Year One: Better Offense or Defense?

Year One  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In year one, I think the defense allowing less than 28 points per game is far more likely. Averaging 35 points per game on offense in the Big 10 with a freshman quarterback in a brand new scheme is a tall order.

If this was Frost's second or third year as head coach or if Nebraska had a senior returning starter at QB like Joe Ganz, then I might answer differently.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

In year one, I think the defense allowing less than 28 points per game is far more likely. Averaging 35 points per game on offense in the Big 10 with a freshman quarterback in a brand new scheme is a tall order.

If this was Frost's second or third year as head coach or if Nebraska had a senior returning starter at QB like Joe Ganz, then I might answer differently.

Not saying you are right or wrong, however you can look at that the other way and say that these teams will be facing an offense like this for the first time and by year two will adjust - similar to the relationship in baseball of batters and pitchers.

We will see - going to be fun either way

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

Not saying you are right or wrong, however you can look at that the other way and say that these teams will be facing an offense like this for the first time and by year two will adjust - similar to the relationship in baseball of batters and pitchers.

We will see - going to be fun either way

If Nebraska wasn't going to start a freshman QB, that probably would be the argument I'd use.

It's also worth noting that last year, only 21 teams averaged 35 or more points per game. Defensively, 67 teams allowed less than 27 points per game.

I think the Huskers will be good on offense in year two under Frost. I think they will have a middle of the road offense this fall though.

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

If Nebraska wasn't going to start a freshman QB, that probably would be the argument I'd use.

That's a solid point - about 5% of the freshman have outstanding first years.  Hope we fall in the right portion of the bell curve!!!

• Plus1 1

I hope we score more than 35 and hold opponents below 28 because a season will be really hard on my heart (stress) if we average a 7 pt difference.  That's way too may last play of the game hail mary's and onside kicks, etc.  LOL

I am going to predict we average 38 plus and allow 24.   Of course, the key to limiting that average is NOT having any blowout losses where we yield 50 plus.   We need some big scores in about 4 games to help bring that average up.   Frost teams will presumably score a bunch as this offense would lend itself to late game scoring, even if we're way ahead.  Hard to just lay on the ball.   I doubt Frost and Co will be inclined to not let the offense run full bore for entire games.  We're playing so many young guys who need all the experience and practice in game situations they can get.  We need to go all out for four quarter no matter what the score.   "Run and gun" or whatever this offense might be nicknamed and hurry up means you are trying to go - go - go!   Not that they couldn't run the ball repeatedly late in games but hopefully we run the offense without any reservations.  We're years away from being in any position to be accused of running up the score on anybody really.   We were stomped on long enough nobody fears us.   We have to set the tone.  

Can we do it?    I feel more optimistic the closer we get to game 1.   Of course, I am always more optimistic than most - the Huskers are in my heart and blood and always will be.   I gotta believe!!!!!

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I doubt Frost and Co will be inclined to not let the offense run full bore for entire games.  We're playing so many young guys who need all the experience and practice in game situations they can get.  We need to go all out for four quarter no matter what the score. 

:confucius

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...