Post-Practice Presser - August 17

Mavric

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking as well.  It sure seems like Martinez has the higher ceiling.  So if they're really that close you'd think you'd go with the guy with the higher ceiling.

The tricky part is it seems like they're pretty equal on the whole but not equal at all levels.  Gebbia seems to be better in the passing game while Martinez can make explosive plays with his feet.  So part of it is also weighting those two area depending on how much of a disparity there is in both plus how important each is to the desired game plan.

With the talk of efficiency lately, it kind of make me think that Gebbia is the "safer" play right now so may be the #1 guy to start out.

I think Gebbia would get the start if the game was tomorrow. Last year Milton averaged 30.3 passes per game and 8.1 rushes. To me that would mean that you definitely want to start the better passer, especially if you feel he is at least adequate in the run game. The Qb's job is to run the offense and to distribute the ball. We as Nebraska fans sometimes get too focused on the QB's running ability and get nostalgic with thoughts of Frost, Fraizer, Crouch and all the other great running QB's we had in the past. The game has changed since our heyday and the passing game is much more prevalent. It will be an interesting fall and whoever ends up getting the nod I trust will truly give us our best chance to win. September 1st can't come fast enough!

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Except Frost has said himself he doesn't really want to do that past a game or so.

He doesnt really want to. But it doesnt mean he wont if things evolve tothe point that its the better option for the team. I dont think Urban Meyer intended to have Chris Leak and Tim Tebow splitting time. But it worked out pretty well for them. 

I think if anything in my opinion its a good position to be in. So say we go to wisconsin and martinez is having an off day or vica versa. We have another competent guy who can come in and maybe spark the team. 

It seems in the last 10 years we have had no one behind our #1 guy so no matter how bad they were playing we would never bench them because #2 was so bad. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

He doesnt really want to. But it doesnt mean he wont if things evolve tothe point that its the better option for the team. I dont think Urban Meyer intended to have Chris Leak and Tim Tebow splitting time. But it worked out pretty well for them. 

I think if anything in my opinion its a good position to be in. So say we go to wisconsin and martinez is having an off day or vica versa. We have another competent guy who can come in and maybe spark the team. 

It seems in the last 10 years we have had no one behind our #1 guy so no matter how bad they were playing we would never bench them because #2 was so bad. 

Tebow played very situationally, not really the same scenario. Its good we will have a solid back up but I don't see Frost playing 2 qbs past week 1 unless there is an injury or a blowout, just my opinion. If you take out a guy who is struggling you can hurt their confidence goinv forward. It can work sometimes but almost every successful team settles on one guy at QB

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

It can work sometimes but almost every successful team settles on one guy at QB

You are correct. But swapping out a struggling QB worked out very well for Alabama last year in the title game.

I dont think you pull a guy after 1 pick or anything like that. But a thought out decision to pull him. Also it depends how the staff handles it. Set him aside and say look its an off day- your still the starter bla bla bla. I think this staff would handle it well. 

• Plus1 1

Another thing I think still works in Gebbia's favor is that Frost isn't necessarily looking for an explosive home run threat as much as he's looking for an athletic savvy general. Marcus Mariota, Vernon Adams, and McKenzie Milton weren't the most explosive guys in the world, even though the former two were legitimate dual threats. At least the offenses weren't designed in that way. They were still very much passers first. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Another thing I think still works in Gebbia's favor is that Frost isn't necessarily looking for an explosive home run threat as much as he's looking for an athletic savvy general. Marcus Mariota, Vernon Adams, and McKenzie Milton weren't the most explosive guys in the world, even though the former two were legitimate dual threats. At least the offenses weren't designed in that way. They were still very much passers first. 

I agree with everything but Mariota. He was very explosive. But I agree thats not why he was the starter. He started because what was going on between both ears not his feet. His speed was a luxury.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree with everything but Mariota. He was very explosive. But I agree thats not why he was the starter. He started because what was going on between both ears not his feet. His speed was a luxury.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say he wasn't an explosive athlete, but the offense wasn't designed in the same way that our T-Mart offenses were, or say, Louisville with Lamar Jackson. Mariota only averaged 7-10 runs a game usually, and I doubt all of those were specifically designed plays. 

47 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I think this on both sides of the ball going forward looks like the plan right? If we are gonna run uptempo we are gonna need to have subs at most positions that can play real minutes. I feel like this is where Frost can gain the advantage over the big dogs that we can get close to but will probably never top in overall recruiting. The ability to develop a lot of good players, play with tempo, and just keep throwing bodies at them.   

I'm sure we'll see it to some extent on offense.  Just not as much as the defense.

I think we'll see a bunch of WRs and RBs.  Maybe a little bit at QB not not much.  And I don't know how many OLs they'll end up rotating.  I think they'd like to rotate more but I'm not sure there are more than 6-7 right now that they'll put out there.

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It will be interesting to see if he goes with a kid that he wouldn't of even recruited, or the one who he said was the best fit for his offense in the country...

It is an interesting dynamic for sure. I just hope he doesnt let any pressure sway him in making the right choice. 

Also just because Martinez may have been the top high school quarterback in the country to run this offense. Doesnt mean he is ready as a true freshman. When he made that comment it didnt mean he was going to be the guy as a true freshman

• Plus1 1

Kinda has the feeling the staff wants Martinez to take control but he isn't.  Gebbia is the guy who is gonna win you games by not losing them with tons of mistakes.  Luckily for Gebbia the QB run game in this offense is based off opportunity not the super running ability of the Qb.  From the few games I caught last year the Qb runs where mostly at times when they were set up with other plays.  

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Kinda has the feeling the staff wants Martinez to take control but he isn't.  Gebbia is the guy who is gonna win you games by not losing them with tons of mistakes.  Luckily for Gebbia the QB run game in this offense is based off opportunity not the super running ability of the Qb.  From the few games I caught last year the Qb runs where mostly at times when they were set up with other plays.  

This is my feeling.  Basically the "higher ceiling" theory but until he puts it together a little bit more Gebbia is the better option.

• Plus1 1