My theory on why Scott Frost is an extraordinary football mind

Much has been said about Scott Frost picking up offensive concepts from Bill Walsh (Stanford), Tom Osborne (some school on the Plains), and Chip Kelly (Oregon) and I believe that all of that is true. Playing QB made him look at all of those things from a play calling/scheme perspective. But honestly, the thing that I think makes Scott Frost an extraordinary football mind is the fact that he played safety in the NFL (which he then translated to successful defensive coaching work at Northern Iowa).

So many times a coach is thought of as being an "offensive mind" or a "defensive mind" but I believe that Frost is both. I think it is no coincidence that his offense is famous for "taking safeties out of the game" or "frustrating safeties".

Not to take anything away from Frost's offensive and defensive coordinators, but I don't feel like we will be losing our offensive (or defensive) scheme if our OC or DC gets poached to be a head coach somewhere in the future. I feel like Scott can plug in a capable coach and teach them HIS philosophy (and maybe learn something new from that guy's ideas, too).

Frost's offensive mind gets a ton of credit, but I think his days playing "defensive QB" were incredibly valuable in turning him into the coach he is today. The fact that a college QB could get drafted and play in the NFL on the other side of the ball also gives him a lot of "freeness of speech" in telling recruits (or members of the team) to trust him if he feels that their athleticism or body type fits at a different position than the one they played in High School.

• Plus1 5

29 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Much has been said about Scott Frost picking up offensive concepts from Bill Walsh (Stanford), Tom Osborne (some school on the Plains), and Chip Kelly (Oregon) and I believe that all of that is true. Playing QB made him look at all of those things from a play calling/scheme perspective. But honestly, the thing that I think makes Scott Frost an extraordinary football mind is the fact that he played safety in the NFL (which he then translated to successful defensive coaching work at Northern Iowa).

So many times a coach is thought of as being an "offensive mind" or a "defensive mind" but I believe that Frost is both. I think it is no coincidence that his offense is famous for "taking safeties out of the game" or "frustrating safeties".

Not to take anything away from Frost's offensive and defensive coordinators, but I don't feel like we will be losing our offensive (or defensive) scheme if our OC or DC gets poached to be a head coach somewhere in the future. I feel like Scott can plug in a capable coach and teach them HIS philosophy (and maybe learn something new from that guy's ideas, too).

Frost's offensive mind gets a ton of credit, but I think his days playing "defensive QB" were incredibly valuable in turning him into the coach he is today. The fact that a college QB could get drafted and play in the NFL on the other side of the ball also gives him a lot of "freeness of speech" in telling recruits (or members of the team) to trust him if he feels that their athleticism or body type fits at a different position than the one they played in High School.

Plus Frost calls the plays. A good play caller is like gold. We are fortunate now to have our head coach call the plays- much like osborne did. So if the OC leaves- our offense still keeps its gold asset. The play caller. 

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Plus Frost calls the plays. A good play caller is like gold. We are fortunate now to have our head coach call the plays- much like osborne did. So if the OC leaves- our offense still keeps its gold asset. The play caller. 

Just read an article on Saben. He loses DC and OC almost every year or so, and he just gets new ones, and tells them what he wants. I think Frost is going to be able to do the same thing, if need be. 

Once the recruiting gets back in the top 10-15, it will be easier to turn over control to any new coaches that he may have to bring in.

GBR!!!

20 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Just read an article on Saben. He loses DC and OC almost every year or so, and he just gets new ones, and tells them what he wants. I think Frost is going to be able to do the same thing, if need be. 

Once the recruiting gets back in the top 10-15, it will be easier to turn over control to any new coaches that he may have to bring in.

GBR!!!

Kirby Smart was DC for all of Saban’s Alabama championships, except the most recent. Just sayin’. He was DC at Alabama the past 8 years and AH/DB the year before that.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Kirby Smart was DC for all of Saban’s Alabama championships, except the most recent. Just sayin’. He was DC at Alabama the past 8 years and AH/DB the year before that.

Also I have to think if Lane Kiffin called the plays in the national championship game instead of steve sarkisian. Bama may win that game. It does matter.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Just going by what the article stated. But you are right on Smart

GBR!!!

I mean he has a vision and that is at least something we haven't had in awhile:  He said he wants to marry Oregon speed offense with Husker Power.  Could be the best thing since sliced bread.  Oh Yeah and he wants us to act like Husker again (kick ass.)  

Yeah I'd say a great leader for sure.  And I have no doubt about results.  I mean you put Bobby Flay in a stocked kitchen good stuff is coming out, right?