Are you surprised at where we are at?

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I would not be surprised to see a 10 win season. I'm not predicting it, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised either.

I'd be pretty surprised. If that happened, it would probably be the best first year by a new staff at a P5 school in the last several decades.

As far as I can tell there have only been six times in the last 20 years that a new head coach has come in to a school and had double digit wins in the first season, and each of those were teams with either elite talent and/or top 15 finishes the year before.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'd be pretty surprised. If that happened, it would probably be the best first year by a new staff at a P5 school in the last several decades.

As far as I can tell there have only been six times that a new head coach has come in to a school and had double digit wins in the first season, and each of those were teams with either elite talent and/or top 15 finishes the year before.

But all those other schools in the last several decades did not have Scott Frost as their coach. :) "Mic Drop" 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Just to be clear---

You're saying our QB needs to have Heisman like qualities in order to win 9 games?

Ok that is a bit over the top - lets just say he performs better than our last 2 QBs.    In one of my posts (another thread) I point out how we can get to 9 wins. I'm kind of sold on 8 wins.

I read about expectations. I hear talk about how many wins we will have. And I shake my head.

What? How do we know ANYTHING about this team?

All I know is that, because of Frost, I have hope for the program for the future.

This year?

All new coaches come in to correct a failed culture and a system of losing established over not just three years, but all the way back into the Pelini administration where guys were flat giving up, see Wisky Big title game 2012, and Wisky in 2014 at their place.

We are not sure about the players we have. And we added a bunch of new guys. Where do they fit in? And what about all the bad habits we have to break? We are not sure that all the players we have will demonstrate full commitment.

Oh, yea, and then there is the new schemes and we don't have a returning quarterback and of the QBs we do have none have taken a meaningful snap.

People say we have six games where we are going to be way better than the foe. Colorado missed a bowl game last year by one win. Troy beat LSU. Minnesota handed us our lunch.

Then there is the other six, all on the road save for Michigan State. Those look VERY imposing to me.

But then again, I just don't know ANYTHING about this team. We will know as it unfolds. I can't have expectations because I have nothing to base them off of at this point.

I am just trusting Frost. What comes this season, whatever that is IMHO, will be the record that I am satisfied with.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm pretty sure any players that give up going forward will end up riding the pine. Something tells me this staff isn't going to put up with anyone giving up or not giving 100%.

I dunno.  The turnover number is something like 51 new players on the team now.  Players that give up might end up riding some other team's pine.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

I read about expectations. I hear talk about how many wins we will have. And I shake my head.

What? How do we know ANYTHING about this team?

All I know is that, because of Frost, I have hope for the program for the future.

This year?

All new coaches come in to correct a failed culture and a system of losing established over not just three years, but all the way back into the Pelini administration where guys were flat giving up, see Wisky Big title game 2012, and Wisky in 2014 at their place.

We are not sure about the players we have. And we added a bunch of new guys. Where do they fit in? And what about all the bad habits we have to break? We are not sure that all the players we have will demonstrate full commitment.

Oh, yea, and then there is the new schemes and we don't have a returning quarterback and of the QBs we do have none have taken a meaningful snap.

People say we have six games where we are going to be way better than the foe. Colorado missed a bowl game last year by one win. Troy beat LSU. Minnesota handed us our lunch.

Then there is the other six, all on the road save for Michigan State. Those look VERY imposing to me.

But then again, I just don't know ANYTHING about this team. We will know as it unfolds. I can't have expectations because I have nothing to base them off of at this point.

I am just trusting Frost. What comes this season, whatever that is IMHO, will be the record that I am satisfied with.

yup. i agree with you fully.........the fan base is excited, with wild predicts on how we will perform........at the end of the season i will stand with you and be satisfied even at 6-6........everyone acts like we have found some great secret and we will suddenly be wildly successful.......we will be BETTER......and BETTER next season.........that is a realistic expectation, which we should all understand.....as a lot of other teams we will play will be better too!

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Are these supposed to be negatives?

Compared to our quarterback play and schemes of last year, no.

Compared to next year, or to a different hypothetical reality, yes, of course.

He wasn't saying those are "bad", he was saying those are barriers to success that will impact this season. 

• Plus1 1