Xfinity(Comcast) dropping Big Ten Network in Some Markets

I would like to get rid of Comcast, but my only alternative for internet is AT&T. I despise Comcast, but the cable internet bundle is only 10$ more per month than internet only. I have been searching for two years, but other than a satellite service or AT&T, I can't get internet. For those of you that stream, who is your internet provider?

23 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

The wife and I were just talking about cutting the cord. Problem is we would still need Comcast for internet because Century link is spotty in MN.

Happy we still get BTN but we are very close to switching.

We are thinking about going with Hulu Plus... 

I still need Comcast for home internet, but I'm paying less and can hopefully switch to another internet provider at a future date. Also, I can watch TV on my phone, tablet, or computer from anywhere with an internet connection.

RedDenver makes a great point - for anybody that travels you can use the service anywhere in the united states just like you are sitting on your couch at home.  Once you start downloading the apps the show listings are endless.  as much as i hate ESPN network - with their app you can watch 10x as much as whats on the regular (4) espn channels.

I went through last football season with only PS Vue. I don't remember all the differences but I tried Hulu live, Youtube TV and Directv Now and concluded PS vue was the best bang for the buck.

Deal breakers with other services:

Channel Packages

Lack of DVR

Crap interface

Worst part of PS Vue:

Can only watch from home, to watch anything outside of your home network you have to use that channels service and log in with your PS Vue password, so you need a million apps to leave the house. (WatchESPN, BTN2GO, etc, etc,) I travel a lot so this is a pain.

Edit: The CEO of Vue resigned in November, and the new guy changed this policy.

PS Vue usually has a free 15 day trial, so if you want it for just the spring game it would be free...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Sparker said:

I went through last football season with only PS Vue. I don't remember all the differences but I tried Hulu live, Youtube TV and Directv Now and concluded PS vue was the best bang for the buck.

Deal breakers with other services:

Channel Packages

Lack of DVR

Crap interface

Worst part of PS Vue:

Can only watch from home, to watch anything outside of your home network you have to use that channels service and log in with your PS Vue password, so you need a million apps to leave the house. (WatchESPN, BTN2GO, etc, etc,) I travel a lot so this is a pain.

PS Vue usually has a free 15 day trial, so if you want it for just the spring game it would be free...

What? I've watched just about everything on my laptop on the road at a hotel that I can get on my Roku at home. I haven't logged into any of those other apps.

So far I have been streaming much of the day Youtube TV.  For things such as cartoons, etc it works good.  I did notice that sporting events there was times it would become blurry. The only time I had any actual buffering was a handful of short one second spurts during Ole Miss spring game on tv.  Now keep in mind this was at 6mbps wireless service.  I think most recommend 12 or higher.  I feel that if I were to up my internet (which I will do if going full time streaming) to 12 or higher it would probably get rid of the issues I was seeing.  Upping the internet to 12 and paying for streaming would still save me $45 during the season and almost $75 per month in the off season.

Just an FYI for anyone who had BTN through Comcast/Xfinity and now cannot get that TV channel with their Comcast service (this applies to me...)

I downloaded the BTN2GO app and to view BTN live tv had to sign in with my cable provider to access it. It worked even though I can no longer watch it on cable. So if you’re trying to find a way to watch the spring game and haven’t yet done psvue or diretctvnow or whatever other option, the BTN2GO app was easy, didn’t cost a thing, and may get ya by until you find a more permanent solution.

Edit-  #@$&&*......it worked yesterday but not today when I needed it to. F&$king Comcast.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What? I've watched just about everything on my laptop on the road at a hotel that I can get on my Roku at home. I haven't logged into any of those other apps.

Oh, well interesting. A quick google search shows it changed 4-5 months ago. I took a  traveling job in October of last year and it didn't work.

Just now, Sparker said:

Oh, well interesting. A quick google search shows it changed 4-5 months ago. I took a  traveling job in October of last year and it didn't work.

Hopefully it works for you. But I just noticed that although I cancelled the sports package and just have the $40 Access package, I'm still getting BTN and all the sports channels, so also a possibility that my account is messed up. (Not that I'm complaining.)

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Hopefully it works for you. But I just noticed that although I cancelled the sports package and just have the $40 Access package, I'm still getting BTN and all the sports channels, so also a possibility that my account is messed up. (Not that I'm complaining.)

The former CEO of Vue resigned, the new guy is getting rid of all the bad policies, so imo at this point this is the best service hands down. I haven't looked at the others for over 6 months so they likely changed as well.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...

I looked back several pages but this appears to not have been reported.  So might check this out before games start or be left in the cold.

I received an email from Big Ten Network two days ago stating that in many markets Xfinity was dropping the network.  I called Xfinity and confirmed that in the Portland, OR market, Xfinity is dropping their contract.  Shame on Xfinity........

This turned out great for me.  I kept Xfinity internet and phone, but dropped their TV package.  I'm getting my TV via internet streaming and saved a whole bunch of cash.  Maybe Xfinity and the BIG will resolve their problems before games start, but in any event, I found myself much better off. 

GBR!

• Plus1 1