Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

Or it could mean that they want guys competing up to and until it’s announced. Compete everyday. 

Since they are both young and in a new system with a new staff, make them compete. No one is safe; and it lends itself to having 2 guys prepared in case of injury or poor play. 

Compete everyday. No reason to shut  it down and name a starter if they are competing and getting better simply because they both are getting better battling for the spot. 

My  personal feeling is...neither have proven himself to be absolute clear cut favorite, so just keep letting the iron sharpen iron. 

10 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Frost has said he wants a good decision maker and if the qb only has to run 8 times a game then Gebbia sounds like our best bet.

8 times sounds like a small number, but for perspective, Tommie Frazier ran the ball 9.8 times per game. Taylor Martinez ran 13.3 times per game. I don't think Frost wants to run it as much as Martinez did, but having a home run threat at QB has a big effect on the defense and helps with the passing game and also the running game for the running backs.

Having Milton able to scramble and save drives seemed like a big deal in the games I watched last year. The Auburn game was a good example.

I don't think Gebbia can run it as well as Milton, but maybe he doesn't have to. I don't know.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Ah, now I understand the disconnect. I think the critical flaw in this discussion is you're misunderstanding what I and others are saying, or it's not being explained clearly enough. Or both.

I'll try to be more clear: from my standpoint, this is a discussion of tangible and intangible variables. If, after all practices and scrimmages, the players are relatively similar in offensive command and efficiency, I believe the tiebreaker will be intangible elements like potential. I think those intangible elements favor Martinez moreso than they do Gebbia.

And, since both players appear to be performing one over the other day to day, it stands to reason that their efficiencies are pretty similar right now. If that continues to be the case, again, I think the intangible factors like AM being hand picked, and having a perceived higher ceiling, benefit AM more than they do TG.

What you're suggesting is that coaches don't take into account intangibles until some later date. Why? The tangibles and intangibles always exist, so if Martinez = Gebbia for winning the spot (aka Martinex tangibles + intangibles = Gebbia tangibles + intangibles) and Martinez intangibles > Gebbia intangibles, then it must be true that Gebbia tangibles > Martinez tangibles. That's what @brophog is arguing (I'm pretty sure).

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Vince R. said:

An old friend of mine had a white Geo Metro, and we referred to it as the "tea cup". 

Haha, I called mine the exotic. It had a 3 cylinder, 1000 cc engine, complete with vinyl seats, manual transmission, no power brakes or steering, and of course manual windows. It took all my will power not to paint flames on it.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What you're suggesting is that coaches don't take into account intangibles until some later date. Why? The tangibles and intangibles always exist, so if Martinez = Gebbia for winning the spot (aka Martinex tangibles + intangibles = Gebbia tangibles + intangibles) and Martinez intangibles > Gebbia intangibles, then it must be true that Gebbia tangibles > Martinez tangibles. That's what @brophog is arguing (I'm pretty sure).

Where is the gebbia is too skinny guy in this conversations? 

7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The intangibles are a lot more subjective, so I would think through this point in time you would base everything off performance. Then if, one week from Akron, it’s still a tie, you start thinking of the subjective things to tip the scales, because you have to decide.

20 hours ago, Landlord said:

What do y'all suppose the chances of both quarterbacks graduating here are?

If Gebbia doesn't start or loses his starting spot at some point in time this season, I don't see him being on the roster next year.  If Gebbia is the starter throughout the entire season and plays well, I'd say there is roughly a 20% chance both graduate here.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I can't be any more explicit than the following sentence: if their tangible efficiencies are relatively equal throughout the process, I think Martinez' intangibles are better than Gebbia's and may be the deciding factor. Hence, back to my original statement, I think this scenario will result in AM winning the job.

I guess I don't see what's so perplexing about this viewpoint. Perhaps I relied too heavily on context clues. Maybe I'm not explaining it well, either. I'm open to that possibility. It felt fairly straightforward to me.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can't be any more explicit than the following sentence: if their tangible efficiencies are relatively equal throughout the process, I think Martinez' intangibles are better than Gebbia's and may be the deciding factor. Hence, back to my original statement, I think this scenario will result in AM winning the job.

I guess I don't see what's so perplexing about this viewpoint. Perhaps I relied too heavily on context clues. Maybe I'm not explaining it well, either. I'm open to that possibility. It felt fairly straightforward to me.

But what they are arguing is why would the coaches only be evaluating tangibles? Wouldn't they be evaluating everything including the intangibles? Why would they leave that out of the evaluation process? Why would they wait to factor the intangibles in? If they are even now, I would imagine its more like RedDenver is describing. With everything in play they are equal not they are equal but there is a different deciding factor we will judge them on.

There's something to be said for being a "gamer" as well, and at this point we dont know if either of them have that attribute.  TG could come out and just up his game against live competition and AM could just be servicable, or vice versa.  We won't really have the whole picture until we leave Ann Arbor, IMO.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

If Gebbia doesn't start or loses his starting spot at some point in time this season, I don't see him being on the roster next year.  If Gebbia is the starter throughout the entire season and plays well, I'd say there is roughly a 20% chance both graduate here.

Well I think if we continue to get top-rated QBs this scenario will always occur.  In the past we have had such a bare cupboard that the QBs behind the starter would not have many other Power 5 options to go to.  If we fast forward a couple years and Smothers won the starting spot over McCaffrey after Martinez/Gebbia graduated, the guy that was not selected may choose to go elsewhere, or he may decide being a Husker is most important even if he doesn't want to play.  Look at USC at the turn of the century where Matt Cassel (who made it to the NFL) never started a game and was always behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.  I think Frost's vision is to have a full cupboard of top quality QBs that lead the team at any time and that have the skills to go to the next level.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

There's something to be said for being a "gamer" as well, and at this point we dont know if either of them have that attribute.  TG could come out and just up his game against live competition and AM could just be servicable, or vice versa.  We won't really have the whole picture until we leave Ann Arbor, IMO.  

I mentioned this yesterday too, and this would be the benefit of letting both guys get significant playing time the first couple games to see if one is able to turn it up a notch in live competition.  If we think back to the Spring game Martinez showed the quality of turning it up a notch in front of all the fans.

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I mentioned this yesterday too, and this would be the benefit of letting both guys get significant playing time the first couple games to see if one is able to turn it up a notch in live competition.  If we think back to the Spring game Martinez showed the quality of turning it up a notch in front of all the fans.

I say start with Gebbia, knowing he doesnt have a redshirt left to burn, but get Martinez in the game in 2 of the first 3.  If he doesnt have that spark, use him as a backup and try to limit him to the 4 game rule.  If he does, play them both for the entirety of the year until someone separates and then assess things.  

4 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

I say start with Gebbia, knowing he doesnt have a redshirt left to burn, but get Martinez in the game in 2 of the first 3.  If he doesnt have that spark, use him as a backup and try to limit him to the 4 game rule.  If he does, play them both for the entirety of the year until someone separates and then assess things.  

If its truly that close, I would let both have split 1st and 3rd and 2nd and 4th quarters with the full first string offense against Akron and the first half against Colorado and then make a decision as playing a P5 team should highlight more of the intangibles.

• Plus1 1