Biggest Concerns?

Put the koolaid aside for just one moment.  Tell me your deepest darkest fears for the 2018 season.

I'll go first.  I really have concerns about special teams.

We didn't get to see anything from the spring game in terms of KR/PR.  Whoever is placekicker, has never kicked a point or FG in a D1 game.  Our place kickers missed a fair amount in the bit we did get to see.  And, I have to be honest, I'm not convinced Dewitt spends very much time with the kickers.  I did vote him my favorite ass't coach, so i want him to prove me wrong in the worst way on all of the above.  But, in watching UCF games from 2016, that unit stunk on ice, and I'm being kind.

We do have some studs to return kicks, but will they be used well and not get killed on the return?

• Plus1 3

Probably a bit of a copout but I will go with depth. I think installing new stuff, which sounds like it’s going rather smoothly, will still take some time to get an entire rotation of players up to speed. Even some of the lesser opponents on our schedule have coaching staffs and systems that have been in place for a while. I have us winning 7 games and the only way I see that number going lower than that is if we battle some injuries that other teams may be able to absorb better in the interim. I think there are a couple positions where guys are going to play a TON of snaps this year, which could be a problem. ILB is one that has me a little nervous.

You've got to have an offensive and defensive line. We had neither last year. We will have few concerns if our lines are superior on both sides.

So, my biggest concern this season is our line play more specifically the defensive line. As a whole, I'm looking at the front 7 more than anything else.

• Plus1 3

Not worried about ST. This staff is all about the details, I think they devote more focus to special teams than most staffs. My concerns are QB and DB. This offense goes as the QB goes a little bit and with the lack of experience its a concern. At DB we were terrible last year. We have to improve

31 minutes ago, FTW said:

You've got to have an offensive and defensive line. We had neither last year. We will have few concerns if our lines are superior on both sides.

So, my biggest concern this season is our line play more specifically the defensive line. As a whole, I'm looking at the front 7 more than anything else.

The past 3 years of Riley S&C will be evident.

• Plus1 1

I'm secretly terrified that we (including myself) are getting our hopes up so much with HCSF. If this season, despite everything we hear, turns into a dumpster fire, showing the same dumb things we've seen from the last several coaches, I don't honestly know what will happen. I know we all talk about "measured/realistic expectations" but I think we are all expecting to see some dramatic improvements. If this team doesn't show this, how will our fanbase react? What if HCSF isn't as good as we think he is? I'm terrified of what will happen if he doesn't work out. I can deal with QB mistakes, needing to develop depth, but I don't know what'll happen if the coaching isn't up to snuff. 

• Plus1 6