Biggest Concerns?

22 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

It's the ole bait and switch kicked up a notch. The spin is that Frost is giving Gebbia more reps for the sole purpose of pressuring AM to improve. Crazy times.

Frost isn’t giving Gebbia more reps. Gebbia got the reps with the 1s yesterday. It was stated multiple times that they are going to rotate Martinez and Gebbia with the 1s. Yesterday was obviously Gebbia’s turn.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They probably have a rough idea who they think it may be, or a guy they hope is able to keep separating himself, but I don't think we can say with such certainty that they know who the starter is. They've been pretty honest and direct about the team since day one. They've given little to no indication that they're going to BS all of us and the media just for the sake of illusion.

I heard a good point the other day that I find myself agreeing with - if TG is going to win this job, he probably knows he has to do it convincingly. Too little separation between he and Martinez probably favors Martinez because a) he was hand-picked by Lord ScoFro himself and b) he has the dynamic athleticism that TG doesn't. That's why I think the longer this competition remains 'fierce' the more likely it is that Martinez gets the nod.

Agree with 100% of this take.

20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's why I think the longer this competition remains 'fierce' the more likely it is that Martinez gets the nod.

Maybe.

The process has played out like they said it would. Learn the basic install, work on fine details, and don't evaluate until the guys have had a chance to learn. The schedule has always been to name a starter about a week before the opener and they're right on schedule.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Frost isn’t giving Gebbia more reps. Gebbia got the reps with the 1s yesterday. It was stated multiple times that they are going to rotate Martinez and Gebbia with the 1s. Yesterday was obviously Gebbia’s turn.

This is my understanding also but it has been portrayed (spun) otherwise by others.

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They probably have a rough idea who they think it may be, or a guy they hope is able to keep separating himself, but I don't think we can say with such certainty that they know who the starter is. They've been pretty honest and direct about the team since day one. They've given little to no indication that they're going to BS all of us and the media just for the sake of illusion.

I heard a good point the other day that I find myself agreeing with - if TG is going to win this job, he probably knows he has to do it convincingly. Too little separation between he and Martinez probably favors Martinez because a) he was hand-picked by Lord ScoFro himself and b) he has the dynamic athleticism that TG doesn't. That's why I think the longer this competition remains 'fierce' the more likely it is that Martinez gets the nod.

Or...the longer it remains fierce could indicate that AM is not separating himself and maybe TG is actually outperforming him and nullifying the hand-picked advantage. Just an alternate possible :HotTake:

BTW I like Lord ScoFro. That could stick.

I'm not most concerned about anything on offense. I'm pretty surprised to see so many responses there. I do agree about Bryant's knees though...if his knees were 100% the season would look pretty different offensively.

I'm most concerned about playing a lot of 3-4 on defense. Especially against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan.

I understand that using your linebackers more aggressively should be the equalizer but I still just have a lot of concerns there. We'll need an extremely athletic effort from our backers with the roster we have on defense in order to not be bullied in the run game once we hit the heart of the B1G schedule.

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not most concerned about anything on offense. I'm pretty surprised to see so many responses there. I do agree about Bryant's knees though...if his knees were 100% the season would look pretty different offensively.

I'm most concerned about playing a lot of 3-4 on defense. Especially against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan.

I understand that using your linebackers more aggressively should be the equalizer but I still just have a lot of concerns there. We'll need an extremely athletic effort from our backers with the roster we have on defense in order to not be bullied in the run game once we hit the heart of the B1G schedule.

Coach Chin mixes it up quite a bit. Although base might be a 3-4, he often uses 4 down linemen. I'd expect to see more 4 down linemen and/or walking both outside backers up in the 3-4 to give more of a 5-2 look when facing run heavy teams and/or personnel. 

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Coach Chin mixes it up quite a bit. Although base might be a 3-4, he often uses 4 down linemen. I'd expect to see more 4 down linemen and/or walking both outside backers up in the 3-4 to give more of a 5-2 look when facing run heavy teams and/or personnel. 

Thumbs up, bro.

2 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Or...the longer it remains fierce could indicate that AM is not separating himself and maybe TG is actually outperforming him and nullifying the hand-picked advantage. Just an alternate possible :HotTake:

Very true, but if TG is outperforming him then I think the competition ceases to be fierce at that point. Where my mind is at is this: if things are really neck and neck come decision time, I personally think this favors AM over TG because of the reasons I outlined. (And, I think AM probably has the higher overall ceiling in this offense long term).

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Very true, but if TG is outperforming him then I think the competition ceases to be fierce at that point. Where my mind is at is this: if things are really neck and neck come decision time, I personally think this favors AM over TG because of the reasons I outlined. (And, I think AM probably has the higher overall ceiling in this offense long term).

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1