Trump’s Shocking Approval with African Americans

Here's a suggestion to all the people that don't feel welcome here.  (notice I haven't put on a label of "liberal" or "conservative")

If you are telling a story that has happened to you or a loved one that has caused you to hold a belief, preface your story by telling the board that is is anecdotal and admit that it may not be true "across the population".  Don't be shy about holding a viewpoint because of personal experiences.  Just be willing to admit that they are "personal".  And then be open to information that may show how that situation isn't really the norm.

If you claim a stance based on statistical information, please back it up with articles, surveys, or some type of data.  If you do, be prepared to openly discuss the validity of your links and/or information.  There will be back and forth, that's a given, get used to it.  But, worst case scenario, you may find your data is flawed.  Best case: you might show someone theirs is flawed.  Most likely: people will "agree to disagree".

I don't delve to deep into these "policy discussions" but it really isn't that hard to figure out how to have a discussion on this message board.  Bottom line: if you make a statement to be understood as "fact", be prepared to show it and discuss it respectfully.  Pretty simple.

• Plus1 7

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Wrong. "Easily nixed" arguments are so because they aren't backed up by facts. Wrong. Possibly.

I do not trust most polls, especially after the last election, but the original poster provided a poll that showed improvement in his approval, as did the NAACP (slight and in context to a biased poll). If the Rasmussen poll gave him an 19 percent approval this time last year, he clearly is gaining some AA votes. His approval is abysmal, but it's not worse than a year ago. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I do not trust most polls, especially after the last election, but the original poster provided a poll that showed improvement in his approval, as did the NAACP (slight and in context to a biased poll). If the Rasmussen poll gave him an 19 percent approval this time last year, he clearly is gaining some AA votes. His approval is abysmal, but it's not worse than a year ago. 

I think it's the "libruls are s#!tting themselves" tone that's drawn the ire of those who have replied. The numbers up slightly, but they couldn't get any lower and I'm sure they'll go right back down once he's running against someone. Anyone.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

So you would agree the word "shocking" may be overdone?  Much like the "liberal" posters here?

Sounds kind of like what has been said. 

FFS: this isn't hard.  Quit being so sensitive and join the Q&A!!!  :cheers

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I think it's the "libruls are s#!tting themselves" tone that's drawn the ire of those who have replied. The numbers up slightly, but they couldn't get any lower and I'm sure they'll go right back down once he's running against someone. Anyone.

That’s far from clear. Black unemployment is down, household wages are up, and the economic boom is benefiting black Americans just like everyone else. Any Democratic candidate will bring positives and negatives to the race. So it’s hard to say whether or how the Democrats settling on a candidate will affect Trump’s numbers.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That's fair. I've only skimmed the replies but I think the argument is that support among Blacks hasn't increased significantly, nor is the poll alarming, which was the claim.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

If the Rasmussen poll gave him an 19 percent approval this time last year, he clearly is gaining some AA votes. His approval is abysmal, but it's not worse than a year ago. 

Here's the funny thing. Nobody has argued that he is gaining AA "votes"/approval rating, and most have acknowledged that he very clearly is. So, what the hell is your argument exactly? We've already established all of this as factually true.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Are you arguing that voters are educated? I'm sure not. Would black voters who think Trump is racist vote for him anyway? I doubt many would. But if they approve of him and vote for him, does it matter if they think he's racist?

No, I'm not saying voters are educated, in fact far too many are disgracefully uneducated when it comes to who and what they vote for. 

And I agree, it doesn't matter if they think he's racist.   His approval is growing, based on all the polls, within that ethnicity.   The question that is not answered from the polls I've seen is 'why'?  It could be from something he's done, or it could be something as stupid and trivial as Kanye supporting him.

Lastly, it doesn't dispel the belief that he's not racist, while I agree it's hard to make sense why a person would support a racist, but then the concern of the uneducated voter comes into mind and do they really understand and know the things trump has done to lead many to believe he is racist.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

His numbers among black voters are better...perhaps far better...than in 2016 when he won. I guarantee you that has the DNC's attention.

I explicitly stated this is something democrats should 'take note of.' We're saying roughly the same thing here.

My contention comes down to the seriousness and implications of it. Despite the increase, he's polling in largely the same ball park and he's not being polled against another candidate. Anything more than that is political posturing. So much could change between now and 2020, for better or for worse.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That’s far from clear. Black unemployment is down, household wages are up, and the economic boom is benefiting black Americans just like everyone else. Any Democratic candidate will bring positives and negatives to the race. So it’s hard to say whether or how the Democrats settling on a candidate will affect Trump’s numbers.

Let's dispense with the talking points, shall we?

Black unemployment is down, indeed. It's following the same trend it has been since 2009. People tossing around "lowest unemployment ever!" and similar statements fail to acknowledge Trump started on the two yard line.

Real wages are not up. Inflation is snuffing out any gains employees are taking home.

In short, yeah. The economy is doing well now. But eventually the inadequacies of Republican fiscal policies will catch up with him and the same people will wind up losing that have been losing under these policies for decades. The question is how long it will take.

• Plus1 2
On 8/21/2018 at 9:18 AM, Clifford Franklin said:

Let's dispense with the talking points, shall we?

Black unemployment is down, indeed. It's following the same trend it has been since 2009. People tossing around "lowest unemployment ever!" and similar statements fail to acknowledge Trump started on the two yard line.

Real wages are not up. Inflation is snuffing out any gains employees are taking home.

In short, yeah. The economy is doing well now. But eventually the inadequacies of Republican fiscal policies will catch up with him and the same people will wind up losing that have been losing under these policies for decades. The question is how long it will take.

Actual economists beg to differ. Did you see Ernie Goss’ latest?

• Plus1 1