Biggest Concerns?

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You don't know that. They could be neck and neck and it could be basically a coin flip decision. On the other hand they could know and they're using the perceived competition to motivate. But I've heard players say they don't envy them the decision.

Ya, I'm with you.  Additionally, if the staff is holding off announcing so as to not give Akron a heads up (as @BoSolich said) ... God help us all ... we are gonna go 4-8 or worse.  :-)

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Very true, but if TG is outperforming him then I think the competition ceases to be fierce at that point. Where my mind is at is this: if things are really neck and neck come decision time, I personally think this favors AM over TG because of the reasons I outlined. (And, I think AM probably has the higher overall ceiling in this offense long term).

Oh I agree with your assessment. I was just playing devil's advocate because ultimately the decision is only something we can guess at this point. I think the first few games may still be fluid but by mid season, at the latest, it will be AM's job to lose. Just me spit ballin'.

5 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Except that it is all wrong phonetically. To pronounce it properly one would have to say "Lord Scah-Frah"

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

That's how I pronounce it in my head. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Me too. That's how I read it.

No, it's long 'o' sound, like Lord Scoh Froh. Although I think Lord Frost is better

All the debate over who will start the first game but no discussion of which QB is filling the role of scout team QB.   And frankly, I've read almost nothing about scout team period.   The scout team has to prepare the offense and defense for each week's opponent.   I don't even recall much about any of Riley's scout team stuff and maybe even some year's before that.  I assume on some basis there is a scout team?

As we're approaching 2 weeks to go until game 1, I believe the game plan install typically for the first game goes in during that two week period and often the last three days before first game are 'rest' pretty light duty.    Hopefully the struggle to install the new schemes and determine the 2 deep guys has been minimal and only the media and us fans are unaware.   The team should have enough decent players to rotate on nearly all the offensive and defensive positions, especially against the non-confererence oppoents.  This should really help to identify the best and second best.    It takes plenty of scrimmaging and live full contact to really determine who the best are in my view.   Drills and green jersey tough football is NOT the same as real game conditions.   The coaches know this I am sure but the media ?   Not so sure.  

As for the QB 'race'. I would say if the there is really very little difference between Gebbia and Martinez and or Bunch (he did good things in the spring game too), then I'd say the plan ought to be to get some game action for both or even all three on Sept. 1.   If one or the other presents better skills for the game one match up. then start him.  If the other might present a better option vs. Colorado, then play him.   There is a high degree of probability that we will need two 'starters' this fall and God forbid, ,maybe three.   All must be ready to play as injuries, etc. happen every year.  With the youth and inexperience, we need QBs who are practiced and accustomed to throwing to RBs and WRs, for example, with enough repetitions.   Maybe those need to be packaged somewhat?   

12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

And frankly, I've read almost nothing about scout team period.

The scout team is mostly irrelevant at this point in the season because they're still in the thick of fall camp. At the earliest, they may begin install at the end of next week, but they won't begin full focus on Akron until the week of the game. Also, truth to be told, most people just don't really care about the scout team hence the lack of coverage on it.

Then I'd say the plan ought to be to get some game action for both or even all three on Sept. 1.   If one or the other presents better skills for the game one match up. then start him.  If the other might present a better option vs. Colorado, then play him.   There is a high degree of probability that we will need two 'starters' this fall and God forbid, ,maybe three.   All must be ready to play as injuries, etc. happen every year.  With the youth and inexperience, we need QBs who are practiced and accustomed to throwing to RBs and WRs, for example, with enough repetitions.   Maybe those need to be packaged somewhat?

Multiple prepared players is always the hope at every position, but Frost and Verduzco have been pretty clear up to this point that they are not in favor of a two QB system in any fashion. The starter in game one will be the starter for this season unless he struggles. They won't be starting QB's based on the match up. They'll be starting the QB they believe gives them the best chance to win all season.

The style of play makes me less concerned with the offensive line.

The AWOL defense we had last year might take a while to get up to speed. Some big plays by the jucos might change all that but the jury is still out on every area of the defense.... they looked awful in the spring, but that was just a practice....hard to say what you have when you’re playing yourself.

@84HuskerLaw - at least according to OWH, Vedral will be running scout team.  I don't know if that is confirmed, but that's their claim anyway.  Article on where each class of Super 6 are now

Noah Vedral, Wahoo Neumann, Nebraska: Following Scott Frost from Central Florida back to Nebraska, Vedral must sit out the 2018 season because of NCAA transfer guidelines. He was the No. 2 quarterback for Central Florida as a true freshman, playing in eight games. He'll run the Nebraska scout team as a quarterback this season.

• Plus1 1

Now I'm even more concerned at the lack of depth on our OL. We're lucky to have 4 tackles altogether in rotation. With our schedule, it'll be tough to make it through Oct/Nov. I'm hoping Duval is the real deal and we see less injuries or no major injuries for that matter. When you're thin in some areas, S&C has an even bigger role.

I'd like to see less injuries this fall. The Riley era was plagued by it I think in large part to what they were doing in S&C/Nutrition. We've got all the resources at our disposal and I'm glad coach Frost sees that and is now taking advantage of it.

12 hours ago, Hayseed said:

The style of play makes me less concerned with the offensive line.

Yes - I believe the offensive style lends itself to this a bit with some of the blocking schemes. They don't necessarily have to pancake their defenders in order to consider the play a success and I think that'll be a good thing for the team this season. Austin said he thought his line performed like a 6-6 line in the scrimmage last week which one could likely deem as 'average.'

Come season end, I think we'll look back on the 2018 line and say they performed in an area from average to above average. I'm not expecting great things out of them but I do believe they'll perform better (particularly in the run game) compared to 2017.