Spinoff Topic - Transgender Children

14 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Chimi if it's not too forward (if it is just say so) what age were you when you fully realized you were transgender?  

I knew when I was 6 or 7 years old.  As I grew a little older, into my very early teen years, I remember times when I would be at home and my mom would be at work.  I would wear my mom's clothes, especially her heels and I just knew it was right.  This was  back in the late 70's and very early 80s and there was no internet yet, no resources, and so I had no idea what to do with those feelings.  So, I buried them.  Buried them and spent 20+ years just getting more lost.  I am still lost even today.  Stuck in a hell of wanting to finish transitioning, but not able to do so because of cost.  Sorry that gets into #ThreadDerailment so I'll stop there.

• Plus1 2

• 3 months later...

Stumbled upon a really fascinating long form article about transgender children here:

The current era of gender-identity awareness has undoubtedly made life easier for many young people who feel constricted by the sometimes-oppressive nature of gender expectations. A rich new language has taken root, granting kids who might have felt alone or excluded the words they need to describe their experiences. And the advent of the internet has allowed teenagers, even ones in parts of the country where acceptance of gender nonconformity continues to come far too slowly, to find others like them.

But when it comes to the question of physical interventions, this era has also brought fraught new challenges to many parents. Where is the line between not “feeling like” a girl because society makes it difficult to be a girl and needing hormones to alleviate dysphoria that otherwise won’t go away? How can parents tell? How can they help their children gain access to the support and medical help they might need, while also keeping in mind that adolescence is, by definition, a time of fevered identity exploration?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/when-a-child-says-shes-trans/561749/

And then, a follow up by the writer detailing how many hyper left publications mischaracterized the piece and went after the guy with inaccurate and unearned criticisms:

But at the end of the day, this is indicative of a bigger problem: Liberal journalism is not doing a good job covering this subject. There aren’t enough journalists, at the moment, who treat this like a genuine beat, who take the time to have the conversations and read the literature that’s required to understand the conversations and debates going on in the field itself. Instead, many liberal journalists and pundits rely too much on this heuristic:

1. Bad people could use Claim X to harm trans and gender nonconforming people.
2. Therefore, we need to reject X, or view evidence for it in the most intensely critical light possible, and question anyone who would offer support for it.

https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/gender-dysphoria-trauma-and-online-misinformation-59a0ed43d275

• 4 weeks later...

This is just sick and wrong.  How has this club not been shutdown?

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/11-year-old-drag-kid-dances-in-popular-nyc-gay-club-as-patrons-toss-money-a

NEW YORK, New York, December 17, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Perhaps sensing the horrific optics of the event, LGBT news sites have assiduously avoided reporting that their favorite 11-year-old drag kid “Desmond Is Amazing” danced on stage in a New York gay bar while adult male patrons tossed money his way as if he were a male stripper.

The pre-adolescent boy, dressed in drag to imitate singer Gwen Stefani, pranced around the stage at Brooklyn’s 3 Dollar Bill, an LGBT bar described as “queer owned & operated,” and “Brooklyn’s Premiere Queer Bar & Performance Venue.”

6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This is just sick and wrong.  How has this club not been shutdown?

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/11-year-old-drag-kid-dances-in-popular-nyc-gay-club-as-patrons-toss-money-a

Yeah, there was an earlier video getting passed around on Facebook celebrating the amazing and inspiring young Desmond.

Myself and a couple others waded into that minefield by suggesting that an 11 year old child anywhere on the spectrum probably shouldn't be celebrating their sexuality in an overtly adult manner to an audience of adults. 

I was told that drag queens are just dressing up for fun, and there isn't anything sexual to it. I think my response was "oh, honey...."

Or to put it another way....imagine your 11 year old daughter dressing up like streetwalker caricature and posing suggestively for adults.  

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, there was an earlier video getting passed around on Facebook celebrating the amazing and inspiring young Desmond.

Myself and a couple others waded into that minefield by suggesting that an 11 year old child anywhere on the spectrum probably shouldn't be celebrating their sexuality in an overtly adult manner to an audience of adults. 

I was told that drag queens are just dressing up for fun, and there isn't anything sexual to it. I think my response was "oh, honey...."

Or to put it another way....imagine your 11 year old daughter dressing up like streetwalker caricature and posing suggestively for adults.  

Yeah, the article kinda mentions that and that his parents are proud of him.  If he was 18 or older, this is a non-issue but at 11 years old, with older men throwing money at him, this is basically pedophilia.  Oh and he's also autistic according to his parents so it's very possible he doesn't understand this is wrong and he's just enjoying all the attention.

There's a slippery slope to a lot of these discussions about providing more protections to traditionally vulnerable groups of people. 

I've got no problem with actually providing protections to LGBT individuals to prevent discrimination. But it seems like that envelope gets pushed continually further to the point where some feel like weird crap like this should be normalized too, because, you know, it's LGBT-esque. 

What a strange thing for adults to advocate for on behalf of pre-teens.  Yikes.