Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If by “efficient” he means tempo, and we put that together with reporters saying they were pressuring Martinez to go faster and he was faster than Gebbia with the pressure... that’s another little bit of evidence that makes me think he’s the one.

Trying to follow the pronouns but you're thinking Martinez?

I actually think the talk about efficiency indicates Gebbia.  The feeling seems to be that Gebbia has been better at the reads and generally more efficient with the plays he gets.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Trying to follow the pronouns but you're thinking Martinez?

I actually think the talk about efficiency indicates Gebbia.  The feeling seems to be that Gebbia has been better at the reads and generally more efficient with the plays he gets.

I edited it probably at the same time you posted.

Honestly with the tiny bit of info I can see why people could take it either way. But my theory (and yes I’m doing a lot of reading into few words) is they are specifically pushing Martinez to be more efficient because maybe it’s the one major obstacle that’s left for him to be the starter.

I think Schaefer put it best - largely, a lot of non-answers today.

I go back to what I said yesterday - I think the closer this race is come decision time, the more it favors Martinez because he was the hand-picked QB, he's the more dynamic athlete and (IMO) he has a higher ceiling than Gebbia in this offense. I don't think a lack of separation is a good sign for Gebbia at this point.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I edited it probably at the same time you posted.

Honestly with the tiny bit of info I can see why people could take it either way. But my theory (and yes I’m doing a lot of reading into few words) is they are specifically pushing Martinez to be more efficient because maybe it’s the one major obstacle that’s left for him to be the starter.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking as well.  It sure seems like Martinez has the higher ceiling.  So if they're really that close you'd think you'd go with the guy with the higher ceiling.

The tricky part is it seems like they're pretty equal on the whole but not equal at all levels.  Gebbia seems to be better in the passing game while Martinez can make explosive plays with his feet.  So part of it is also weighting those two area depending on how much of a disparity there is in both plus how important each is to the desired game plan.

With the talk of efficiency lately, it kind of make me think that Gebbia is the "safer" play right now so may be the #1 guy to start out.

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If by “efficient” he means tempo, and we put that together with reporters saying they were pressuring Martinez to go faster and he was faster than Gebbia with the pressure... that’s another little bit of evidence that makes me think Martinez is the one.

I'm confused, out of context, what reports said they were pressuring Martinez to go faster?

If Gebbia is making better reads and is more accurate with passes, I think that qualifies as more efficient at the moment.

Regarding pressuring Martinez, do you mean the coaches want him to play faster? Or that the D played more aggressively against him than Gebbia?

If the coaches want Martinez to play faster, it tells me that he either has a higher ceiling, or that he's playing tentative. I used to have a coach that would say "I'd rather have to hold you back than to try to get you to play faster" (paraphrasing to apply here). That would favor Gebbia imo, if they aren't asking him to play faster, then he must be playing fast enough already. Or AM truly has separated himself, and they want him to reach his potential asap.

3 minutes ago, Oade said:

I'm confused, out of context, what reports said they were pressuring Martinez to go faster?

If Gebbia is making better reads and is more accurate with passes, I think that qualifies as more efficient at the moment.

Regarding pressuring Martinez, do you mean the coaches want him to play faster? Or that the D played more aggressively against him than Gebbia?

If the coaches want Martinez to play faster, it tells me that he either has a higher ceiling, or that he's playing tentative. I used to have a coach that would say "I'd rather have to hold you back than to get you to play faster". That would favor Gebbia imo, if they aren't asking him to play faster, then he must be playing fast enough already. Or AM truly has selected himself, and they want him to reach his potential asap.

I don’t have a link but it’s on the forum somewhere. But first of all if efficient has nothing to do with tempo then my post can be disregarded.

Anyhow, a reporter said that when Martinez was playing there were coaches around him hurrying him up trying to increase his tempo. But with Gebbia and Bunch the coaches weren’t doing this. And during this practice, Martinez had the fastest tempo, Gebbia was 2nd and Bunch was 3rd. 

• Plus1 1