Biggest Concerns?

6 hours ago, Toe said:

I know you've been fanboy-ing Bryant all over the place, but the OL's complete and utter inability to execute basic techniques like pulling had nothing to do with Bryant being in or not. They could stand there and pass block decently enough - it was Riley & Langsdorf's top priority after all - but that was about it.

Our pass pro under Riley was some of the worst I have ever seen

My concern is not winning or losing as much, as seeing this staff make adjustments as the game progresses. I'm tired of seeing our former coaching staffs watch the score getting out of hand, and not making changes to the "scheme". You shouldn't have to wait till halftime, to make adjustments. I think the last three staffs were stubborn, and put to much of the blame on the players. 

I think we have the right guy, heading this rebuild. We should only get better as the year go's on. Only thing I see slowing the progress down, is injuries. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 3

CB: We have zero proven guys at this position so far. We really need someone to step up. Biggest concern by far for me

OLB: Our pass rush has been abysmal. I feel good about Ferguson, but the opposite side will need to play well. Gifford/Dixon/Davis

Center: The staff wants the best 5 guys so it will be interesting to see if Conrad can hold his spot down or if we will have to shuffle around

QB: I love Martinez, but at the end of the day he is a true freshman that didn't even play his SR of HS football. Hopefully by game 4 he is ready to roll with the tough B10 road games

K: Another true freshman that will have his stones checked. We've had great success at this position and we will see if that continues 

Overall I think we have a pretty good football team. Not great, but definitely enough to take that first step forward under Frost. The defense will be improved this year. What we have going for us is the meat/middle of the defense - DL, ILB, S. It's the outsides that will have to keep contain, tackle in space, and challenge receivers. Offensively we have enough up front as long as they stay healthy. QB will make some mistakes, but he will have good skill players to get the ball to and help his job a lot. One nation under Frost #GBR

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

CB: We have zero proven guys at this position so far. We really need someone to step up. Biggest concern by far for me

OLB: Our pass rush has been abysmal. I feel good about Ferguson, but the opposite side will need to play well. Gifford/Dixon/Davis

Center: The staff wants the best 5 guys so it will be interesting to see if Conrad can hold his spot down or if we will have to shuffle around

QB: I love Martinez, but at the end of the day he is a true freshman that didn't even play his SR of HS football. Hopefully by game 4 he is ready to roll with the tough B10 road games

K: Another true freshman that will have his stones checked. We've had great success at this position and we will see if that continues 

Overall I think we have a pretty good football team. Not great, but definitely enough to take that first step forward under Frost. The defense will be improved this year. What we have going for us is the meat/middle of the defense - DL, ILB, S. It's the outsides that will have to keep contain, tackle in space, and challenge receivers. Offensively we have enough up front as long as they stay healthy. QB will make some mistakes, but he will have good skill players to get the ball to and help his job a lot. One nation under Frost #GBR

CB - Absolutely. Sounds like we have guys stepping up, and the numbers are way better than they were in the spring, but it's a big concern until we see on the field. The reassurance is the staff has been very blunt in their talk of the secondary and their praise this fall says a lot. 

Pass rush - To me linebacker, not QB, is the most interesting position battle(s) on this team. I grow increasingly less concerned here, but also increasingly more curious. 

Center - This is really center/right guard. Farmer may be the best at both, so it's a question of which gets weaker if he's not there. Tackle depth is the bigger concern for me. I'm excited for this offensive line and think it will be seen as a strength.

QB - I'm not concerned here. The standards are extremely high. 

PK - Not concerned, but not excited. Pickering will probably win the job, but it doesn't sound like he has a lot of range. The offense should be good enough to not be a big deal, and Frost is smart in how he sets up third down to go for fourth down. But in a close game, it could be the difference.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, brophog said:

PK - Not concerned, but not excited. Pickering will probably win the job, but it doesn't sound like he has a lot of range. The offense should be good enough to not be a big deal, and Frost is smart in how he sets up third down to go for fourth down. But in a close game, it could be the difference.

They said yesterday that he has hit a 56 yard FG in practice.  It didn't sound like that would be the norm but that's not the norm for very many.  Not sure where they feel comfortable but that's not bad range.

2 hours ago, shyndy said:

Our pass pro under Riley was some of the worst I have ever seen

Eh, they were passable when they wanted to be. On one hand, some are putting too much stock in them simply because of their relatively low sack counts. On the other hand, a lot of their poor performance was due to their own piss-poor half-assed effort. Frost ain't gonna tolerate that, and the worst offender (Gates) is gone now.

• Plus1 1

QB: I don' expect much out of this position. At UCF, there was a massive difference between year 1 and year 2  for Milton. Even though our guys have been in the system longer, and the coaching staff has been together longer, I still think it takes a while to be productive. Even at the end of year 1 at UCF Milton wasn't doing that great at UCF. I pulled the stats from 2016 (four games had no stats). For the first 5 games of 2016 (with stats available), Milton's completion percentage was 60% with 8 TDs and 4 ints. For the last five games Milton's completion percentage was 56% with 2 TDs and 3 ints. I was very surprised by his rushing. For the first 5 gaves he rushed for 1.55 yards per carry, and for the last 5 he rushed for 1.62 yards per carry. The games with missing stats were SOuth Carolina State, Michigan, East Carolina and Tulane.

PK: We have probably had one of the best PK in college football every for the past 20 years. Will that continue? The missed extra point in the spring game was ugly.

• Plus1 1