BTN Bus Tour

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

God, that part about the dumbbells makes me want to go hug a couple guys in the program for getting this stuff back on track.

Callahan and/or Pelini. Dobson didn't exactly impress as S&C coach, either.

I mean in a sense, even Riley was already doing that - tied in the 4th last year, lost in OT the year before, and lost by 2 before that. Some people act like we don't have a chance against Wisky this year, and I really have no idea what makes them think that!

We did not have strength and conditioning issues under Pelini what so ever. 

@KingBlank

what-the-gif-7.gif

It might not have been nearly as awful as under Riley, but Dobson's program was... not great. If I had to guess, those dumbbells were probably the same then as they were under Riley - after all, the last major upgrade of the weight room was under Bo, just after Suh left.

(also, whatsoever is one word)

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

@KingBlank

what-the-gif-7.gif

It might not have been nearly as awful as under Riley, but Dobson's program was... not great. If I had to guess, those dumbbells were probably the same then as they were under Riley - after all, the last major upgrade of the weight room was under Bo, just after Suh left.

(also, whatsoever is one word)

First I type from my phone it doesn't know every word from swipe so it's easier to just type it out.  What are the examples of how it wasn't great? Putting OLine in the NFL, wearing down other teams, leading the conference in rushing?  Strength and conditioning would have 57 on a list of things Bo needed to improve.  Bos team were actually really tough going into later parts of games. 

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

That's one I do (although I haven't lifted in awhile), but when 35-40lb is the most you've ever done it's hard to imagine doing it with a 200lb db. Anyhow, that one would be really safe 'cause you could just drop it.

What ZRod said. I'd be worried about a shoulder injury with a dumbbell more than with a bar on the chest/bench press. But I figure they probably have 2 guys with their hands under the dumbbells when they're doing that much weight. And before someone replies thinking I'm actually concerned, I'm not. It's just that I lift on my own so the idea of it makes me nervous.

Just to pile on, I almost blew out my shoulder with a 70lbs DB doing overhead shoulder press without a spot. My left arm rotated backwards and torqued my shoulder all sorts of wrong. I was able to catch it and get the weight back down, but it didn't feel great and scared the poop out of me. I was gun shy for a long time after that.  That's really the only lift that scares me with heavy weight. DB bench press is probably safer than with BB, you can dump the weights right away and it doesn't stress the shoulders as much either.

I'm just glad we had to get heavier weights! :power

31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just to pile on, I almost blew out my shoulder with a 70lbs DB doing overhead shoulder press without a spot. My left arm rotated backwards and torqued my shoulder all sorts of wrong. I was able to catch it and get the weight back down, but it didn't feel great and scared the poop out of me. I was gun shy for a long time after that.  That's really the only lift that scares me with heavy weight. DB bench press is probably safer than with BB, you can dump the weights right away and it doesn't stress the shoulders as much either.

I'm just glad we had to get heavier weights! :power

If you watch these series of videos you probably wouldn’t use dumbbells for chest/bench press simply because you can’t do the same techniques which I believe make the exercise much safer in terms of injury.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I thought it was pretty clear the strength guys struggled mightily in adapting to the move to Big Ten football in general.

I would tend to lean more towards lacking quality depth across the board under Pelini than the S&C program.  That goes back to recruiting, and the constant exodus of players we needed for depth during his time here.  

1 minute ago, Crazyhole said:

I would tend to lean more towards lacking quality depth across the board under Pelini than the S&C program.  That goes back to recruiting, and the constant exodus of players we needed for depth during his time here.  

My own opinion is that we struggled to adapt our defense from the four-wide, pass-happy Big XII to the much more power-running B1G.

Although I don't think it's really fair to say we struggled against the league as a whole.  For the most part we did pretty well.  Except Wisconsin knew how to really take advantage of what we were doing so those games were ugly and make the overall feeling worse than it probably was.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

My own opinion is that we struggled to adapt our defense from the four-wide, pass-happy Big XII to the much more power-running B1G.

Although I don't think it's really fair to say we struggled against the league as a whole.  For the most part we did pretty well.  Except Wisconsin knew how to really take advantage of what we were doing so those games were ugly and make the overall feeling worse than it probably was.

We know Pelini was a great defensive mind. He was a great defensive coordinator. Is it possible we were great the first few years because we had better talent and pelini was more involved in the defense planning and coaching? Then once he felt like it was turned around he moved to more of a head coach role and the guys under him did the coaching and teaching. Then a talent fall off and coaching fall off led to our D sucking?

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

We know Pelini was a great defensive mind. He was a great defensive coordinator. Is it possible we were great the first few years because we had better talent and pelini was more involved in the defense planning and coaching? Then once he felt like it was turned around he moved to more of a head coach role and the guys under him did the coaching and teaching. Then a talent fall off and coaching fall off led to our D sucking?

I think Pelini’s biggest weakness is he hired all yes men and didn’t hire good coaches who could coach very well on their own without his micro management.

It seems like every time we heard he took an active role in a part of the team, that part of the team ended up playing great that season, so I think he is a good coach. Just not a great head coach.

• Plus1 2