Yeah, he's the only one generating anything. That's kinda the point of this thread. If Wilbon and Ozigbo, specifically but not exclusively, could generate yardage like Bryant then this entire thread doesn't exist.

Wilbon and Ozigbo's stats are actually much worse than they initially look, fwiw, and they look bad enough on initial glance. A pretty significant percentage of their yards came on 2nd and 3rd down due to Langs heavy tendency to run draws on 2nd and 3rd and long. Those are easy yards for running backs. Their first down numbers are 3.5 ypc and 3.3 ypc, respectively. Tre Bryant averaged 6.47 on 36 such rushes.

There is a very simple answer as to why Riley and Langsdorf decided to overuse a player with known bad knees.....

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, brophog said:

Ozigbo had 1 carry over 20 yards last year (28). If someone doesn't consider him a "big back", then what does he bring to the table that another back isn't. I think that's some of the mental gymnastics we all do when we like a guy.

I'm not a fan of Wilbon or Ozigbo. They're replacement level backs. 

I’ve always thought of him as a Curtis Martin type. In 2004, Martin had 1,697 yards but his longest carry was 25 yards.

Martin is my favorite running back though, so let’s not take it as I’m saying he’s as good as Curtis Martin. Nowhere close. Obviously.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, brophog said:

Yeah, he's the only one generating anything. That's kinda the point of this thread. If Wilbon and Ozigbo, specifically but not exclusively, could generate yardage like Bryant then this entire thread doesn't exist.

Wilbon and Ozigbo's stats are actually much worse than they initially look, fwiw, and they look bad enough on initial glance. A pretty significant percentage of their yards came on 2nd and 3rd down due to Langs heavy tendency to run draws on 2nd and 3rd and long. Those are easy yards for running backs. Their first down numbers are 3.5 ypc and 3.3 ypc, respectively. Tre Bryant averaged 6.47 on 36 such rushes.

There is a very simple answer as to why Riley and Langsdorf decided to overuse a player with known bad knees.....

Ok well put.