Write stupid laws, get stupid results - Fremont, NE edition

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

How is asking immigration status on a rental application different than asking one's race?

Depends who's asking, and what they're using the answer for.

I don't get the impression the mayor who called Kobach into Missouri is thinking the way Mr. Rodgers would want him to think, especially when he refers to Hispanics as "Cousin Puerto Rico" and "Taco Whoever."

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Which leads to abuses by both sides of the situation.

I've seen things saying undocumented workers cost the US billions. I've seen where they're a net positive to the US.  I presume the truth lies somewhere out there, but it's likely full of estimates because of the lack of documentation.  It's the nature of who these people are.

What galls me - and why I created the thread & made the thread title the way it is - is that xenophobes & people with nefarious intent can and do latch on to these things and abuse them. To me, that's as bad of a problem as the undocumented workers themselves. 

Plus I have a general disgust for Fremont, having grown up there.

+1.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Except for the part about hating Fremont.   I got no bone to pick with Fremont.  Well, except for that time when Bergan knocked my team out of the high school fb playoffs.    

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Depends who's asking, and what they're using the answer for.

I don't get the impression the mayor who called Kobach into Missouri is thinking the way Mr. Rodgers would want him to think, especially when he refers to Hispanics as "Cousin Puerto Rico" and "Taco Whoever."

Who? this evil evil man that corrupts children?

On 8/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, knapplc said:

Demographic breakdown of Fremont, Norfolk, Kearney and Grand Island:

• The population of Fremont, NE is 82.2% White, 14.7% Hispanic, and 1.32% Two+. 13.7% of the people in Fremont, NE speak a non-English language, and 93.7% are U.S. citizens.
  • The population of Grand Island, NE is 64.8% White, 29.6% Hispanic, and 2.46% Black. 24.9% of the people in Grand Island, NE speak a non-English language, and 88.1% are U.S. citizens.
  • The population of Kearney, NE is 87.3% White, 7.84% Hispanic, and 1.86% Asian. 7.15% of the people in Kearney, NE speak a non-English language, and 97% are U.S. citizens.
  • The population of Norfolk, NE is 80.4% White, 13.5% Hispanic, and 1.71% Native. 12.1% of the people in Norfolk, NE speak a non-English language, and 95.4% are U.S. citizens.

Doesn't seem to be a correlation between larger Hispanic populations in those meat-packing towns and lower services.

What about South Sioux City?