Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Another comparison though probably not as good as the one you provided is the 2010 season when Taylor Martinez (game-changing athletic speed) was seeking to take over for returning starter Zac Lee.  Lee was a better passer and more consistent but lacked the foot speed and explosive play-making ability that Martinez had.  Now I am not saying A. Martinez is just like T.Martinez nor am I saying Lee is better than Gebbia, but I do see some comparisons.   The big difference with the 2018 season is I think we have more overall combined talent at WR and RB than there was in 2010, so consistently getting the ball to those playmakers is key.

Not even close. Zac Lee was completely incompetent as a passer in many games in '09. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, bugeater17 said:

Not even close. Zac Lee was completely incompetent as a passer in many games in '09. 

As a passer he had more yards in 2009 than Martinez had in 2010 and 2011 and he also had a higher QB rating in 2009 than Martinez did in 2011.  I said it was not a perfect comparison but the 2009 won the division title and pretty much had the conference championship game won until the second was added back to the clock, something no Husker team has been able to say for the past 2 decades.  

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

As a passer he had more yards in 2009 than Martinez had in 2010 and 2011 and he also had a higher QB rating in 2009 than Martinez did in 2011.  I said it was not a perfect comparison but the 2009 won the division title and pretty much had the conference championship game won until the second was added back to the clock, something no Husker team has been able to say for the past 2 decades.  

That wasn't 09 was it I thought the second added happened in 2010

10 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

We haven't even seen Gebbia in an actual game, though, so who knows.

37 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Another comparison though probably not as good as the one you provided is the 2010 season when Taylor Martinez (game-changing athletic speed) was seeking to take over for returning starter Zac Lee.  Lee was a better passer and more consistent but lacked the foot speed and explosive play-making ability that Martinez had.  Now I am not saying A. Martinez is just like T.Martinez nor am I saying Lee is better than Gebbia, but I do see some comparisons.   The big difference with the 2018 season is I think we have more overall combined talent at WR and RB than there was in 2010, so consistently getting the ball to those playmakers is key.

Zac Lee was awful passer. Hell, if Zac Lee was a half way competent passer, we beat Texas in the 09 Big 12 championship. 

• Plus1 5

The sweetist music in this QB saga is that both our 'best' QBs are freshmen and we have two exceptional prospects committed for the future.    They all seem to be quite promising to me.

So many (nearly all it appears to me) believe Frost is a great coach and great hopes for a much brighter, happier Husker football future.   I just wonder why so many are so quick to question any decision he and or his staff make with regard to which players play where, etc.   Geesh people!   They havent played their first game and the debate rages already.   I can't imagine what it will be when either of the QBs makes his first mistake (fumble, INT, etc).   

Let's be happy the cupboard is no longer totally bare and Frost and Co are restocking the inventory at a surprising rate.   An exciting Husker football season is almost upon us.   Let's all give the team a chance to show us what they can do.  Personally, I hope we see plenty of playing time by several QBs and a bunch of RBs,. WRs. TEs. linemen, and a whole bevy of defenders.   We are building a future program where we 'reload' instead of start from scratch.   Go Huskers!   2 weeks until kick off!

47 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The sweetist music in this QB saga is that both our 'best' QBs are freshmen and we have two exceptional prospects committed for the future.    They all seem to be quite promising to me.

So many (nearly all it appears to me) believe Frost is a great coach and great hopes for a much brighter, happier Husker football future.   I just wonder why so many are so quick to question any decision he and or his staff make with regard to which players play where, etc.   Geesh people!   They havent played their first game and the debate rages already.   I can't imagine what it will be when either of the QBs makes his first mistake (fumble, INT, etc).   

Let's be happy the cupboard is no longer totally bare and Frost and Co are restocking the inventory at a surprising rate.   An exciting Husker football season is almost upon us.   Let's all give the team a chance to show us what they can do.  Personally, I hope we see plenty of playing time by several QBs and a bunch of RBs,. WRs. TEs. linemen, and a whole bevy of defenders.   We are building a future program where we 'reload' instead of start from scratch.   Go Huskers!   2 weeks until kick off!

The argument is whether we take the BMW 7 series or the convertible Porsche to the country club. In the past the argument was between 20 year old Geo metro and the Yugo.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The argument is whether we take the BMW 7 series or the convertible Porsche to the country club. In the past the argument was between 20 year old Geo metro and the Yugo.

An old friend of mine had a white Geo Metro, and we referred to it as the "tea cup".