BTN Bus Tour

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I haven't read every post in this thread and I'm going to be surprised if it hasn't been mentioned.  But, the absolute best part of their comments was that the team is this late into camp and they look like they all have fresh legs.

Thank you.... thank you..... thank you!!!!!!

Yes, and no matter who comes in here to watch stuff. Former players, former coaches, big 10 media, local media, national guys. They are all saying the same things. Which has me encouraged its not just hype pumping. They say a good culture is when everyone is saying the same thing. Heck Frost even has all the media agreeing. haha

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

We know Pelini was a great defensive mind. He was a great defensive coordinator. Is it possible we were great the first few years because we had better talent and pelini was more involved in the defense planning and coaching? Then once he felt like it was turned around he moved to more of a head coach role and the guys under him did the coaching and teaching. Then a talent fall off and coaching fall off led to our D sucking?

See, i think this is the thing.  I think this narrative has been overblown because of one opponent.  Granted, the games against Wisconsin were historically bad.  And that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.  But overall, we really were pretty solid.  Nowhere near the dominance of 2009/2010.  But also nothing resembling the Banker/Diaco debacles that we've seen recently.

From 2011 to 2014 - Pelini's B1G years - we were #37, #35, #39 and #53 in the country in Total Defense.  #53 is pretty bad but being in the 30s is average to a bit above average.  Not great by any means.  But not nearly as bad as many like to make it out to be.

• Plus1 2

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From 2011 to 2014 - Pelini's B1G years - we were #37, #35, #39 and #53 in the country in Total Defense.  #53 is pretty bad but being in the 30s is average to a bit above average.  Not great by any means.  But not nearly as bad as many like to make it out to be.

In 2011, just to pick a year, that's still 8th best amongst current Big Ten members. Taking yards per play instead of yards per game it fell to 50th/9th. 

The offenses just aren't very good in this conference, though I think that's slowly changing.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Bo's biggest problem on D was that he wouldn't give up the 2 high safety look in order to stop the big pass. We had really good Pass D's most years he was here, but the run D suffered for it.

The entire point of his system was that he could "create" numbers in the box through his gap control scheme to allow two high. The problem is it took pretty exceptional defensive line talent.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Saunders said:

Bo's biggest problem on D was that he wouldn't give up the 2 high safety look in order to stop the big pass. We had really good Pass D's most years he was here, but the run D suffered for it.

I would broaden that.  The guy wouldn't adjust, and you just can't do that as a coach.  TO had to make large adjustments several times throughout his career.

57 minutes ago, brophog said:

The entire point of his system was that he could "create" numbers in the box through his gap control scheme to allow two high. The problem is it took pretty exceptional defensive line talent.

Also because it was such a sight based scheme, you could formation yourself into big plays. I.e. Wisconsin, UCLA and Minnesota in 2014.

• Plus1 1