Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

Just now, Moiraine said:

We had a little debate on whether it meant Martinez was too slow or the coaches were pushing him harder than the others ‘cause he’s the guy. 

My thought when I read that was that Martinez was going too slow but I'd have to go back and read more context to see if that's accurate.

I know people hate to think about this possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me to SF go with a two-headed monster.  It would make things a lot tougher for defensive coordinators we face.  Just sayin.. 

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

I know people hate to think about this possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me to SF go with a two-headed monster.  It would make things a lot tougher for defensive coordinators we face.  Just sayin.. 

Except Frost has said himself he doesn't really want to do that past a game or so.

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I edited it probably at the same time you posted.

Honestly with the tiny bit of info I can see why people could take it either way. But my theory (and yes I’m doing a lot of reading into few words) is they are specifically pushing Martinez to be more efficient because maybe it’s the one major obstacle that’s left for him to be the starter.

I hope they are "pushing" all of the QBs to improve on their weaknesses and their strengths.  That would be coaching and development.  I would hope they don't specifically pick one QB and only worry about him.

3 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

I hope they are "pushing" all of the QBs to improve on their weaknesses and their strengths.  That would be coaching and development.  I would hope they don't specifically pick one QB and only worry about him.

They’ve clearly been doing that, but this comment was about a practice this week. We are 2 weeks from game day. At some point you start to focus more on the guys who are starting, especially at a position that doesn’t normally rotate. And that’s exactly what they’re doing with Bunch; he’s getting less reps now and most assuredly less attention overall.

This coaching staff seems to be way better at making the whole team better regardless of whether they’re starters, but they are still going to focus more on the best players the closer it gets to the first game.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

One thing is for this to work I don't think you need 22 guys. 6-8 extra defenders would be enough to start using this strategy.

Yep.  And there is no doubt that we'll be doing it to a pretty decent extent right from the start.

I'd say we can fully rotate the DL, have at least one ILB and 1-2 OLBs plus at least two safeties that they feel comfortable rolling out there off the bench.  The only question would be corner right now.

• Plus1 1

Including taking over a team on NCAA Football, or in the real game of college football, I have yet to see the safe QB who starts game 1 pay off. If someone could please post examples I would love to see it because I know I can pull data suggesting the opposite. You don't want to throw AM to the wolves, but we have a good 3 game stretch before @ Michigan to get him prepared. The mistakes will come, but I think in the long run he is just a way better payoff. 

24 minutes ago, NUance said:

To me the primary benefit of letting both get meaningful play early in the season is that you see their intangibles and how they truly stack up in a pressure situation.  If they are that close now, one may end up being more of a "gamer" than the other, and it's hard to even tell that in a scrimmage when you are playing against your defense.  

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  And there is no doubt that we'll be doing it to a pretty decent extent right from the start.

I'd say we can fully rotate the DL, have at least one ILB and 1-2 OLBs plus at least two safeties that they feel comfortable rolling out there off the bench.  The only question would be corner right now.

I like it because not only do you keep guys fresh but it makes the offense work a little harder when you have players with different tendencies coming in and out often.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think this on both sides of the ball going forward looks like the plan right? If we are gonna run uptempo we are gonna need to have subs at most positions that can play real minutes. I feel like this is where Frost can gain the advantage over the big dogs that we can get close to but will probably never top in overall recruiting. The ability to develop a lot of good players, play with tempo, and just keep throwing bodies at them.