Tristan Gebbia

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

-Tom Osborne heavily recruits Scott Frost to play at Nebraska.
-Frost rejects his offer and goes to Stanford.
-Frost turns to Osborne in a time of need for advice; Osborne advises him to stay at Stanford.

-Frost rejects Osborne's advice and transfers to Nebraska.

What a selfish, disloyal, misguided decision of young Scott Frost. 

If only he had someone to give him the right advi...oh...wait...

So you are saying he should have suggested he go to Oklahoma like a good coach/dad would?

• Plus1 1

Just now, Landlord said:

Remember back when that weak, selfish, second-rate quarterback with no leadership skills transferred from Stanford to Nebraska when he wasn't the starter?

I think people (myself included although I’m not mad) see leaving before May a bit differently from leaving 5 days before the 1st game.

For comparison see the reaction to POB leaving, although I suppose a bigger part of that is he was 4th string at that point.

• Plus1 4

Not much different than last year at the QB position.  We had Lee to run the position and POB was not ready to run that system.  Riley wanted to keep Gebbias redshirt and not many here have even heard of Bunch yet.  

This year we have at least 1 qb that is tailor made for this system, Bunch- a very serviceable backup, and Masker- a guy in an emergency situation could probably learn to distribute the ball to our playmakers. This is not the ideal situation but it is workable.  One positive is that Martinez will not have to look over his shoulder and no fans questioning whether the staff made the right choice on QB1.  I think with Bunch or Masker we should still be able to beat the matchup opponents on our schedule with an improved OL and Defense.  We will not be able to beat the top of our schedule if we have an injury at the QB spot.  

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

How did you get that?

All I'm saying is that no matter how hard Gebbia worked he wasn't going to win the starting job here. Why? Because Martinez is the guy the coaches wanted to win it all along. 

So, Gebbia wasn't going to win the job no matter what?  So, the coaches were lying to us the past few weeks?  You don't think there was a real competition?

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think people (myself included although I’m not mad) see leaving before May a bit differently from leaving 5 days before the 1st game.

For comparison see the reaction to POB leaving, although I suppose a bigger part of that is he was 4th string at that point.

Gebbia leaving this week leaves the team in a much bigger lurch than if he had done it 4 months ago or even 4 weeks ago.

I think Frost is disappointed to invested so much energy, practice time, and reps to Gebbia to give him a chance to compete for the job, only for him to leave after losing the job.  I am sure Frost is thinking "s#!t, I should have just given all of those 1st team reps to Martinez".

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Not much different than last year at the QB position.  We had Lee to run the position and POB was not ready to run that system.  Riley wanted to keep Gebbias redshirt and not many here have even heard of Bunch yet.  

This year we have at least 1 qb that is tailor made for this system, Bunch- a very serviceable backup, and Masker- a guy in an emergency situation could probably learn to distribute the ball to our playmakers. This is not the ideal situation but it is workable.  One positive is that Martinez will not have to look over his shoulder and no fans questioning whether the staff made the right choice on QB1.  I think with Bunch or Masker we should still be able to beat the matchup opponents on our schedule with an improved OL and Defense.  We will not be able to beat the top of our schedule if we have an injury at the QB spot.  

You’re wrong about one thing. People in this very topic are accusing Frost and Verduzco of picking Martinez because they wanted him to win. 

Why they would want Martinez to win if he was the lesser QB is beyond me, and why they would waste all those reps on Gebbia if he wasn’t given a fair shake is beyond me, and why people would question Frost after the success he’s had with QBs is beyond me.

• Plus1 9
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You’re wrong about one thing. People in this very topic are accusing Frost and Verduzco of picking Martinez because they wanted him to win. 

Why they would want Martinez to win if he was the lesser QB is beyond me, and why they would waste all those reps on Gebbia if he wasn’t given a fair shake is beyond me, and why people would question Frost after the success he’s had with QBs is beyond me.

+1

I understand people may have been invested in Gebbia and hoped he would have won the QB1 job, and are even more upset about it after he decided to transfer from NU.  But, a number of people praised Frost and Verduzco for so long, and are now changing their minds at a moment's notice just because Gebbia didn't win the QB competition and transferred out.

I am not saying Frost and Verduzco are perfect, I am sure they make plenty of mistakes.  But, I don't get the conspiracy theories floating around after Martinez won the job in a competition held over weeks of practices.

• Plus1 1

Gebbia truly believed he had a decent shot at the job.  You could tell by some of his runs during scrimmages, he wanted to impress his coaches.  Show them he wasn't just a pocket guy.  But, it also appears he had a contingency plan in case it didn't work out that way.  You can't believe for a second the staff led him on during all this.  Was given every shot that Martinez was.  

35 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

This is a red herring imo because Tristan is a very hard worker and it won't matter where he goes as far as D1 programs are concerned, this kid is going to graduate. Has he ever had any academic issues to make you think he needs the extra academic support NU provides it's athletes?

What are the odds of making it to the NFL as a backup? Probably right next to zero. 1.6% is better than zero and with Gebbia's work ethic his chances are probably higher than that assuming he doesn't suffer a career ending injury.

You're essentially telling the kid to not pursue his dreams because, well....Nebraska...

What if the decision on whether or not to transfer has to do with something other than TG's dreams?  He committed to play for us.  In return we gave him one of our 85 scholarship slots.  We can't get that scholarship back for 2018.  It's burned.  That, and there's a whole roster full of teammates depending on him being on the team.  But now all that's left is an empty locker with Tristan Gebbia's name on it.  And an empty scholarship.  

It's too bad that he didn't win the starting job.  But when you commit to a team and have teammates depending on you, you can't just pick up and leave if things don't go exactly the right way for you.  Now we'll be razor thin at  the QB position for the year.  And we have a wasted scholarship that could have gone to some other player who would have been loyal to his team.  

I can't understand why so many people in this thread are arguing that it's okay for TG to leave.  Have you never been on a team before?  Haven't you ever had teammates depending on you?  

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

It's too bad that he didn't win the starting job.  But when you commit to a team and have teammates depending on you, you can't just pick up and leave if things don't go exactly the right way for you. 

Yes you can. You can totally do that??? And if it's in your best interest then you should do that. 

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

I can't understand why so many people in this thread are arguing that it's okay for TG to leave.  Have you never been on a team before?  Haven't you ever had teammates depending on you?  

Have you ever quit a job for a better job that was better for you? How dare you. That company was depending on you. 

• Plus1 8
5 minutes ago, NUance said:

What if the decision on whether or not to transfer has to do with something other than TG's dreams?  He committed to play for us.  In return we gave him one of our 85 scholarship slots.  We can't get that scholarship back for 2018.  It's burned.  That, and there's a whole roster full of teammates depending on him being on the team.  But now all that's left is an empty locker with Tristan Gebbia's name on it.  And an empty scholarship.  

It's too bad that he didn't win the starting job.  But when you commit to a team and have teammates depending on you, you can't just pick up and leave if things don't go exactly the right way for you.  Now we'll be razor thin at  the QB position for the year.  And we have a wasted scholarship that could have gone to some other player who would have been loyal to his team.  

My posts have always been "I understand why TG is leaving" rather than "he needs to stick around because he's part of a team".  If my son were in this situation, I am not sure what I would advise him on.  I would like to think that I would advise that he needs to stick around and be part of the team and contribute whatever way he can.  But, I would also want him to be happy, and when it comes down to it, the decision would be his.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yes you can. You can totally do that??? And if it's in your best interest then you should do that. 

Have you ever quit a job for a better job that was better for you? How dare you. That company was depending on you. 

Actually I haven't.  I've only left jobs when they didn't come through with what they promised.   Unfortunately there are a lot of people around who don't live up to their word.  Even when they have teammates depending on them. 

But your comparison fails.  If an employee leaves the company can simply go out and hire another employee.  The Huskers can't do that.  The rest of the team will just have to carry on with one empty scholarship slot.  

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Remember back when that weak, selfish, second-rate quarterback with no leadership skills transferred from Stanford to Nebraska when he wasn't the starter?

* A 3-win Stanford team.... The dude couldn't earn the starting spot on a 3 win team. Weak.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia