Biggest Concerns?

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Luckily, i already scheduled a week off the week prior to Frost's arrival, and spent countless hours in the mega thread.  I probably would have been fired THAT week, for sure.  I happen to be starting a new job on Monday, so I have to behave for at least a few months.

That mega thread was a lot fun reading up until the Jessica crap.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

i think you have to say QB. we really have no idea how martinez or gebbia will perform. the bright side is they have 2 pretty good targets in morgan and spielman.

I can't say QB is a concern. If one of them were having issues, the race would be over. If both were having issues, the race would be over. The race is still going on, and Bunch won't win...means they're probably doing pretty good. There haven't been any reports by anyone that suggest a lingering concern at the position, just intrigue at which gifted youngster may win it. 

There are a lot more than two targets as well. This offense will most of the time release 5 into the pattern and every position has guys that make a QB's life easier. Tight end is a position we don't discuss that I think we will be thrilled with. Got so many weapons at so many positions it's hard to say what the best set may be. The staff can get real creative.

30 minutes ago, brophog said:

I can't say QB is a concern. If one of them were having issues, the race would be over. If both were having issues, the race would be over. The race is still going on, and Bunch won't win...means they're probably doing pretty good. There haven't been any reports by anyone that suggest a lingering concern at the position, just intrigue at which gifted youngster may win it. 

There are a lot more than two targets as well. This offense will most of the time release 5 into the pattern and every position has guys that make a QB's life easier. Tight end is a position we don't discuss that I think we will be thrilled with. Got so many weapons at so many positions it's hard to say what the best set may be. The staff can get real creative.

Ya. With Frost's track record I'm not too worried about QB, although a bad line can make things hard for any QB.

19 minutes ago, brophog said:

1. the coaches already know who the starter is. they've been working with these guys for 9 months. they know, but there's no reason to announce it and give akron a heads up.

2. whoever the starter is has no experience. that's why it's a concern. they can dominate practice and receive praise from the media, but doesn't mean much until we see them play a game.

3. yes i know there's more than 2 targets. i just was pointing out we have 2 really good proven receivers leading the group.

35 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

1. the coaches already know who the starter is. they've been working with these guys for 9 months.

You don't know that. They could be neck and neck and it could be basically a coin flip decision. On the other hand they could know and they're using the perceived competition to motivate. But I've heard players say they don't envy them the decision.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, The Dude said:

Tre Bryant's knees is my biggest concern.  I think the RB depth has been a bit exaggerated.  Bryant and Washington are beasts but Washington is maybe a 6-8 carry (per game) guy right now.

Bell and Ozigbo are serviceable, but not at the level of our top guys.

First thing, we of course won’t really know until games are played in order to determine the abilities of our RBs. With that said, everything I’m hearing is both Greg Bell and Devine Ozigbo are better than serviceable. DO has apparently really improved his quickness and speed — and is now considered a home-run threat, as is GB and MW. I’m a bit surprised that TB is not considered a breakaway threat. Isn’t Miles Jones supposed to be? Anyway, I feel real good about the talent we have at RB.  

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You don't know that. They could be neck and neck and it could be basically a coin flip decision. On the other hand they could know and they're using the perceived competition to motivate. But I've heard players say they don't envy them the decision.

It's crazy, college kids are so indecisive.

14 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

My biggest concern is that there are too many fans with expectations that are too high and they won't be patient enough with the turnaround.

The expectations will always be high, that's what makes a top program. It's important to be fair, though. If we don't convert a 4th down, for instance, understand why we went for it and not just get angry because it's a result you didn't like. Being fair is understanding we have coaches that are constantly trying to evaluate and improve their own decisions, too. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wait, what?  

I thought it seemed like most of what we've seen/heard over the last several days points to Gebbia.

It's the ole bait and switch kicked up a notch. The spin is that Frost is giving Gebbia more reps for the sole purpose of pressuring AM to improve. Crazy times.

8 hours ago, BoSolich said:

1. the coaches already know who the starter is. they've been working with these guys for 9 months. they know, but there's no reason to announce it and give akron a heads up.

They probably have a rough idea who they think it may be, or a guy they hope is able to keep separating himself, but I don't think we can say with such certainty that they know who the starter is. They've been pretty honest and direct about the team since day one. They've given little to no indication that they're going to BS all of us and the media just for the sake of illusion.

I heard a good point the other day that I find myself agreeing with - if TG is going to win this job, he probably knows he has to do it convincingly. Too little separation between he and Martinez probably favors Martinez because a) he was hand-picked by Lord ScoFro himself and b) he has the dynamic athleticism that TG doesn't. That's why I think the longer this competition remains 'fierce' the more likely it is that Martinez gets the nod.

• Plus1 2