Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, sadly Mike Riley really believed that he hired the best staff he could.  At least Bo knew he didn't do that.

If you want sad you should go back and find the thread from when Riley announced his assistants being hired and see people tripping all over themselves to say how much of an upgrade we had at every single spot.

• Plus1 4

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you want sad you should go back and find the thread from when Riley announced his assistants being hired and see people tripping all over themselves to say how much of an upgrade we had at every single spot.

No thanks, after the first hour of disappointment I began the process of convincing myself it may workout.  I'm sure I made a bold prediction or two.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Redux said:

No thanks, after the first hour of disappointment I began the process of convincing myself it may workout.  I'm sure I made a bold prediction or two.

I think pretty much everyone had to google who Mike Riley was. Then we slowly tried to convince ourselves it was a steal hire, USC wanted him, Alabama wanted him. On and on and on. Then we convinced ourselves his 500 record was just because he didnt have the resources behind him. We all convinced ourselves it was an ok hire to cope with the fact we hired a loser and had to wait a few years before we could get someone new.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Redux said:

Unfortunately I knew exactly who he was and still played stupid.  I put on a happy face, but deep down, I haven't been excited for a Husker game in exactly 3 years after we let BYU knock us off on opening weekend.  My excitement just keeled the eff over.

I knew exactly who Riley was when he was hired, too.  I thought he might do well at a bigger school, but also did a lot of looking into what he did at Oregon State.  His first year at NU, he constantly found ways to lose games (starting with BYU), and that's who Riley was.  He is a mediocre coach who generally finds ways to lose games.  Some people thought he was good for NU, because he was a "nice guy" and he was a coach they could be "proud of".  It's great if your coach can be respected, but I am also proud of a "winning coach".

18 hours ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

I am being obtuse and bitter i admit.    I'll give some details.

As last season went on and the losses (and bad losses) mounted up it wasn't a surprise that talent jumped ship to schools that projected to have more wins, bowl games, and the same coaching staff.   

If it turns out that Bookie wanted to play 4 years for a coach who recruited him, play for a contender, play in bowl games, get to the NFL, etc... OU may have been a better choice for him. 

OU is in a different class of football program that NU was under MR and we all knew MR was going to be canned after the nauseating play from his team.

If Bookie wanted to go into a educational program that OU has a better program for, if he has family closer there, if he had a girlfriend further south of here, if he was offered something under the table from our lawless brothers to the south, if he has had a run in with a coach or trainer in his past that is on staff at NU and isn't comfortable around that person....I can see why MR suggested he go to OU.

The way it was presented it is easy to infer that MR directed his best commit(s) to other schools out of spite of his current team and employer.  I believe that MRs suggestion that Bookie go to OU, for whatever the reason, was truly better for Bookie and his needs. 

MR has enough integrity to want the best for the young men he tries to mentor, even if it isn't in his program.   So does Scott Frost I imagine. 

17 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Riley was right on one thing it was better for Bookie to go to OU than to play for HIM. Once Frost took over though , i think Bookie would have had a good career here.

This was my point.   Several players that were looking at NU were probably glad they went elsewhere when the MR "news" came out - wondering when the SF "news" came out if some wished they would have committed to the University.   Either way as with many other topics floating around - it's all OLD news and its time to focus on whats in front of us now. 

• Plus1 2

I don't know about you all but I bet with a few more years of experience Riley will be an awesome coach. So when Frost fizzles out in about year three maybe we can bring MR back and get this deal headed in the right direction once and for all.

Said no one ever. Well, maybe zoogs....

• Plus1 2

Go back and read the thread about Bookie.  He was leaving after the spring game.  He was done watching the CB's not play press.  No way he was staying with Diaco as the DC.  He cooled quickly on NU after the spring game.  I don't like Riley the coach, thought the only thing worse than hiring him, was his record and staff.  Bookie, having a relationship asked about the situation  Probably after we lost to NIU and Riley saw the writing on the wall.  No idea who the new coach would be. Either here at NU with unknown staff or OU....Riley said.  

IMHO, if one were to ask Bookie now and he was honest, he'd wish he'd stayed.  Frost and Co are onto something.  Bookie could've been a huge part of the turnaround.  He left.  Never played a down here.  Never did a thing for NU.  Even if Riley stayed, he wasn't coming here.  That was very evident. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think pretty much everyone had to google who Mike Riley was. Then we slowly tried to convince ourselves it was a steal hire, USC wanted him, Alabama wanted him. On and on and on. Then we convinced ourselves his 500 record was just because he didnt have the resources behind him. We all convinced ourselves it was an ok hire to cope with the fact we hired a loser and had to wait a few years before we could get someone new.

When some questioned mister .504, that's the answer that was said.....Great guy, super nice, can do more with less.  Never said genius coach, motivator etc........

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

IMHO, if one were to ask Bookie now and he was honest, he'd wish he'd stayed.  Frost and Co are onto something.  Bookie could've been a huge part of the turnaround.

I kinda doubt that. Oklahoma's last national championship was in 2000 and they were in the playoff last year. I can't think of a more ideal situation for someone who wants to play on a really good team and also be remembered for helping bring a team back to glory.

I happen to think Nebraska will be doing the same thing, but it might be further away and I'm trying to see this through Bookie's eyes.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I kinda doubt that. Oklahoma's last national championship was in 2000 and they were in the playoff last year. I can't think of a more ideal situation for someone who wants to play on a really good team and also be remembered for helping bring a team back to glory.

I happen to think Nebraska will be doing the same thing, but it might be further away and I'm trying to see this through Bookie's eyes.

He will in 3-4 years ;)