Tristan Gebbia

9 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I read that article some time ago.  I've also been watching footage of OSU's practices and haven't seen Mike in any of them.  I'm not saying he's not there because I can't say that definitively, but I haven't seen him and I've been looking.

Hmmm...I think I see a really nice guy at 6:24 in this one.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, FTW said:

Then we agree to disagree. I think committing to a program is more important than any one coach. That is why they're teaching "team before me." When we rattled off championships, kids grew up here dreaming to play for Nebraska not just for Coach Osborne but for the state. That passion died a long time ago. It'll come back again. 

I agree. I really dislike what TG did. Transfer in the spring. Don't wait until game week. Yes it may be best for TG, but he left his team without a backup (another could have been recruited, Bunch would have been better prepared, etc.), and he cost a scholarship to a deserving walkon. I do not think the argument of transferring is OK because it was best for TG. Do the guys that robbed Frost's house get off by making the argument that it was best for them?

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I agree. I really dislike what TG did. Transfer in the spring. Don't wait until game week. Yes it may be best for TG, but he left his team without a backup (another could have been recruited, Bunch would have been better prepared, etc.), and he cost a scholarship to a deserving walkon. I do not think the argument of transferring is OK because it was best for TG. Do the guys that robbed Frost's house get off by making the argument that it was best for them?

Thats totally comparing apples to oranges

• Plus1 2

I don't think you should be allowed to make this decision 48 hours after being informed you won't be the starter. All but 22 of your teammates are in the same position, and some of those 22 won't be starting at season's end. That's how the game works.

The history of back-up quarterbacks stepping in and becoming heroes is just as long as transfer quarterbacks who have their dreams come true at the new school. 

• Plus1 3

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think you should be allowed to make this decision 48 hours after being informed you won't be the starter. All but 22 of your teammates are in the same position, and some of those 22 won't be starting at season's end. That's how the game works.

The history of back-up quarterbacks stepping in and becoming heroes is just as long as transfer quarterbacks who have their dreams come true at the new school. 

Considering every other position has been said to be a rotation, no, they aren't in the same position.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Longer I’d guess. There aren’t many like Russell Wilson. 

QBs don’t rotate like the other positions though. The only other positions similar are K and P. Maybe C.

15 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

By staying past the scholarship, he knew it would cost a teammate a scholarship. Planning to leave if you are not the starter, hurts the entire team, but specifically, it robs a walkon of approximately $20,000.

I understand what you're trying to get at, and like most on here I don't like what Gebbia did, but we have no idea if he planned on leaving if not being named starter before Saturday or not. But we also don't know who/what else may have pushed him to leave, hell we dont know that if Gebbia would have stayed he would have turned bitter and became a cancer or not. There is so many variables and we no virtually nothing short of Martinez got the nod and Gebbia made the decision to transfer. We gotta take this at face value, say damned the luck, move on to Saturday, and watch our Husker beat the hell out of the Zips

5 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Kids today are all about relationships.  

What a travesty :P :lol:

46 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

He left his team without one backup (there are others) in a rebuilding year with no real hope for a championship or any other standard/goal that Nebraska has. Frankly, this barely hurts Nebraska at all. On the other hand, losing another year of eligibility could hurt Tristan far worse, proportionately speaking.

As far as the robbers, I mean, you're comparing a situation where people are committing a crime and there's an actual victim to a kid deciding to play football at a different school? ...wut?

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

All but 22 of your teammates are in the same position, and some of those 22 won't be starting at season's end. That's how the game works.

Re: the bold, that's not true at all. Quarterback is unlike all other 21 positions on the field and you know that. 

As far as the history of backups vs transfers, here's the lists I can come up with off the top of my head. Obviously not scientific, just who I could recall quickly:

Transfers:

Russell Wilson

Baker Mayfield

Cam Newton

Ryan Mallet

Jake Coker

Nick Marshall

Nick Foles

Vince Ferragamo

Scott Frost

Troy Aikman

Backups:

Brook Berringer

Matt Cassell

Alabama's freshman they put in the national title game

J.T. Barrett

Cardale Jones

• Plus1 1

I don't have a problem with him leaving. Logically, it mostly makes sense. But the timing sucks, and from what it appears, they had this card ready to play if he didn't get the job. So when he talked to Verduzco and Frost on Saturday, he wasn't truthful. Curious to hear what his teammates think.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I don't have a problem with him leaving. Logically, it mostly makes sense. But the timing sucks, and from what it appears, they had this card ready to play if he didn't get the job. So when he talked to Verduzco and Frost on Saturday, he wasn't truthful. Curious to hear what his teammates think.

My theory is his dad (who said last fall that California players wouldn’t come to Nebraska anymore if Riley was fired) had it planned out but didn’t want to mess with his head by saying “in case you don’t win the job...”

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

My theory is his dad (who said last fall that California players wouldn’t come to Nebraska anymore if Riley was fired) had it planned out but didn’t want to mess with his head by saying “in case you don’t win the job...”

After listening to Big Red Wrap Up, and the latest HOL podcast... this seems to be pretty accurate. So it's less knee-jerk, and more pre-meditated. I don't know which is worse.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would bet Mr. Nice Guy was on the phone to somebody after the depth chart was released Sunday morning.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia