Tristan Gebbia

16 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

They were speaking to Martinez minutes after their bowl game before they even announced that the staff was coming to Lincoln. When he committed, it was rumored he would start. Good on Gebbia for sticking it out while he did, but Martinez has been their guy the entire time and it would have taken a nearly perfect camp to change that

You have no idea whether that’s true. Worse, actually. You are accusing Frost and Verduzco of lying.

Of course it was rumored he would start. Fans are fans. That doesn’t mean it came from the coaches or that they didn’t give both QBs an equal chance.

Gebbia lost the job because he wasn’t as good as Martinez up through Saturday.

I’m not sure why anyone believes Frost and Verduzco are lying rather than believe Martinez won the job fair and square. One of these things requires a wild imagination. The other doesn’t.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

You have no idea whether that’s true. Worse, actually. You are accusing Frost and Verduzco of lying.

Of course it was rumored he would start. Fans are fans. That doesn’t mean it came from the coaches or that they didn’t give both QBs an equal chance.

But all things being equal, Martinez was going to win out as he is their guy. Nothing wrong with it. If anything, Gebbia likely surprised them that they took so long. 

Gebbia can (and will) play. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

But all things being equal, Martinez was going to win out as he is their guy. Nothing wrong with it. If anything, Gebbia likely surprised them that they took so long. 

I am on the defensive because there have actually been people saying they decided it was Martinez long ago and didn’t give Gebbia a fair chance.

I still don’t buy what you’re saying though. I don’t think it was a tie. I think Martinez won fair and square. But even if it had been a tie on tangibles he would have won it for having more upside due to learning all of this and growing in only 8 months of being on campus. It seemed pretty obvious to me Gebbia was treated fairly and lost the job because he wasn’t quite as good.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost just bailed on his commitment to a team eight months ago, if you want to frame it that way.

I guess some might say turn about is fair play.

Boy, I don't know.  That's splitting hairs.  UCF isn't in a Power 5 conference.  They along with the players had to know they weren't keeping Frost and staff if they were highly successful.  Gebbia wasn't recruited by Frost.  Almost everyone had to know that he wasn't staying unless he was the starter.  It was already discussed when POB left that Gebbia would be next if he wasn't the starter going into this season.  Frost made a decision to advance his career.  Gebbia made a decision to advance his career.  Personally, I don't see either one as bailing from their commitment.  I see both as trying to better their situation.  Ask Pat Hill what happens when you stay at a non-Power 5 team too long. 

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

Boy, I don't know.  That's splitting hairs.  UCF isn't in a Power 5 conference.  They along with the players had to know they weren't keeping Frost and staff if they were highly successful.  Gebbia wasn't recruited by Frost.  Almost everyone had to know that he wasn't staying unless he was the starter.  It was already discussed when POB left that Gebbia would be next if he wasn't the starter going into this season.  Frost made a decision to advance his career.  Gebbia made a decision to advance his career.  Personally, I don't see either one as bailing from their commitment.  I see both as trying to better their situation.  Ask Pat Hill what happens when you stay at a non-Power 5 team too long. 

Pat Hill!  Loved him!  

I think he is also loving life right now.

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I am on the defensive because there have actually been people saying they decided it was Martinez long ago and didn’t give Gebbia a fair chance.

I still don’t buy what you’re saying though. I don’t think it was a tie. I think Martinez won fair and square. But even if it had been a tie on tangibles he would have won it for having more upside due to learning all of this and growing in only 8 months of being on campus. It seemed pretty obvious to me Gebbia was treated fairly and lost the job because he wasn’t quite as good.

BC said he thought the line between two was almost indistinguishable until TG had a sloppy scrimmage throwing the ball   He also added if it’s 3rd and five, you really need Martinez’s running ability. 

59 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Thus you have to have an open competition to see if all (other) things are equal.

4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I heard Tristan found a new school, where they want him to start.  It is called Gebbia U and they are looking for 122 guys, but no serious competition.

They are also seeking short-sighted individuals who don't realize that in the blink of an eye/twist of an ACL they could be the man .

RightCavernousAnnelid-size_restricted.gi

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Perhaps he would have handled it like Saban has with not naming a starter and playing both in the first game... that pretty much excludes a transfer until next semester. 

Yep.  I thought about this.  He could have secured both QB's on the roster doing this.  Sounds like he was completely caught off guard.  Gebbia was repping Nebraska everywhere it seemed including the BTN pre-season Nebraska show.  He really seemed like a team guy.  So to me Frost probably never thought he would leave.  And he said Gebbia took the news OK.  Sounds like others got in Gebbia's ear though.  He probably couldn't overcome close voices that have helped him get to where he has...assume others have managed the plan B for him the whole time just letting him focus on football.  Gebbia just doesn't strike me as one to up and quit so it is all business.  That's the way it is with QB's these days. They put in so much time and there can only be one starter.   The end of the day payoff is huge for years worth of work.  As a fan I of course wanted him to stay but can't fault him in the end.  We have benefited from transfer-ins so it happens.  But such a high profile position, we got used to the idea we'd have 2 good QB's to keep us in every game, and again Gebbia seemed like a really good teammate and loved NU so it is shocking.  Now AM's job just got insanely BIG which no telling yet how that impacts his state of mind.  I thought what Frost said about supporting our players on what they want to do yet needing to roll with the guys that are here is probably the best way to sum this up.  I assume once the dust settles, Gebbia will have nice things to say about NU.  And we roll with AM...this dude needs all of our support...pledge now to bite your tongue when he makes a newbie mistake.  GBR.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, NUance said:

I'm glad he was willing to compete.  But I wish he wouldn''t have sold everyone out when he missed winning the starting job by a hair's breadth.  

As for timing, back in January if the staff knew he was going bail out if he didn't win the starting job, do you think they would have encouraged him to stay?  Would anyone on the team have wanted him to stay if he had told them he'd bail if he didn't get the nod to start?  Would the fans have wanted him to stay?  

Or don't consider the reason.

I wish he would have stayed too, but obviously if he thinks he's good enough to play he's not going to want to effectively sit out for 3 straight years.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:50 PM, Pedro G said:

If he decides to go the juco rout, where? He will most likely have to learn a new system as he goes through this season, and he may not be ready to start until way later in the season. If he transfers to another Power Five school, he has a year to learn their system and be better prepared for 2019 than if goes one year to a juco school. 

This will be my final comment — it’s time to close this. The bottom line is right after spring camp, Frost should have had a meeting with both QBs and told them that  likely one of you will be the starting quarterback next season. Can I count on you to stick around next season if you don’t win the starting job? As team players, we need you in case one of you gets injured, and you need to be ready to play. Can I count on you? Something like that.

I mean its getting to the point where teams wont even be able to field a roster for their season anymore and the NCAA needs to make some rules to ensure players dont up and leave a week before a game. Its fine to transfer, but now we lose a roster spot and a scholarship for 4 or so players that decided to transfer over the past couple weeks.

My suggestion is you only have certain months you can transfer. Lets say from December 1st-January 15. Right after the season and before signing day. That way teams can plan ahead. Lets say its like a two week notice we all give when we quit a job. And then from April 1-beginning of summer workouts in June. After spring ball but before the season. That way teams can get their foot in with some graduate transfers or transfers from other schools before fall camp. And cut out the stupid sit out a year rule. That way the player doesnt lose two years because they are mandated to finish the year at the school they signed with if they start summer workouts with that team. Just my 2 cents here. 

• Plus1 5
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia