Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

4 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Does Martinez even have more upside? Right now it appears the only thing he's demonstrably better is his athleticism. 

Maybe. I would think most people, including coaches, would think the guy who’s had the least experience has the most potential for improvement.

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe. I would think most people, including coaches, would think the guy who’s had the least experience has the most potential for improvement.

Especially since he is a true freshman, magnify that even more because he hasn’t played football for over a year due to injury. That lends me to believe he will increase exponentially 

10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

So if they are equal in performance and Martinez has more upside, then why is the race tied and Martinez hasn't been named? That's the other side of the argument you're making.

Personally, I don't think I'm making that argument. I think that was an assumption derived from the way I initially phrased my argument, which is partially my fault.

But, I will echo what @Moiraine is saying. Ultimately, on-field performance is the first deciding factor when determining a depth chart. Potential is a secondary factor - a tiebreaker, so to speak, if all other key performance indicators are similar.

And again, as Moiraine accurately states, the idea that they're tied because Gebbia is performing better on the field but Martinez has higher potential... doesn't make any sense at all.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

To be fair. 

Coaching HS is very different than Div 1 college. 

Not in what he is talking about.  I've coached for a long time as well in multiple sports.  If I were a betting man, I'd say the coaches can see the higher ceiling on Martinez but Gebbia has been ahead for awhile.  They are hoping that everything clicks for Martinez, but are planning on starting Gebbia unless that "click" happens.

They don't want to announce that because with a redshirt still available it would be easy for Adrian to transfer, and you don't want to lose Martinez.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Not in what he is talking about.  I've coached for a long time as well in multiple sports.  If I were a betting man, I'd say the coaches can see the higher ceiling on Martinez but Gebbia has been ahead for awhile.  They are hoping that everything clicks for Martinez, but are planning on starting Gebbia unless that "click" happens.

They don't want to announce that because with a redshirt still available it would be easy for Adrian to transfer, and you don't want to lose Martinez.

So, they don’t know who is going to start because they don’t know when it’s going to click for Martinez. 

It’s rare that a coach doesn’t know who would start if the game were today. But, the game isn’t today. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/17/2018 at 10:26 PM, Moiraine said:

All of this debate is given that it's a tie, and I believe Frost that it's a tie. In the case of a tie, Martinez has the advantage if he has a higher ceiling, and that's up to Frost and Verduzco to decide but I think he probably does because it means he's tied even though he has less college football experience than Gebbia.

This could be looked at also as  - Gebbia had to endure 1 year of MR so maybe he is the guy that has started behind......

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Yep!

They already know who they WANT to start...know they need to see that moment that sort of justifies, not so much to the staff but to the team.  

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

@teachercd Or maybe the staff doesn't play favorites like some here clearly do, and just want the best player to start, whoever it might be? :dunno

Yeah, I don't think they play favorites.  I really don't think most coaches do but I think what happens is people are stubborn so once they think Player X is Da-Man...it is really hard for them to change their mind.  

On 8/19/2018 at 6:08 PM, Toe said:

@teachercd Or maybe the staff doesn't play favorites like some here clearly do, and just want the best player to start, whoever it might be? :dunno

On 8/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, teachercd said:

Yeah, I don't think they play favorites.  I really don't think most coaches do but I think what happens is people are stubborn so once they think Player X is Da-Man...it is really hard for them to change their mind.  

It is not about playing favorites, its about understanding your players and most importantly understanding the game.  This happens a lot in basketball, I know which player is more talented.  That is what I mean by ceiling.  I have started a player that is BARELY better right now for part of the season and then made the lineup change when that switch goes on for the more talented player.  Obviously the more talented player is usually a freshmen or a sophomore that hasn't quite put it all together yet.  However, I know when they do they will be a MUCH better player.