Are you surprised at where we are at?

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Honestly, not really.

In the last 25 years, the only P5 coaches I could find that won double digit games in their first seasons are Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Les Miles, Bret Bielema, Chip Kelly, and Mark Helfricht. 

Every single one of those took over a team that was either a Top 15 ranked team the year before, and/or had Top 15 talent. 

Edit: Forgot Kevin Sumlin, the guy that benefitted from maybe the best college quarterback ever and then flamed out :lol:

I can't think of the guys name but I believe he won 11 his first year at Michigan,big guy who didn't wear a head set.

45 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Bo won 9 in his first year, and I am convinced that Scott Frost is a better coach than Bo however that schedule.  Yeesh.  I would not be surprised by 9 wins.  I'm thinking 8-4 with a chance at 9-3 and possibly 7-5.  I'd be okay with any of those, but would obviously be the most excited about the 9.  8-4 and a bowl win would also be awesome!

In 2008 we played teams that finished #15, #19, #12 and #5 - the last two on the road.  Right now we are scheduled to play @ #3, @ #7, #12 and @ #14.  We'll see how this years opponents shake out but it's pretty comparable.

• Plus1 3

I don't share the same fear of this schedule as everyone else.  Especially the games everyone is penciling in as L's.  Ohio state is about to be without their head coach, Penn State lost their best offensive weapon, Michigan is still Michigan and can lose to anybody.  Yes Minny took us to the woodshed last year but our coaches were out coached and there was lack of effort on the field.  Wisconsin has our number but by no means is unbeatable.  If the defense improves by 10% that could equate to more wins.  I'm pretty sure you will see the offense improve quite a bit which in turn will take some of the pressure off the defense

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't share the same fear of this schedule as everyone else.  Especially the games everyone is penciling in as L's.  Ohio state is about to be without their head coach, Penn State lost their best offensive weapon, Michigan is still Michigan and can lose to anybody.  Yes Minny took us to the woodshed last year but our coaches were out coached and there was lack of effort on the field.  Wisconsin has our number but by no means is unbeatable.  If the defense improves by 10% that could equate to more wins.  I'm pretty sure you will see the offense improve quite a bit which in turn will take some of the pressure off the defense

I agree, Penn State will be the least likely game we lose this year. 

• Plus1 3

To the OP.  I am more amazed than surprised at where we're at.  The pace at which this is all transforming is mind boggling to me.  Almost like Frost has Miracle Grow for FB programs.  The amount of infrastructure that has been put in place since December is incredible.  Much of this would be not be possible if any part of the organization wasn't aligned with Frost's vision.  Think of all the people that have to be on the same page.  Tain't easy that.

All the ingredients are there for success, and the last piece is really a matter of players executing the vision the admins and coaches have.  Sounds like they're well on their way of doing just that.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

True but pelini has the luxury of SUH 

How do you know we don't have a Suh on this squad? It's not like anyone was expecting Suh to emerge as an absolute monster at this point in 2008!

4 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

I can't think of the guys name but I believe he won 11 his first year at Michigan,big guy who didn't wear a head set.

Yep, I missed Hoke. Honestly, he's an extreme outlier. Still insane that he was able to accomplish that somehow.

3 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Bo won 9 in his first year, and I am convinced that Scott Frost is a better coach than Bo however that schedule.  Yeesh.  I would not be surprised by 9 wins.  I'm thinking 8-4 with a chance at 9-3 and possibly 7-5.  I'd be okay with any of those, but would obviously be the most excited about the 9.  8-4 and a bowl win would also be awesome!

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

In 2008 we played teams that finished #15, #19, #12 and #5 - the last two on the road.  Right now we are scheduled to play @ #3, @ #7, #12 and @ #14.  We'll see how this years opponents shake out but it's pretty comparable.

Yep. Schedules are comparable - the pieces we have to work with, however, aren't imo. Mav would probably be able to find numbers to either back up or refute this, but Bo inherited a team loaded with elite NFL caliber talent, and he had a savvy veteran quarterback (and retained the offensive coordinator and system that that quarterback played in).

Anyways, in 2008 we more or less won the games we should have and lost the games we should have. We got trounced twice by Missouri and Oklahoma, and played really well against Texas Tech and Virginia Tech but came up short. If the same sort of thing happens, where we play to our realistic capabilities, we should win 7 regular season games for sure, with a good chance at 8, and a bowl game to bump that up.

• Plus1 1

Hmm... 2008 vs 2018...

I feel like the players gave up on Riley to a greater extent than they did Callahan. Last year, everybody pretty much figured it was a lame duck season as soon as Eichorst was fired, and a lot of the players pretty much phoned it in from there on out. 2007 was a little different, though. 2017 sucked all around, but 2007 at least had a pretty good offense. In Callahan's second to last game, they hung 73 on K-State - the team, or at least the offense, still had some fight in them.

It's probably safe to say that Riley and Callahan were both fairly poor at developing players. Callahan was probably only marginally better as a recruiter than Riley. Yes, his 2005 class was highly ranked, but that was mainly because it was such a big class - the average rating of the players was really nothing special. I think we've got a perfectly good group in terms of raw potential, but the big question is how quickly they can be developed. I'll take Duval over Dobson in a heartbeat, though!

Everybody mentions Suh, but I think people tend to forget that the 2008 defense was still pretty weak overall - the offense was playing ball-hog to keep them off the field. I said above, for all we know we might actually have an undiscovered Suh on this team. But I think the best news I've heard in the last few days is that Chinander said he's been pleasantly surprised by the defense's retention of things - like he's not having to start at ground-zero fundamentals, which I think Bo had to do a lot of.

I'm not sure how much of the 2007 offense was Callahan's vs Watson's, but it's probably safe to say that keeping Watson helped smooth the transition. On the other hand, I think Frost is probably a better schemer with a better system than Watson's. Honestly, I think Ganz is a little overrated in some people's memories. He was good, but not amazing. This year we're not returning any QBs with game experience, but does anybody really think we'd be better off if Lee & O'Brien were still on the team? Hell, I a year or so ago a few people were thinking Gebbia might have been ready to take the starter job from Lee by 2018, and if Riley & co were still here we'd probably be saying the same thing. One of the brightest spots on the 2008 squad was Roy Helu. 2018... uhh... let me get back to you on that. Riley's ground game was absolutely pathetic, but I really don't think the RBs were to blame for that. I have no idea who the starter will be, but I feel like we've got enough decent options that somebody should be able to emerge as a solid RB.

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Honestly, I think Ganz is a little overrated in some people's memories. He was good, but not amazing. 

If he wasn't amazing he was as close as humanly possible to it. I think halfway through his senior season he had the third best QBR amongst active quarterbacks, trailing Bradford and Tebow. He was better than our conference offensive player of the year at QB before him, and if he would have come along a few years earlier or later he would have been looked at as a real potential All-American/major award winner. He had a better senior season numbers wise than Colt McCoy did.

9 hours ago, Toe said:

How do you know we don't have a Suh on this squad? It's not like anyone was expecting Suh to emerge as an absolute monster at this point in 2008!

Your right its possible. But I think a guy like Suh comes around once every 10 years or so and the chance lightning strikes twice at Nebraska is unlikely. Regardless- I think this staff and Scott Frost are pretty much superior in every way to Pelini and his staff. So I dont think they need 1 all world player to help- they will get more out of everyone.