Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

1 hour ago, Crazyhole said:

There's something to be said for being a "gamer" as well, and at this point we dont know if either of them have that attribute.  TG could come out and just up his game against live competition and AM could just be servicable, or vice versa.  We won't really have the whole picture until we leave Ann Arbor, IMO.  

And some guys do great at QB in games when their is no pressure, and fall apart when the D is pressuring them. In the best case scenario, our new QBs will not face any heavy pressure until Michigan.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

But what they are arguing is why would the coaches only be evaluating tangibles?

So far as I can tell, nobody is arguing that.

Is it really that outlandish for someone to think that Martinez' intangibles are better than Gebbia's, and that if they end up playing relatively equal on the practice field, that Martinez' intangibles could help him win moreso than Gebbia's? I've never once said they're mutually exclusive variables. However, it does stand to reason that the players are largely being judged on their tangible abilities moreso than intangibles early in camp. I've never heard a coach say something like 'Yeah, Martinez had the better day today in practice because he's got a lot of potential as ScoFro's hand-picked QB.'

I'll amend my argument if it will appease the audience: I think Martinez has a higher ceiling than Gebbia and it will be the deciding factor in a tight QB battle.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:05 PM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I think this on both sides of the ball going forward looks like the plan right? If we are gonna run uptempo we are gonna need to have subs at most positions that can play real minutes. I feel like this is where Frost can gain the advantage over the big dogs that we can get close to but will probably never top in overall recruiting. The ability to develop a lot of good players, play with tempo, and just keep throwing bodies at them.   

Agree here - looking forward to see how "hockey" on grass compares to the TB era of "basketball" on grass.  I know this version of NU football has yet to play a down of real football - it just seems that SF has a brilliant vision for what is going to work.  Guessing he has dreamed many times about taking football from both coast and merging that into mid-west football (power style)

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

There's something to be said for being a "gamer" as well, and at this point we dont know if either of them have that attribute.  TG could come out and just up his game against live competition and AM could just be servicable, or vice versa.  We won't really have the whole picture until we leave Ann Arbor, IMO.  

So true. No scrimmage or practice can every completely mimic a real game. Gebbia at least knows what it feels like being in the stadium during a real game and living under the Lincoln microscope 

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

So far as I can tell, nobody is arguing that.

Is it really that outlandish for someone to think that Martinez' intangibles are better than Gebbia's, and that if they end up playing relatively equal on the practice field, that Martinez' intangibles could help him win moreso than Gebbia's? I've never once said they're mutually exclusive variables. However, it does stand to reason that the players are largely being judged on their tangible abilities moreso than intangibles early in camp. I've never heard a coach say something like 'Yeah, Martinez had the better day today in practice because he's got a lot of potential as ScoFro's hand-picked QB.'

I'll amend my argument if it will appease the audience: I think Martinez has a higher ceiling than Gebbia and it will be the deciding factor in a tight QB battle.

So if they are equal in performance and Martinez has more upside, then why is the race tied and Martinez hasn't been named? That's the other side of the argument you're making.

You might be right that Martinez's higher ceiling wins him the job. But since we don't have any indication that the job has been won and I agree that Martinez appears to have more upside on paper, then that suggests Gebbia is outplaying Martinez or in some way leading in other areas such that Martinez hasn't secured the job yet.

Of course, the coaches may have already selected the starter and we just don't know yet. It's all just idle speculation until we get more concrete evidence/statements.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

So if they are equal in performance and Martinez has more upside, then why is the race tied and Martinez hasn't been named? That's the other side of the argument you're making.

You might be right that Martinez's higher ceiling wins him the job. But since we don't have any indication that the job has been won and I agree that Martinez appears to have more upside on paper, then that suggests Gebbia is outplaying Martinez or in some way leading in other areas such that Martinez hasn't secured the job yet.

Of course, the coaches may have already selected the starter and we just don't know yet. It's all just idle speculation until we get more concrete evidence/statements.

If they really are tied, and Martinez has more upside, it suggests they're giving both players the chance to break the tie when it comes to performance.

45 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If they really are tied, and Martinez has more upside, it suggests they're giving both players the chance to break the tie when it comes to performance.

You're looking at it as if the QB's are tied because the coaches don't know Martinez has more upside, and then one day the coaches wake up and realize, "Hey, they aren't really tied because AM has more upside!" Either the QB's are tied, which includes all factors, or they aren't tied.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're looking at it as if the QB's are tied because the coaches don't know Martinez has more upside, and then one day the coaches wake up and realize, "Hey, they aren't really tied because AM has more upside!" Either the QB's are tied, which includes all factors, or they aren't tied.

That isn't the case at all. I'm saying we have to have a starting QB, the QBs are tied right now in measurable performance, and if they're still tied when they have to make the decision, they will consider upside as one of the factors. But it's a secondary factor to measurable performance. Performance trumps all. If you have a QB who's ahead in performance, potential should be an afterthought that should never push the worse performing QB into a tie. That would make no sense.

If they were "tied" because Gebbia was performing slightly better but Martinez has more potential, ... no, that just doesn't make sense.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That isn't the case at all. I'm saying we have to have a starting QB, the QBs are tied right now in measurable performance, and if they're still tied when they have to make the decision, they will consider upside as one of the factors. But it's a secondary factor to measurable performance. Performance trumps all. If you have a QB who's ahead in performance, potential should be an afterthought that should never push the worse performing QB into a tie. That would make no sense.

If they were "tied" because Gebbia was performing slightly better but Martinez has more potential, ... no, that just doesn't make sense.

Ok, imagine this scenario: Gebbia and Martinez are performing equally but Martinez has more upside. Then Martinez is going to start, so there's no tie for the starting job.

Now imagine this scenario: Gebbia is performing slightly ahead but Martinez has more upside. Who starts is still undecided because Martinez's greater upside means he could still catch up to and surpass Gebbia.

(And of course, the usually caveats that we're reading WAY too much into the little that we've heard.)

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Ok, imagine this scenario: Gebbia and Martinez are performing equally but Martinez has more upside. Then Martinez is going to start, so there's no tie for the starting job.

Then I think the coaches would say it's a tie right now, because fall camp isn't over and upside isn't relevant until they've given both QBs time to try to pull ahead in performance.

• Plus1 1