Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost said that they would like to have two guys that they trust to play at every position on defense and then rotate them almost like a line change in hockey.  

In a perfect world, I'm sure.

Yeah, we're not Alabama or Ohio State. We don't have the depth but give it 3-4 years. Bo Pelini substituted guys in and out on defense all the time like they were hockey players and some times it really backfired. 2009 and 2010 it worked to our advantage.

55 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The argument is whether we take the BMW 7 series or the convertible Porsche to the country club. In the past the argument was between 20 year old Geo metro and the Yugo.

My thinking is the wrong Martinez arrived at the wrong time. The right one is here now to win us a championship lol.

4 hours ago, brophog said:

I don't think it's good for Martinez. Your proposed theory has Martinez with the advantages, as you described before. If he's not separating that's cause for concern that he's behind by enough to nullify the advantages.

Which would not align with what the coaches are saying.

But the Husker head coach, for the first time, mentioned the possibility that both redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia and true freshman Adrian Martinez could see the field early this season.

The two have traded having better days throughout camp.

That doesn't really sound like he's behind. It sounds like things are incredibly close and, if that's true, I think that situation favors Martinez.

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But your theory is based on something that's definitely not true: "he's behind by enough to nullify the advantages"

That's not my theory. Mine is the 'bonkers theory'. 

You also aren't listing a basis, but a result. The basis is that Martinez has innate advintages, namely being hand picked and having a higher ceiling. If those are true factors, then the result that he is really behind must be also true if this remains a close decision. Gebbia's performance = Martinez's performance + advantages.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

That's not my theory. Mine is the 'bonkers theory'. 

You also aren't listing a basis, but a result. The basis is that Martinez has innate advintages, namely being hand picked and having a higher ceiling. If those are true factors, then the result that he is really behind must be also true if this remains a close decision. Gebbia's performance = Martinez's performance + advantages.

Higher ceiling = higher potential, and it implies they haven’t met that potential. The advantage is that eventually he will be better than Gebbia. Everyone saying Martinez has a higher potential knows that Gebbia has the advantage of having practiced with college players and been in college for a year longer than Martinez. I think most think Gebbia is better at some things, too. E.g. I think most assume Gebbia is at least slightly more accurate because he wasn’t a dual threat QB and that tends to be the case.

So what you’re saying still doesn’t make any sense.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

So what you’re saying still doesn’t make any sense.

Sorry, I can't make it any clearer. If all of these assumed factors are in play, which I don't think they are, mind you, then what I said has to logically hold true. 

My opinion is Frost is going to pick the guy that wins now. Not based on who he recruited. Not based on people's assumed potential. Not based on anything but performance. Then he'll do the same next year. When he says it's day by day, I believe him. 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Sorry, I can't make it any clearer. If all of these assumed factors are in play, which I don't think they are, mind you, then what I said has to logically hold true. 

My opinion is Frost is going to pick the guy that wins now. Not based on who he recruited. Not based on people's assumed potential. Not based on anything but performance. Then he'll do the same next year. When he says it's day by day, I believe him. 

All of this debate is given that it's a tie, and I believe Frost that it's a tie. In the case of a tie, Martinez has the advantage if he has a higher ceiling, and that's up to Frost and Verduzco to decide but I think he probably does because it means he's tied even though he has less college football experience than Gebbia.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, brophog said:

The basis is that Martinez has innate advintages, namely being hand picked and having a higher ceiling. If those are true factors, then the result that he is really behind must be also true if this remains a close decision. Gebbia's performance = Martinez's performance + advantages.

Ah, now I understand the disconnect. I think the critical flaw in this discussion is you're misunderstanding what I and others are saying, or it's not being explained clearly enough. Or both.

I'll try to be more clear: from my standpoint, this is a discussion of tangible and intangible variables. If, after all practices and scrimmages, the players are relatively similar in offensive command and efficiency, I believe the tiebreaker will be intangible elements like potential. I think those intangible elements favor Martinez moreso than they do Gebbia.

And, since both players appear to be performing one over the other day to day, it stands to reason that their efficiencies are pretty similar right now. If that continues to be the case, again, I think the intangible factors like AM being hand picked, and having a perceived higher ceiling, benefit AM more than they do TG.

• Plus1 1