Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

I am all for starting whoever is the best option to win us games, however I just don't see Gebbia lasting in the B10 with his size.  They list him at 195, but he looks a legit 175 to me.

Here is the listed weights of some of the Big10 qb's.  I understand the argument that Milton is small, but this isn't the AAC.

6'2 195 Gebbia
6'2 220 Martinez
6'1 205 Mcsorley
6'4 218 Hornibrook
6'3 220 Haskins
6'4 242 Stanley
6'4 227 Thorson
6'2 209 Morgan( Minnesota)
6'2 205 Patterson
6'3 216 Lewerke

6'4 225 / 6'1 205 Purdue's qb's

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is my feeling.  Basically the "higher ceiling" theory but until he puts it together a little bit more Gebbia is the better option.

1620 guys were talking about this the other day. Back in the early 90's. Everyone knew Frazier was the future and the most talented guy at QB. He would demonstrate the ability to run many of the plays but not all of them well. Once it clicked and he ran ALL the plays well the whole team knew Frazier would take over and never lose his spot. I think it is a good parallel to what is going on now. Gebbia starts the season and when everything "clicks" for martinez he takes over and never looks back.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I am all for starting whoever is the best option to win us games, however I just don't see Gebbia lasting in the B10 with his size.  They list him at 195, but he looks a legit 175 to me.

Here is the listed weights of some of the Big10 qb's.  I understand the argument that Milton is small, but this isn't the AAC.

6'2 195 Gebbia
6'2 220 Martinez
6'1 205 Mcsorley
6'4 218 Hornibrook
6'3 220 Haskins
6'4 242 Stanley
6'4 227 Thorson
6'2 209 Morgan( Minnesota)
6'2 205 Patterson
6'3 216 Lewerke

6'4 225 / 6'1 205 Purdue's qb's

Ken Dorsey won a Natty and he was 6'5 and 210. Thats about the same bean pole measurements as Gebbia.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I don't think a lack of separation is a good sign for Gebbia at this point

I don't think it's good for Martinez. Your proposed theory has Martinez with the advantages, as you described before. If he's not separating that's cause for concern that he's behind by enough to nullify the advantages.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The comparison is whether or not a guy with that frame can hold up to P5 competition. It can.

The 2001 Hurricanes had 4 future NFL lineman and one of the most talented rosters to step on the field. Gebbia could have done well in that system. However, you are trying to compare what we have now to that. Your comparison is like saying your average overweight, middle aged man who smokes cigars can do what Babe Ruth did because of the similar body type.  Dorsey was also a pocket passer and was not expected to run around like Gebbia will need to in this offense. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, GSG said:

The QB discussion is fun, but this comment can be taken one of two ways. Either our defense has improved so much since last year that it can actually be disruptive or our offense stinks and can't even handle a defense that stunk last year. Hoping it's option number 1, but either way I don't think we should expect the offense to be firing on all cylinders for the first few games.

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

1620 guys were talking about this the other day. Back in the early 90's. Everyone knew Frazier was the future and the most talented guy at QB. He would demonstrate the ability to run many of the plays but not all of them well. Once it clicked and he ran ALL the plays well the whole team knew Frazier would take over and never lose his spot. I think it is a good parallel to what is going on now. Gebbia starts the season and when everything "clicks" for martinez he takes over and never looks back.

I'd agree with this. It always take a tough game to realize that they won't work. Grant vs Washington in 92' was prime example. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

It will be interesting to see if he goes with a kid that he wouldn't of even recruited, or the one who he said was the best fit for his offense in the country...

And that he flew across the country on no sleep and with a bad cold to secure his commitment.  But it depends if he wants more of a game-manager that may be a safer pick (Gebbia) vs a potential game-changer that is not yet as consistent (Martinez).  I think letting both play the first couple games will help Frost shape his opinion for the rest of the season.  

Also, with how tough the BIG schedule is this year, mental toughness in the QB...especially on the road...will be more important than ever.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You are correct. But swapping out a struggling QB worked out very well for Alabama last year in the title game.

I dont think you pull a guy after 1 pick or anything like that. But a thought out decision to pull him. Also it depends how the staff handles it. Set him aside and say look its an off day- your still the starter bla bla bla. I think this staff would handle it well. 

I have seen coaches fail to pull a QB after 3 ints.

• Plus1 3
44 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Another comparison though probably not as good as the one you provided is the 2010 season when Taylor Martinez (game-changing athletic speed) was seeking to take over for returning starter Zac Lee.  Lee was a better passer and more consistent but lacked the foot speed and explosive play-making ability that Martinez had.  Now I am not saying A. Martinez is just like T.Martinez nor am I saying Lee is better than Gebbia, but I do see some comparisons.   The big difference with the 2018 season is I think we have more overall combined talent at WR and RB than there was in 2010, so consistently getting the ball to those playmakers is key.