** 2018 Husker Previews: The Athletic's Big Ten Prediction's

Feldman_BigTen_Prediction-1024x450.png

New Nebraska coach Scott Frost didn’t take much time to flip a dismal UCF team into a group that went from 0-12 to 13-0. The road will be tougher in Lincoln, but he does take over a team with three talented receivers and some experienced guys on defense coming off a mess of a 2017 season. Count me a believer. The buy-in from EVERYONE inside this program is strong. Frost will get this thing going in a big way sooner rather than later.

https://theathletic.com/470761/2018/08/14/feldman-big-ten-football-predictions-for-2018/

• Plus1 1

Apparently those were Bruce Feldman's picks. Here are Stewart Mandel's.

Mandel_BigTen_Predicted_Standings-1024x4

I expect Scott Frost to make an immediate splash on offense at Nebraska with his hurry-up system, presumably with speedy freshman QB Adrian Martinez leading the way. But the Huskers’ defense was completely broken last season and will take time to rebuild.

https://theathletic.com/472123/2018/08/14/mandel-big-ten-football-predictions-for-2018/

• Plus1 1

Defenses don't take time to rebuild. May take a talent infusion to become elite, but bad defenses can make enormous strides in one year, and often do for a new staff. Bad defenses are bad tacklers and usually out of position due to poor scheme or communication. It's usually not because talent is that inferior.

Some very recent examples:

Purdue  moving from 106th to 39th in ypp.

UCF had moved from 107th to 11th.

Miami (FL) moved from 92nd to 16th.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Feldman and Mandel are both very, very wrong. Mark my words. I can kinda understand 6-6 but 4-5? What the frick....

I certainly don't expect us to make it through the season undefeated but I do think a CCG appearance is at least possible.

How do you understand 6-6 overall but not 4-5 in conference? 

@UM

@Wisky

@tOSU

MSU 

@Iowa

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Feldman and Mandel are both very, very wrong. Mark my words. I can kinda understand 6-6 but 4-5? What the frick....

I certainly don't expect us to make it through the season undefeated but I do think a CCG appearance is at least possible.

Remember everyone being all up in arms a year ago at the low win total predictions?   I hope no one bet the house on the overs and hope the same for this year.  I think we'll be pleasantly surprised, but there are A LOT of unknowns.  

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm starting to believe we can beat any team on this list except maybe OSU.

*Edit* Ahh, I see what you meant. Somehow, and don't ask me how because I have no idea...somehow I mistook 4-5 for something else and that's all I have to say about that. :D

:)  I personally thought maybe you saw it that way and let it slide, knowing you'd come around. 

4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Remember everyone being all up in arms a year ago at the low win total predictions?   I hope no one bet the house on the overs and hope the same for this year.  I think we'll be pleasantly surprised, but there are A LOT of unknowns.  

The unknowns affect the predictions, too, especially data based analysis.