Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

I understand looking out for the best interests of a recruit, but you have to balance that with the best interest of the school you coach for (even if you likely will lose your job soon).  Riley certainly should have said something positive about Nebraska, like if a coaching change occurs, give the new coach a chance.

• Plus1 2

I can only think of a few reasons that justify Riley’s advice.

1) Riley thought Oklahoma is a better school than Nebraska.

2) Oklahoma has a more stable coaching staff.

3) Oklahoma’s program is more established in terms of recent success.

Riley directly contributed to 2 & 3 and 1 is questionable.

I still want Riley back.  He was just so darned nice.  And if we had just given him another decade or so , instead of doing anything rash. What's a half dozen losses in the non conf. betwen friends? We can't rush these things, give the guy a chance.  He was exactly what we needed.  A nice guy.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I still want Riley back.  He was just so darned nice.  And if we had just given him another decade or so , instead of doing anything rash. What's a half dozen losses in the non conf. betwen friends? We can't rush these things, give the guy a chance.  He was exactly what we needed.  A nice guy.

Zoogs, is this you?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Dagerow said:

I understand looking out for the best interests of a recruit, but you have to balance that with the best interest of the school you coach for (even if you likely will lose your job soon).  Riley certainly should have said something positive about Nebraska, like if a coaching change occurs, give the new coach a chance.

He could have said, "Look there is a 100% chance that the new coach will be better than me".

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, husker98 said:

This quote seems deliberately taken out of context to cause a s**t storm of anger from Nebraska fans. 

On a personal level i wanna feel offended and all but i'm just too old to care.

Yes, agreed. I feel like someone is trying to get me angry. I just don't care. We Nebraska fans are notoriously easy to mess with because we take football so seriously. If it wasn't this, they'd be trotting out some other thing to rile up Husker Nation.