BTN Bus Tour

Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

I just found myself a crisp $100 lying on the sidewalk, and walking down the street, all smiles.  Now, I'm waiting for the mugger that is just around the corner.  It's ok for me to still think this way, i just don't want the TEAM still thinking this way.

The mugger only exists because you think it does. Limitations are mental.

Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

100%. And that's the hardest part to change.

Without a doubt. That is why I love this staff. They take the mental part of the game very seriously and attack that part of things with an intense consistency. Consistency is everything when trying to make a change of this nature.

9 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

We only had up to 150, now we are ordering up to 200.... what was Mike even doing here? 

One off season with Duval and they had to order heavier weight.  I mean, we have 175 lb dumbbells in the weight room at the high school I coach at.  They are rarely used, but they are there.  Holy s#!t, these guys weren't lifting.  Not really, anyway.

9 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

One off season with Duval and they had to order heavier weight.  I mean, we have 175 lb dumbbells in the weight room at the high school I coach at.  They are rarely used, but they are there.  Holy s#!t, these guys weren't lifting.  Not really, anyway.

I find it unlikely that they got rid of heavier dumbbells when Riley came here. Maybe that happened with Callahan. Eppley says they got rid of a bunch of his stuff back then. Although I'm guessing they just replaced the old dumbbells with new fancy ones and didn't bother to get the heaviest size.

Serious question - what lifts do people do with 175+ dumbbells? I can imagine shrugs and farmers walks, although I'm sure that's a small shrug for a football player. I'm nervous about the idea of someone failing on a 400lb dumbbell chest press or shoulder press, heh.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I find it unlikely that they got rid of heavier dumbbells when Riley came here. Maybe that happened with Callahan. Eppley says they got rid of a bunch of his stuff back then. Although I'm guessing they just replaced the old dumbbells with new fancy ones and didn't bother to get the heaviest size.

Serious question - what lifts do people do with 175+ dumbbells? I can imagine shrugs and farmers walks, although I'm sure that's a small shrug for a football player. I'm nervous about the idea of someone failing on a 200lb dumbbell chest press or shoulder press, heh.

Standing Rows, Bench press, shoulder press, two handed tricep press, etc.

They have spotters and are watched carefully while they lift.

edit: to the bolded...I agree and think that is what probably happened, but the fact they didn't think they needed the heavier weights is amazing.

Found it interesting that Dinardo tweeted a bunch of still pictures from their stop at Minnesota (prior to coming to Lincoln).  No commentary, no video, etc.  Whereas our practice had almost nothing but tweets with commentary, photos and video.  Wisconsin some, but no where near like it was for us.  The guys must have really done well to garner so many NU related tweets in comparison to the other two West schools they visited previously.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Found it interesting that Dinardo tweeted a bunch of still pictures from their stop at Minnesota (prior to coming to Lincoln).  No commentary, no video, etc.  Whereas our practice had almost nothing but tweets with commentary, photos and video.  Wisconsin some, but no where near like it was for us.  The guys must have really done well to garner so many NU related tweets in comparison to the other two West schools they visited previously.

Well, we're the only "major" program with a new staff and big bane coach this season.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Serious question - what lifts do people do with 175+ dumbbells? I can imagine shrugs and farmers walks, although I'm sure that's a small shrug for a football player. I'm nervous about the idea of someone failing on a 400lb dumbbell chest press or shoulder press, heh.

Doubtful we have a dude who can do a 200 lb shoulder press with dumbells. Also how is this any different for injury concerns than a barbell press/bench or squat? 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Decked said:

Doubtful we have a dude who can do a 200 lb shoulder press with dumbells. Also how is this any different for injury concerns than a barbell press/bench or squat? 

You can mess yoursellf up way easier with heavy dumbells than a barbell.  But regardless they're going to have spotters at those weights.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Serious question - what lifts do people do with 175+ dumbbells? I can imagine shrugs and farmers walks, although I'm sure that's a small shrug for a football player. 

Although it's not a movement that would be seen much in a football weight room, one-armed bent rows where one knee is rested on a bench. That's an assistance movement powerlifters would do fairly commonly with heavy dumbbells. 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Although it's not a movement that would be seen much in a football weight room, one-armed bent rows where one knee is rested on a bench. That's an assistance movement powerlifters would do fairly commonly with heavy dumbbells. 

That's one I do (although I haven't lifted in awhile), but when 35-40lb is the most you've ever done it's hard to imagine doing it with a 200lb db. Anyhow, that one would be really safe 'cause you could just drop it.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

What ZRod said. I'd be worried about a shoulder injury with a dumbbell more than with a bar on the chest/bench press. But I figure they probably have 2 guys with their hands under the dumbbells when they're doing that much weight. And before someone replies thinking I'm actually concerned, I'm not. It's just that I lift on my own so the idea of it makes me nervous.

God, that part about the dumbbells makes me want to go hug a couple guys in the program for getting this stuff back on track.

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I find it unlikely that they got rid of heavier dumbbells when Riley came here. Maybe that happened with Callahan. Eppley says they got rid of a bunch of his stuff back then.

Callahan and/or Pelini. Dobson didn't exactly impress as S&C coach, either.

9 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Wisconsin is rated #7 in the country right now. I say that’s pretty impressive if we go from 4-8 to impressing enough that they think we can go toe to toe with #7 

I mean in a sense, even Riley was already doing that - tied in the 4th last year, lost in OT the year before, and lost by 2 before that. Some people act like we don't have a chance against Wisky this year, and I really have no idea what makes them think that!

• Plus1 2