Post-Practice Presser - August 10

Mavric

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You're just trying to milk the likes from this photo, aren't you?

I don't know why the word milk came to mind.

I'm not sure why the word came was inserted into my mind.

I'm not sure why the word inserted was on the tip of my tongue.

I have no shame...

Also, it’s been more than 4 hours.

Q4yxVRE.jpg

• Plus1 2

It's going to be fun to see where this team can go in 12 games. I think we'll be a lot better in November. But, at times, this is going to be U-G-L-Y. Guys are going to be good at times and lost at others. They're going to compete well at times and then get distracted and regress. We have to learn to compete. We have to develop comfortable confidence with the play calls. We have to find out what guys are the answers and where we need young guys and more recruits. People are saying that nine wins is perfectly reasonable. Listen to the interview again. Frost is speaking the truth and he is saying that there's a lot to do before we get to where all of us want the program to be.

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

People are saying that nine wins is perfectly reasonable. Listen to the interview again. Frost is speaking the truth and he is saying that there's a lot to do before we get to where all of us want the program to be.

Maybe 9 wins isn't where we want the program to be.

• Plus1 5

Freshmen QBs as well as Freshman and Sophs scattered throughout the team that play significant minutes are going to make plenty of mistakes mixed in with those 'special' ones.   There are going to be more than enough of those learning situations and teachable moments.   Frost's offense from what I gather from watching a few games and listening to his comments as well as many comments on this board requires, above all else, a QB to make QUICK, CORRECT decisions both before and after the snap.   QBs who throw to the wrong place or player after misreading the defense or when his receiver runs the route wrong, or bobbles the snaps or messes up the timing on a simple handoff, cause bad plays including turnovers.   Those, as we saw last year (Tanner Lee's pick six routine),  are game losers.   The defense will need to rise up to get some keys stops and hold opponents to field goals.  

It may be that Frost will need several QBs to come into the early season games depending on conditions and confidence, etc.   This won't be an easy decision to start a true, raw freshman or redshirt frosh, each with only 8 months to learn what appears to be a very complex position.   I think Martinez and Gebbia are confident in themselves but when the errors happen, it will be key for the individuals, the team and coaches to keep encouraging and stay positive.  They'll need to play without fear of making mistakes as Frost is stressing.   Easier said than done for some guys.  Character will be vital.  

16 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

It's going to be fun to see where this team can go in 12 games. I think we'll be a lot better in November. But, at times, this is going to be U-G-L-Y. Guys are going to be good at times and lost at others. They're going to compete well at times and then get distracted and regress. We have to learn to compete. We have to develop comfortable confidence with the play calls. We have to find out what guys are the answers and where we need young guys and more recruits. People are saying that nine wins is perfectly reasonable. Listen to the interview again. Frost is speaking the truth and he is saying that there's a lot to do before we get to where all of us want the program to be.

I think you're probably right on this take.  Everyone likes to focus on the undefeated fantasy season, but i would pay closer attention to the first reality season under Frost.  It went much as you described above and was fairly ugly at times.  While I'd like to think we're further ahead than his first season at UCF, due to coaching continuity, having QB's that were here for spring, all the talent addition, all the staff addition, I realize there is the possibility that the ball won't bounce our way some times.  And having freshmen starters/contributors on the field quite a bit is a recipe for a few losses.  Oh yeah and that schedule...

• Plus1 2

I’m more excited about the start to this season than I’ve been in ages. Frost seems to be encouraged by what he’s seeing from the team. Hopefully we’ll win the ones we’re supposed to and even surprise a couple pf people this season. We need to get back to dominating Iowa asap. Their fans are like K-State fans used to be in pure obnoxiousness.

• Plus1 2