Curious about the media

I am I

Watching videos of the post practice pressers....

is there “a lot” of press at Nebraska?  If so, does anyone know if the new staff handled a lot of press at their former place? 

Does the national media have any beat writers or do they get their info from local guys? 

Id assume Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame etc have a big press following. Based on the population of Nebraska and the fact we don’t garner a spotlight right now, are we comparable to the other blue bloods? If not, how about schools like MSU, IOWA, UCLA, etc (kind of the mid tier schools). 

To to me it seems like there is a fair amount of press even tho we’ve been down for a while. 

Thanks. 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, I am I said:

is there “a lot” of press at Nebraska?  If so, does anyone know if the new staff handled a lot of press at their former place?

I've found it difficult to find many coach/player interviews from UCF in 2016 and 2017. I've gotten the impression that most/all of the video of the coaches (other than Frost) was filmed by and released by UCF.

43 minutes ago, I am I said:

is there “a lot” of press at Nebraska?

There is a ton. I'm no professional, but I've covered B1G Football Media Days as a journalist the last three years, and Nebraska has just as many outlets and reporters there as any other school, if not more than anyone else. The numbers, from my personal perception, of Nebraska media people are comparable to tOSU and nobody else there, which is saying something insane considering how small Lincoln is and how little population our state has. 

• Plus1 1

It might be due to the state's biggest sports team is the University of Nebraska's football team.

Ohio has at least two professional teams in both football and baseball that would be vying for attention at this time although the situation at tOSU is probably garnering a lot of attention.  Most other states also have many big sports teams, except for lowly Iowa. 

Also, Nebraska has only one state legislative body instead of two like all the other states, so there's less chance of scandal in politics (hahahahahahaha) getting media attention. :D   

But I'm just speculating.   :dunno

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

There is a ton. I'm no professional, but I've covered B1G Football Media Days as a journalist the last three years, and Nebraska has just as many outlets and reporters there as any other school, if not more than anyone else. The numbers, from my personal perception, of Nebraska media people are comparable to tOSU and nobody else there, which is saying something insane considering how small Lincoln is and how little population our state has. 

I know you do it for Reddit but can you wear your Husker gear or do you have to stay pretty neutral? 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, I am I said:

is there “a lot” of press at Nebraska?

An incredible amount. I can tell an interesting story to help put it in perspective.

When I worked at a TV station in Lincoln a few years ago, we had an outside firm come in to do some market research for us. They were a nationally accredited organization working in markets all over the country. When it came time to present their findings to us, part of the presentation included a list of categories our viewers valued most, ranked from most popular to least. The top three were: 1) Weather coverage 2) Crime 3) Nebraska football.

Only one other market in the entire country had a similar interests breakdown, in terms of the popular local sports team being one of the top three news categories.

Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. That's why 40 media members will show up for post-practice interviews.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, I am I said:

Watching videos of the post practice pressers....

Does the national media have any beat writers or do they get their info from local guys

Id assume Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame etc have a big press following. Based on the population of Nebraska and the fact we don’t garner a spotlight right now, are we comparable to the other blue bloods? If not, how about schools like MSU, IOWA, UCLA, etc (kind of the mid tier schools). 

To to me it seems like there is a fair amount of press even tho we’ve been down for a while. 

Thanks. 

To the bolded yes, quite a lot compared to our division schools and only exceeded by the more elite programs/ more prestigious programs out there. The staff handled it very well during UCF's run of success last year.

To the Italicized, The national media have their own guys and they will do their own leg work but can sometimes use material from local writers, i see this often as its generally a win for both parties. 

I answered your third question in my first sentence. To address your final sentence, yes there is a ton of press despite our down turn. As others have pointed out the huskers are the only major football brand in town and have been hyper successful at that, when combined with the fiscally loyal nature of its fan base you have a very lucrative team for media entities and they are all fighting for a bigger piece of the pie of a very profitable pie.

Funny enough, huskers sports coverage has probably been why the Omaha and Lincoln newspapers continue to be successful while most other regional newspapers continue to struggle. 

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

I could if I wanted, the arrangement with reddit is very loose and free, but I've never seen a need or a desire to. 

A few years ago, I was told it was frowned upon (if not outright banned) to wear red on Memorial Stadium's press floor if you were an outside media member. I never really got clarification on that because I didn't spend a lot of time there on gamedays, but I've always wondered if that was just some spook legend or the truth.

It may have also just been a way of our sports director trying to entice people towards neutrality through fear.

Either way, I never wore red to the stadium when I worked. :lol: