Biggest Concerns?

5 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Frost knew what to do before UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Which is the reason their first call (within the hour after the game) was to Adrian Martinez. Everything I've seen so far is that Adrian has been everything they expected and more. I'm sure they are being fair in their evaluation, but Frost knew what Nebraska's roster lacked before he even took the job.

Their first call was to highly rated quaterback commited to a school in flux, farther away from his home, hadn’t been that committed to the school,  coming off a large injury?  There is more then just he was who Frost wanted to play QB.  If he didn’t come someone else would have.  Glad you have been at practice all week, where TG has been getting more 1s the AM.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Frost knew what to do before UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Which is the reason their first call (within the hour after the game) was to Adrian Martinez. Everything I've seen so far is that Adrian has been everything they expected and more. I'm sure they are being fair in their evaluation, but Frost knew what Nebraska's roster lacked before he even took the job.

Or he knew that you should take at least 1 QB every cycle.

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Actually I agree with you but I couldn't avoid addressing the factual tone of your post. I think it will be AM and I want it to be AM but I also know that Frost is keeping his options open and will do whatever he feels is best for the team. That may mean that AM is not the day one starter or that there may be a period of QB by committee but yeah, I think it will end up being his job to lose very soon.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Are you guys just stating the obvious or is this preparing the way to complain later?  I think we all realize this offense will have it's share of turnovers, it's just kinda how it is, especially being a first year system with inexperienced QB's. Hopefully the neutralizer will be getting some takeaways on the other side and scoring fast and often.

Uhhhhh, I’m not a complainer. Last I really complained was Cosgrove keeping his job 6 weeks past his expiration date. 

My greatest fear headed into the seaso is turnovers, mmm-k?  We limit turnovers we will be just fine. We have a ton of turnovers, especially with a freshman or rs freshman QB? Not to mention a defense that’s already preping 90 plays a game....I think having too many turnovers is my biggest fear 

Just now, Comfortably Numb said:

Actually I agree with you but I couldn't avoid addressing the factual tone of your post. I think it will be AM and I want it to be AM but I also know that Frost is keeping his options open and will do whatever he feels is best for the team. That may mean that AM is not the day one starter or that there may be a period of QB by committee but yeah, I think it will end up being his job to lose very soon.

We agree that Frost is not committing too soon. This whole staff knows that competition is how you get better. They aren't going to let anyone feel overly comfortable in their starting position or number of plays in the game if it motivates them to stay focused, work hard, and get better. I think they are also being properly respectful of Gebbia's seniority at Nebraska, part of the reason he's playing more snaps with the #1s. As a fellow Californian he was a big help in making Martinez comfortable with his visit to NU. But don't be surprised if the next practice flips and they give more snaps to Martinez with the #1s. They are all about evaluating & grading players fairly.

1 minute ago, I am I said:

Uhhhhh, I’m not a complainer. Last I really complained was Cosgrove keeping his job 6 weeks past his expiration date. 

My greatest fear headed into the seaso is turnovers, mmm-k?  We limit turnovers we will be just fine. We have a ton of turnovers, especially with a freshman or rs freshman QB? Not to mention a defense that’s already preping 90 plays a game....I think having too many turnovers is my biggest fear 

Fair enough and a legitimate concern. I guess I'm just not that concerned about the turnovers because I am expecting quite a few of them.  But yeah, too many or at inopportune times could spell trouble and potentially be the difference in some games 

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

No idea what to make of that. Martinez was pushed to be faster because his pacing was lacking before, or he was pushed to be faster because they think he’s gonna be the starter and that’s what they need.

Having Gebbia run the offense first pushes Martinez' buttons.
Pressuring Martinez to run the offense faster pushes Martinez' buttons.

Result: Noticable difference in tempo with Martinez at the controls.

I have an idea of what to make of that.

Just now, cheekygeek said:

Having Gebbia runs the offense first pushes Martinez' buttons.
Pressuring Martinez to run the offense faster pushes Martinez' buttons.

Result: Noticable difference in tempo with Martinez at the controls.

I have an idea of what to make of that.

To the bolded, maybe. But we know they are alternating with the 1s (Harry Potter said so today), so they could have just as easily flipped a coin to see who went first.

Based on the below quote from the OWH, there really is too little information to form any sort of meaningful opinion.

But Walters and every other player and coach who spoke after practice maintained their neutral stance that has lasted since spring. All three quarterbacks are still splitting reps evenly.

"This week, we're going to evaluate them," Walters said. "Then probably going into next week we'll make some decisions as we get closer to a game. But all those guys, they're competing. They all bring different elements to the table. We just gotta figure out which one leads the offense the best and that's going to be our guy. But they all have to be ready."

16 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Put the koolaid aside for just one moment.  Tell me your deepest darkest fears for the 2018 season.

I'll go first.  I really have concerns about special teams.

We didn't get to see anything from the spring game in terms of KR/PR.  Whoever is placekicker, has never kicked a point or FG in a D1 game.  Our place kickers missed a fair amount in the bit we did get to see.  And, I have to be honest, I'm not convinced Dewitt spends very much time with the kickers.  I did vote him my favorite ass't coach, so i want him to prove me wrong in the worst way on all of the above.  But, in watching UCF games from 2016, that unit stunk on ice, and I'm being kind.

We do have some studs to return kicks, but will they be used well and not get killed on the return?

Using this logic, I will go with QB.

I think Gebbia is a crazy hard worker and Martinez is getting there but both are young, learning a new system and have expectations.

The whole team is fairly new. While I think the future is exciting, it will take these kids time to create the cohesion we want.

I think the WR core is super talented and has some big time guys, but I just hope we can find ways to get them the ball in space to let them work.