Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Whether it be Callahan, Bo, or Riley, I never understood the infatuation with the buyout $$$.

Because essentially crappy coaches are getting paid millions in buyout for failing at their job. That money could be used on facilities or if we have extra money it could go to the education sector etc etc. 

that money comes from fans buying tickets and supporting the program in other ways. 

If your normal guy gets fired for doing a bad job you don’t get paid millions 

so if he was not acting in the best interest of the program then that should or could be a violation 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Because essentially crappy coaches are getting paid millions in buyout for failing at their job. That money could be used on facilities or if we have extra money it could go to the education sector etc etc. 

that money comes from fans buying tickets and supporting the program in other ways. 

so if he was not acting in the best interest of the program then that should or could be a violation 

Well maybe if our previous AD didn't fire a coach after giving him a contract extension and then secretly extending his buddies contract for a few years, who later got fired, we wouldn't be in this predicament. However, a contract is a contract. You can't have coaches on 1 year deals no matter who they are unless you are willing to let them leave. 

Also, you are not the one paying the bills so who cares. We have plenty of money and while it may be frustrating to see other coaches get paid millions off a buyout don't let that impede on the excitement for the future. It is Frosts time at Nebraska and now we watch a well-oiled machine return to its former glory. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Agreed - I’d like to see if this violates any provisions of his contract that would allow a for cause firing. 

28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The Athletic Department makes more money than it knows what to do with. Paying bad coaches buyouts is the price of doing bad business, and NU football hasn’t been great business the past 15 years. Yes, I understand it’s frustrating to pay buyouts, but it just gets old to see all the “I hope we can use this to go after his buyout” posts. This is coming from one of Riley’s biggest detractors at NU. Riley knew he was getting fired, what good did it to keep recruiting kids to NU? 

8 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The athletic department actually does provided money to university for academic purposes. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Agreed - I’d like to see if this violates any provisions of his contract that would allow a for cause firing. 

10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

How many times do we have to have this conversation? He was given a contract by the university, not the other way around. He stunk, he was fired and he is owed money in the terms of the contract.   Same as thousands of other athletic contracts.  It's a risk/reward business.

As for Bookie, he was being honest with the kid, he knew it was over. Exactly how I would expect a man who cared about a kid to act, by telling him the truth. Get over it.

19 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Would you rather have Bookie and Riley or Frost and everything he will bring to the program?  I choose the latter and believe most of Husker Nation does as well. 

This right here.

• Plus1 4

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Riley knew he was getting fired, what good did it to keep recruiting kids to NU? 

and that makes it sound worse than it probably was. He couldn't tell Bookie he was being fired, but he didn't want to lie to him because he gave a s#!t about him. That's how I see it, anyway. He also didn't know if Frost would be hired (Frost didn't know either at the time), or allude to the program being in good hands or anything like that.

58 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Would you rather have Bookie and Riley or Frost and everything he will bring to the program?  I choose the latter and believe most of Husker Nation does as well. 

I would rather have Bookie AND Frost. Riley was getting fired either way. We were not keeping Riley just because Bookie would have come.

2 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

The athletic department actually does provided money to university for academic purposes. 

Im sure the academic side would gladly accept an extra few million.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Athletic Department makes more money than it knows what to do with. Paying bad coaches buyouts is the price of doing bad business, and NU football hasn’t been great business the past 15 years. Yes, I understand it’s frustrating to pay buyouts, but it just gets old to see all the “I hope we can use this to go after his buyout” posts. This is coming from one of Riley’s biggest detractors at NU. Riley knew he was getting fired, what good did it to keep recruiting kids to NU? 

I am sure Riley's contract would include something in regards to fiduciary duties to uphold the best interests of the program is all i am saying. Its not my money- many of you are right. But it is someone's money. I am a right fighter- if its not right I think it should be fought for. If someone was doing an intentionally bad job because he didnt care because he knew he was getting fired that should have repercussions. Its easy to sit back and say well its not my money- who cares. But I just think its wrong to get paid if you were behaving like that.

• Plus1 2