Husker Power getting a makeover?

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah, for comparison, this is what Northwestern players are practicing in now:

Steinkamp2-(002).jpg

IMG_0575-small-900x600.jpg

RyanFieldhouse_2018_northwestern_1.jpg?i

Northwestern. That.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, we need to build a lake next to the Hawks center. :lol:

I'm game!

• Plus1 2

One of the biggest frustrations in college sports.  All this money spent on crap that, for the most part, isn't going to make a player better than what they could have been in the old facilities.  Spend millions of dollars for no other reason than to impress 18 year old kids.

If these kids go into the weight room we currently have with the right mind set and right coaching, a new weight room wouldn't make them any better.

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Think about how astronomically expensive lakefront real estate must be in the northern Chicago suburbs. And they build a practice field for a historically mediocre program. It's beautiful, but is it a good ROI?

Well it was a parking lot before they built this so I think they'll be okay.  

• Plus1 1

Seems like a project that wouldnt happen till after the season at the earliest.

The Northwestern field looks amazing in terms of those big windows but the inside of it looks a bit on the small side. 

The Gophers just built a new practice area and they built up. If we wanted to add to the space, that might be an option. I think the space is big enough, just might need a facelift inside?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

If these kids go into the weight room we currently have with the right mind set and right coaching, a new weight room wouldn't make them any better.

If a weight room was too pristine and too prettied up, I wouldn’t want to sweat in it. Worn equipment is a good reminder of the work put in by former players to get the program where it is. Now that I say that, maybe new equipment that looks unused is appropriate.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

One of the biggest frustrations in college sports.  All this money spent on crap that, for the most part, isn't going to make a player better than what they could have been in the old facilities.  Spend millions of dollars for no other reason than to impress 18 year old kids.

8 of the top 10 largest stadiums in the world are college football stadiums. Crazy that amateur facilities are to that point when one considers the money involved in some of the worlds professional sports and outdoor entertainment ventures.

Iirc one of the main reasons for the renovation is to get the weight room back to the way it was... not so much update it.  Think I remember reading that equipment that Nebraska had helped develope is now gone. I think it's weird that there are machines that lots of Johnnys and Joes have used in gyms across the country that relate very well to football are no longer being used in the very place they were conceived.  Maybe they are just trying to get back to their roots.