Pronunciation of words by Nebraskans

I've heard commercials from 2 different grocery stores and they have both made me wonder whether I pronounce "grocery" a Nebraska way, or if I just randomly pronounce it the way I do. And in my opinion, the way I pronounce it is the un-snooty way.

My way (and the Nebraska way?): Groshery, Grosheries

Snooty way (in the commercials): Grossery, Grosseries

If my way is the Nebraska way I think these grocery stores need to make different commercials for our area.

What are some other examples and how do you say them?

accuracy - accYuracy or Ackeracy ? (I was watching a football game)

vase - vozz or vace ?

comfortable - comfterble or com-fort-a-ble ?

• Plus1 2

Norfolk- Norfork

Virginia way- Norf#&%

Grocery. I've never heard or pronounced this as Groshery and I'm not snooty. There is no 'sh' in there.

Snooty is calling a vase a vozz.

And popiggle.....I've never heard that. Popsickle seems pretty straightforward.

Accurate I've heard both ways. Ackyurate seems right to me. I don't like ackerate.

I'll say comfortable both ways depending on usage and context.

• Plus1 2

I learned for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago that people refer to crayons differently.

I say 'cray-on.'

Others, apparently, say 'cran.'

I also didn't realize just how big of a debate it is. There was a video on Facebook that went viral over how people say it. Some weirdos even refer to them as 'crowns.'

18 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

What about Kearney?

Carnie seems right to me but I've heard a lot of people not from Nebraska butcher it.

Kurney, Kyurney ...

My husband (non Nebraskan) saw the word, Kearney and pronounced it KEERney.  I've always heard it as Carnie.

But, considering that he also pronounced Dubuque as DO-B-Q, I think he just sucks at picking up how words should be pronounced.

I'm not sure if i ever laughed so hard as when he asked if I had ever been to DO-B-Q, and even had to call my parents and share it with them.

Also BOO to anyone who says WORSH.  Man, that grates on my nerves.

Along the same lines, saying the word, SEEN, when it should be SAW (or I have SEEN), is nails on a chalkboard, but that is a different topic.

• Plus1 3

52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I learned for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago that people refer to crayons differently.

I say 'cray-on.'

Others, apparently, say 'cran.'

I also didn't realize just how big of a debate it is. There was a video on Facebook that went viral over how people say it. Some weirdos even refer to them as 'crowns.'

My wife says crowns.  I've let her know repeatedly she's a weirdo.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

My husband (non Nebraskan) saw the word, Kearney and pronounced it KEERney.  I've always heard it as Carnie.

But, considering that he also pronounced Dubuque as DO-B-Q, I think he just sucks at picking up how words should be pronounced.

I'm not sure if i ever laughed so hard as when he asked if I had ever been to DO-B-Q, and even had to call my parents and share it with them.

Also BOO to anyone who says WORSH.  Man, that grates on my nerves.

Along the same lines, saying the word, SEEN, when it should be SAW (or I have SEEN), is nails on a chalkboard, but that is a different topic.

I kinda like Do-B-Q.  Could make a song mashup with Susie Q.

And the misuse of seen and saw bugs me too. Don’t get me started on To-Too-Two....

• Plus1 2